Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up a 2022 Selto's SX in the USA (Kansas). All documentation we saw said the Apple CarPlay would work. But the dealership could not get it to work with the I-phone. So we called Kia Support and they are telling me that the carplay won't work on the car's that have the 10.25" screen but will on the 8" screen (low level option car). Is this true?

thanks for help

·
168 Posts
1. Which iPhone are you using?

2. What software version on the iPhone (Settings > General > About). If it’s lower than 15.4, update the phone through Settings > General > Software Update

3. What kind of cable are you using to plug into the Seltos? I’ve had problems with nearly all aftermarket cables and have opted for the more expensive Apple-brand cables which work flawlessly. Feel free to post a picture of your cable if you’re not sure and I can verify

4. Which USB port in the Seltos are you plugging it into?

5. Can you verify that CarPlay is enabled in the Seltos? (Press the SETUP physical button below the screen, tap on device connections, tap on Phone Projection Settings, tap on Apple CarPlay on the left side, and make sure the “Enable Apple CarPlay” checkbox is checked)

6. If all the above doesn’t work, talk to the dealer. They’re not usually good with troubleshooting CarPlay, but they can replace the head unit or USB ports under warranty

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To clarify, Apple CarPlay works fine with the cable plugged in. We just thought this could be possible without the Apple Cable/USB connection, i.e., that was my real question.

thanks

·
168 Posts
We just thought this could be possible without the Apple Cable/USB connection
Dealer is correct on that. Only lower trim gets wireless CarPlay/Android Auto.

There’s a company called CarlinKit that sells a wireless adapter. Latency is sometimes a problem though which is why I stopped using mine.

I’m a big fan of the “AI boxes” that run phone software on their own. It ends up giving your car a huge standalone software upgrade without the need to connect your phone to a cable each time to use the Android Auto and CarPlay features. It runs android auto by itself (nothing connected at all) or will do wireless CarPlay with an iPhone in your pocket.

I’ll put a link below - it might still be a little bit of an early adoption tech though.. not for the fainthearted. CarlinKit’s sales pages look scammy but it’s just bad design/advertising. Their products are pretty solid - lots of people in my radar detector forum love them.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's quite pricey. a quick look on the internet shows many manufacturers of devices. So, we'll figure something out. Thanks for the replies.

·
168 Posts
Yeah those are just the wireless adapters - they don’t have built-in phone software for it to run independently, but simply enable a wireless CarPlay connection to your phone. It gives you the functionality of the lower Seltos trim wireless CarPlay. I have the 3.0 (the first one on that link you posted) and it’s okay, but it has slow response times. I stopped using it.

The one that I linked above for $235 is a totally different product by the same company who makes the adapter. It’s basically a phone without a screen that allows your car to operate fully independently without needing your normal phone (and also allows YouTube and Netflix apps). And then you can choose to have it connected to your phone for phone calls if you want to, but I just connect my phone to the regular Seltos Bluetooth.

Different uses for both devices. I’ve just found that the AI box is smoother and more responsive on the Seltos touchscreen (compared to the wireless adapter) and I also use it for some other apps on my touchscreen that CarPlay wouldn’t allow me to use.

·
36 Posts
To clarify, Apple CarPlay works fine with the cable plugged in. We just thought this could be possible without the Apple Cable/USB connection, i.e., that was my real question.

thanks
I know they don't have wireless CarPlay like the Hyundai's do, but in my experience with rental Hyundai's...count yourself lucky...it sucks...bad.
Any vehicles I've rented It would randomly disconnect and not hook back up and there is no option to use a cable.
Don't know if they have resolved that issue but it was a prevalent complaint on a lot of Hyundai forums I checked.

There’s a company called CarlinKit that sells a wireless adapter. Latency is sometimes a problem though which is why I stopped using mine.

That looks interesting, I may check that out when I take delivery of mine.

·
6 Posts
We just picked up a 2022 Selto's SX in the USA (Kansas). All documentation we saw said the Apple CarPlay would work. But the dealership could not get it to work with the I-phone. So we called Kia Support and they are telling me that the carplay won't work on the car's that have the 10.25" screen but will on the 8" screen (low level option car). Is this true?

thanks for help
I have the larger screen. You do have your phone plugged in, right? That’s the only way u can get apple or google etc

·
31 Posts
I have the larger screen. You do have your phone plugged in, right? That’s the only way u can get apple or google etc
My understanding is that because of licensing issues, the larger screen in the SX is not supported for wireless Apple Carplay, hence the smaller screen on the lower trims. Who knows if that will ever change, but for now CarPlay works fine with most cables. I have a coiled USB that I used on my past car and it works fine, some noname brand.

·
36 Posts
My understanding is that because of licensing issues, the larger screen in the SX is not supported for wireless Apple Carplay, hence the smaller screen on the lower trims. Who knows if that will ever change, but for now CarPlay works fine with most cables. I have a coiled USB that I used on my past car and it works fine, some noname brand.
On a related side note, how sensitive is the Kia system to aftermarket iPhone cables? Have you found any drops in connection using the aftermarket cord?
My 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk absolutely refuses to connect CarPlay reliably with anything except the genuine Apple cord. (certified cable or not)

·
31 Posts
This is the cable I use, my wife and I each have one. Works fine in her Santa Fe and in the Seltos. The coil keeps it neat and compact.

I can understand that some cheap no name cables don't work, but there are many others that really should work fine.

Just because the cable works for charging, doesn't mean it will work for data/CarPlay. Could be in your case it somehow checks the cable is real Apple (is there a chip in the cable, I forget?, there may be).

You want to make sure it says MFi certified, that's the chip I believe.

·
36 Posts
There is a chip and I have used MFi certified on it many times, unfortunately the Jeep system seems to be a little sensitive in that regards...lol.
Doesn't matter, I'll be in my new Seltos in 3 months or so...still love my Jeep, but it was time to get something a little cheaper on fuel...

·
84 Posts

thanks
This is correct. Wireless Apple CarPlay will only work with the smaller screens. A cable must be used for the 10.25 screen. Wireless abilities for the 10.25 will come out in a future S/W release

·
41 Posts
I know they don't have wireless CarPlay like the Hyundai's do, but in my experience with rental Hyundai's...count yourself lucky...it sucks...bad.
Any vehicles I've rented It would randomly disconnect and not hook back up and there is no option to use a cable.
Don't know if they have resolved that issue but it was a prevalent complaint on a lot of Hyundai forums I checked.

That looks interesting, I may check that out when I take delivery of mine.
No, the wireless carplay works perfectly in the KIA. No issues at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts