Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I scheduled my 30K maintenance appointment at my local dealer yesterday. Their price is $509.00! It is shocking to hear that. How much did you pay for your 30k? I think I will just do alacarte with Oil/Filter change and Tire Rotation. Iwill do the cabin and engine filters. What do you recommend for cabin filter? How about Engine Filter? Thanks in advance.

·
304 Posts
We have a chain here in CO called Brakes Plus. I've been going there for 20 years. What I am doing is 1) changing air and cabin filter myself (just search for part #, buy on Amazon, Rock Auto etc), 2) buying genuine Kia oil filters (and crush rings) online (< $10 a piece, they aren't much at a dealer either if you live nearby), 3) bringing the filter/crush ring to Brakes Plus and type up the maintenance items (e.g., 6000 mile items, 12,000 mile items), 4) they change the oil and use the Kia filter and document on the invoice "customer supplied Kia filter, and 12,000 mile maintenance items checked" - checking over the maintenance items is easy (for them) and they don't charge me. We staple the list of maintenance checks to the invoice. (The only issue with the Seltos is that they are willing to check the alignment but don't want to make adjustments due to the safety systems....Les Schwab stores say they can do that and of course the dealer can - about $90 here - they say only mechanical changes are needed, not recalibration of safety systems so I hope Brakes Plus gets on board!) I know that for the "valve clearance" inspection at 60,000 miles that I will take to the dealer, but the inspections and fluid replacements are what decent mechanics should be doing anyway, and I have the documentation that should satisfy Kia.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s great that you do that. But for me, I go straight to the dealer for scheduled maintenance. It’s just me but I do the engine and cabin filters myself which I buy from Amazon.

After the maintenance was done, the service advisor told me that I should come back sometime for a “GDI Induction Service” which costs $289. I looked it up in the manual, there is no such maintenance item for the 2021 SX Turbo!

·
304 Posts
I really think they try to take too much money out of my old, tired, and retired wallet.... You should be pouring a bottle of the Techron cleaner in regularly re the GDI stuff.... The second article below confirms that the service you mentioned, with its various names, is not the usual maintenance schedules and is not needed as often as your service dept says... It suggests a 60,000 mile cycle or when the symptoms listed in the article are happening. I get the Techron at WalMart (up to almost $10 a bottle) and just use it 2x a year, regardless of mileage. It would be nice if these things were more straight forward....

Brief description of why the fuel induction service is needed: Does my Kia need a yearly fuel-induction service?
Mechanic's suggestion on how often (probably 60,000 miles...): What Is Fuel Induction Service? 7 Signs Your Car Needs Fuel Cleaning | Virginia Tire & Auto

Attachments

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really think they try to take too much money out of my old, tired, and retired wallet.... You should be pouring a bottle of the Techron cleaner in regularly re the GDI stuff.... The second article below confirms that the service you mentioned, with its various names, is not the usual maintenance schedules and is not needed as often as your service dept says... It suggests a 60,000 mile cycle or when the symptoms listed in the article are happening. I get the Techron at WalMart (up to almost $10 a bottle) and just use it 2x a year, regardless of mileage. It would be nice if these things were more straight forward....

Brief description of why the fuel induction service is needed: Does my Kia need a yearly fuel-induction service?
Mechanic's suggestion on how often (probably 60,000 miles...): What Is Fuel Induction Service? 7 Signs Your Car Needs Fuel Cleaning | Virginia Tire & Auto
Me too, I am retired and my wallet is old and has holes on the corners. I reviewed my 12k & 24k service work orders and I did not see a Fuel Additive item charged to my invoice. Fuel Additive is the number one item on the maintenance schedule from the SX Turbo manual. Although there are coded items CF5 and MOA which were $17.62 and $16.95 respectively. One of those could be the additive, who knows. I don’t see those on my 30k invoice. I will do the Walmart Techron as you have suggested - thanks.

·
304 Posts
Looks like they took care of it on your first two services (and didn't hurt you bad on price), but missed on 30k?? Weird. Below is what I found searching for CF5 and MOA.... Techron is what the parts dept told me here.... Let me know what you decide on the induction service....personally, I'd wait till 60K unless there are symptoms.....hoho.

