Kia Seltos Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experienced this in IL on my return trip to AZ. There was a really bad accident on SB I-55 that forced the state troopers to shut down both lanes and slowly let traffic go slowly on the right shoulder. It was a stop/go for 45 minutes and the transmission temperature climbed to the middle of the gauge. So, when you are stuck in traffic, watch your transmission temp. You don’t want to see that gauge climb up to the red zone.

·
2021 Kia Seltos, 2.0 AWD
10 Posts
I dont know much about the DCT used in the Seltos.. Its it similar to the one used in the Ford Fiesta and Focus? There were incredible problems with those.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a 2.0L Seltos. I don’t think yours has a DCT 7 speed transmission.

·
2021 Kia Seltos, 2.0 AWD
10 Posts

·
2007 Dodge Caliber
12 Posts
From my understanding the DCT is a dry clutch type, reviewers also complain about the DCT heating up too easily. Someone mentioned it went up a few bars just trying to find a parking space.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
8 Posts
I've driven in heavy traffic and high summer heat in California and have never experienced the transmission overheat. I've owned the car for about a year. It's even driven through many heavy Sunday traffic (which lasts for few hours of bumper to bumper) leaving Las Vegas. I use the stop and go feature and leave it on. I don't mind it and i think it helps the transmission stay cooler. I also don't ride on the brakes. When I drive it, I drive it like a manual in mind but without a clutch pedal.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know that it doesn’t overheat in heavy traffic “which lasts for few hours”.

I’m surprised your ISG continued to function in stop/go traffic which lasted for ”few hours”. Really? Haven’t been in that situation and I’ve disabled my ISG.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
8 Posts
Good to know that it doesn’t overheat in heavy traffic “which lasts for few hours”.

I’m surprised your ISG continued to function in stop/go traffic which lasted for ”few hours”. Really? Haven’t been in that situation and I’ve disabled my ISG.
Really. When the entire SoCal leaves Vegas on a Sunday, it can take up to 10 hours to drive back home. You can get to and from Vegas 4-5 hours on a weekday. California traffic sucks. My Seltos has been great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really. When the entire SoCal leaves Vegas on a Sunday, it can take up to 10 hours to drive back home. You can get to and from Vegas 4-5 hours on a weekday. California traffic sucks. My Seltos has been great.

Yes, I understand the California traffic sucks. But your ISG remains active during the entire “few hours” of stop and go traffic? With the AC on driving in the “summer heat”, ISG remains active? I thought the computer is supposed to de-activate ISG when the AC is working hard! Just wondering.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
8 Posts
It will still work, but it turns the engine back on after it reaches a certain point. I'm not sure how on a KIA, but perhaps the ecu measures the battery voltage and cabin temperature and uses that info like the Volkswagens. My VW Atlas i used to have did it that way.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will still work, but it turns the engine back on after it reaches a certain point. I'm not sure how on a KIA, but perhaps the ecu measures the battery voltage and cabin temperature and uses that info like the Volkswagens. My VW Atlas i used to have did it that way.

Do you have a KIA or a volkswagen? I thought you had your ISG when you were in a stop and go traffic for a “few hours” on a hot summer day. You should have experienced how KIA ECU managed the behavior of the ISG. I will probably remove the permanent disabling tool that I have on my ISG switch next time in a stop and go traffic and see for myself the behavior of the ISG and the heating up of the DCT. Then, I can honestly report my findings here.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
8 Posts
Do you have a KIA or a volkswagen? I thought you had your ISG when you were in a stop and go traffic for a “few hours” on a hot summer day. You should have experienced how KIA ECU managed the behavior of the ISG. I will probably remove the permanent disabling tool that I have on my ISG switch next time in a stop and go traffic and see for myself the behavior of the ISG and the heating up of the DCT. Then, I can honestly report my findings here.
You seem irritated. I'll do you a solid and unsubscribe. You have a nice evening.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No, I’m not irritated. I’m just saying that when I am in another stop/go, I will re-enable my ISG and see how the DCT and ISG affect the heat buildup of the transmission.

·
25 Posts
I experienced this in IL on my return trip to AZ. There was a really bad accident on SB I-55 that forced the state troopers to shut down both lanes and slowly let traffic go slowly on the right shoulder. It was a stop/go for 45 minutes and the transmission temperature climbed to the middle of the gauge. So, when you are stuck in traffic, watch your transmission temp. You don’t want to see that gauge climb up to the red zone.
I have driven 20K miles in 6-7 months in Florida and stop and go traffic without any issues

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have driven 20K miles in 6-7 months in Florida and stop and go traffic without any issues
Right, no issues. I was just reporting the transmission temp rise during stop/go traffic. That’s all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts