Kia Seltos Forum banner

2022 Kia Seltos engine tries to start then shuts off has power inside

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  tpol58 
#1 ·
I have only had my Seltos 7 months. I got into it yesterday morning started it and it tried to start then shut off. The inside had power. Radio played, system check was on, instrument panel lit up etc. It did this 2 times then I tried it again after work and same thing. My husband checked the battery it was charged. Kia had it towed and when the driver started it it started right up. Kia has had it 2 days and it starts everytime and they say they can't find anything. It's too new with low miles to do this!!! I don't trust it!! It's my first Kia and it's a nightmare so far...if it did it once it'll do it again and I'm nervous I'll be somewhere and be stranded due to it not starting

#3 ·
This exact same thing happened to me two mornings in a row on my 2021 Seltos Ex Premium. I went to remote start the vehicle, and it didn’t start. I then went outside to the vehicle, and got in and tried to start it. It started fine, but shutoff almost immediately. I tried several times in a row.

I wasn’t sure if the battery was low, so I put a battery charger on it for awhile, and sure enough it started and stayed running after that.

The next morning, it did it again. Again, I tried several times in a row to start it, and it would start, and immediately shut off. Again, I put it on the battery charger, and a couple hours later, it started and stayed running. I drove It straight to the dealership, and they did a battery/alternate/system test on it, and found nothing. I left it overnight with them, to try and start it in the morning, hoping it happen for them the next morning. Of course it didn’t. I went and picked the vehicle up again, and it hasn’t happened to me since.

I’ve ruled out the key fob, as it wouldn’t stay running when trying to start with Kia Connect app, with the remote start, or starting it from inside the vehicle with the button.

I thought maybe it was bad gas, so I filled up with fresh fuel from a different station. And as I mentioned, it hasn’t happened to me since, but like you said, it makes me nervous that it may happen again.

This happened to me on Nov 9, and again on Nov 10.

Please keep me updated if this happens to you again!

#5 ·
Mine has been at the dealer 4 days and they said they found nothing. Went to pick it up and another guy read thru my paperwork. He seemed to agree with me maybe main key fob wasn't reading or bad battery in the fob or a bad key fob. My car starts right up with the spare key fob. They replaced my battery in the fob I use daily and told me to continue the spare key for a couple weeks and if starts no problem switch back to the fob I had always used daily that they put a new battery in. If my car does the same thing it did originally its probably my key fob/or the immobilizer anti theft. My car did EVERYTHING it would do if it was being stolen when it first started having these problems. Fuel pump shut off, electrical came on fine, engine started off good then just shut off. We put it on the battery charger and my battery had a good charge and it still wouldn't start using that. The tow guy and dealer had my spare key and it started everytime just fine for them. I am hoping this is what it is. My car is to new not to trust it and have problems

#8 ·
I am having the same issues. Stalls at a light. Wouldn't start one day . And then 3 days later it's being towed. I've already changed the key fob battery and 2nd key wouldn't work either. This car is piece of crap and Kia needs to fix this problem. God forbid any drive gets stranded. Not a reliable car!!

#9 ·
Sounds like a ground, or earthing issue. Try loosening the battery terminals a little - twist them to and fro a bit, spray with a water repellant like say CRC or WD40, then retighten. It just might cure it for good. There are so may electrical/computer components in cars these days, that the ground connection is taxed quite highly. So it does not take much like cold weather/moisture, etc, to cause issues like you describe. Let's know how that goes please.