·
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
196 Posts
It’s great that you do that. But for me, I go straight to the dealer for scheduled maintenance. It’s just me but I do the engine and cabin filters myself which I buy from Amazon.

After the maintenance was done, the service advisor told me that I should come back sometime for a “GDI Induction Service” which costs $289. I looked it up in the manual, there is no such maintenance item for the 2021 SX Turbo!
Do the GDI induction service, you don't want the valves gunking up...GDI engines are notorious for this.

·
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
196 Posts

Fuel system cleaner is great, but GDI engines don't spray fuel on the back of the valves, which is where the problems start. Fuel additives will do absolutely nothing to relieve valve gunk on a GDI.
You're better off to ensure that you use a top quality synthetic like Amsoil signature to help reduce the potential.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like they took care of it on your first two services (and didn't hurt you bad on price), but missed on 30k?? Weird. Below is what I found searching for CF5 and MOA.... Techron is what the parts dept told me here.... Let me know what you decide on the induction service....personally, I'd wait till 60K unless there are symptoms.....hoho.

View attachment 1509
View attachment 1510
That’s right, they did not do those on my 30k! No, I’m not gonna worry about these additives or the induction servoce item. I’m going to trade this SXT with a roomier 2023 Hyundai.

·
304 Posts
Nice - I'll worry around 60K unless some problem before then, but at my rate I'll be dead before then. We decided after this last CO to WA trip for the grandkids, for various reason, that we wouldn't drive any more....that leaves just a few miles around town. I'm sure we'd all be interested on the trade you get.....should be good!

·
93 Posts
Guys, I scheduled my 30K maintenance appointment at my local dealer yesterday. Their price is $509.00! It is shocking to hear that. How much did you pay for your 30k? I think I will just do alacarte with Oil/Filter change and Tire Rotation. Iwill do the cabin and engine filters. What do you recommend for cabin filter? How about Engine Filter? Thanks in advance.
Any cabin air filter is fine. I prefer WIX but since it doesn't affect the vehicle, a filter is a filter. If you have trouble finding one for a 2021 Seltos, note, a 2017 Sportage cabin filter is the same part number

·
18 Posts
I do all my own work.

For the 30k I rotated all tires, changed oil with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 synthetic (as I always do). I replaced both cabin and engine air filters with OEM Kia replacements (bought them at the dealer).

I also drained and replaced the transmission and rear differential fluid. This is not necessary, but I like to be early on these things. I made a video of doing both, if you're interested.

I just don't trust those sloppy techs at most dealers, so I always do my own work (but I work on cars quite a bit so I've got some good experience). I have almost always had bad luck with them, or any dealer for that matter.

As for the GDI service: Usually what this refers to is a spray-in valve/port cleaner. It's nothing special and you can absolutely do it on your own, very easily, at a fraction of the cost. Just head to AutoZone and buy any GDI Engine cleaner that comes in a spray. Simply start up the engine, pop off the airbox, have someone in the car to hold the revs at around 2,000 RPM, then start spraying in the intake piping so the engine sucks it all in. It will make it sputter a bit. Once the can is empty you are done. You can check out videos on YouTube on how to do it, some guys have even shown before and after results...

...in my opinion it's worth doing every now and again. No matter which oil you use and even if you put on an oil catch can, you WILL get carbon build up on a direct- injection engine (unless of course it has port injectors too). Of course said things can help reduce the carbon deposits a little bit, nothing will stop it. But, if you do the GDI cleaning every 20-30k miles it will actually help keep those intake valves pretty clean so that it doesn't become a problem later on.

Regardless, that service is NOT worth the price they quoted you! It's so frustrating how much dealers charge for simple things like that. Those guys are thieves. Not even joking.

Anyway, this is a good reminder for me. I need to do that on my wife's Seltos. I already have the spray can I just keep forgetting about it! Perhaps I should make a video when I get around to it... 🤔

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing! Obviously, from the novel I just wrote I'm sure you can tell that I vote you do it yourself for a fraction of the cost!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts