Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 2023 Seltos EX yesterday. The Sales I worked with said it will be one of the first 2023 models in Canada with a delivery of May/June. They also said they haven't heard of any major changes over the 2022. They did say that the 2023 will get a small price bump but they honored the 2022 pricing for factory orders.

Just an FYI for those who are interested in knowing.

·
57 Posts
I ordered a 2023 Seltos EX yesterday. The Sales I worked with said it will be one of the first 2023 models in Canada with a delivery of May/June. They also said they haven't heard of any major changes over the 2022. They did say that the 2023 will get a small price bump but they honored the 2022 pricing for factory orders.

Hi. I'm having a conversation in the Facebook "Kia Seltos Owners Group" about their 2023 that they've ordered, in the picture thread. Are you the same person? If not, I have some questions about what your dealer may have told you about the model year changeover timeline and any changes that may be coming in the 2023 model.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. I'm having a conversation in the Facebook "Kia Seltos Owners Group" about their 2023 that they've ordered, in the picture thread. Are you the same person? If not, I have some questions about what your dealer may have told you about the model year changeover timeline and any changes that may be coming in the 2023 model.
Nope, that's not me. I can post the emails that ive gotten from them in a bit.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Attachments

·
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
188 Posts
Yikes on the wait timeline for an EX+, which is why we went down the SX route when we ordered ours. Should have it this summer. We weren't advised to select two colours, but the Gravity Grey with Burgundy interior was actually one of the shortest lines apparently....we were much farther down the line if we ordered a black interior with that colour.

·
57 Posts
The closest dealer has very little information on the 2023 Seltos, other than that last year the model changeover was in the May/June timeframe. The associate who took our order says that none of their SX orders have been picked up in the last month by the factory, and that if the order doesn't get picked up until the 2023 model year, that they would call us to discuss model year changes and pricing differences. Time to call the other dealer we have an order with.

·
1 Posts

I'm in Canada too, Vancouver BC.
I ordered a 2022 SX last month and was told July-September for that year to arrive. I asked about a 2023 but was told they don't have info yet 🤔
Can I ask what dealership you went to?

·
3 Posts
Hi, looking to purchase my first Kia and looking to factory order a Seltos SX Turbo here in Canada. The Kia website says it would be $37,717.31 CAD after freight,fees,taxes (5% gst). Due to the shortage and all the markups I've been reading about, what is a fair price to negotiate for? I haven't purchased a car for over a decade and am lost! Thanks!

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, looking to purchase my first Kia and looking to factory order a Seltos SX Turbo here in Canada. The Kia website says it would be $37,717.31 CAD after freight,fees,taxes (5% gst). Due to the shortage and all the markups I've been reading about, what is a fair price to negotiate for? I haven't purchased a car for over a decade and am lost! Thanks!
The dealership I worked with said all orders are MSRP pricing, no markup. The purchase price for my 22 EX was $30,390 CAD. I don't know if you'll be able to negotiate below msrp on an order, and I wouldn't ever but a vehicle over msrp, which is one of the reasons why I ordered one, along with it being near impossible trying to find one in stock at the time. All I found were used 1 year old seltos' for 15-20% over msrp.

I did go back to my dealer a week ago for my first service and they had four 2023 seltos' in stock, three 2023 EV6 in stock, two 2023 Forte 5's, and four Telurides. I didn't look at the listed price of them but they did have a used 2022 hyundia palasade for $62,990. Hope this helps.

·
97 Posts
At Kia.ca's admission, the MSRP does not include the PDI (Point of Destination Inspection? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that acronym). Though I believe Kia has restrictions on what the dealer can charge for that. I vaguely recall reading that they allowed a maximum of $899. Again stuff I researched months ago, so don't hold me to that, I could be confusing brands.

Some Canadian dealers though will work in a 'Winter Package' into the price. I paid about $1500 above MSRP. I Might have been able to argue the Winter package but some of the items I planned to get anyway. And truth is, I was just so glad I'm not in the US where dealer markups are ridiculous, that I ate it. That included the PDI, the block heater, Winter mats (Weather Tech) ... decent ones, a paint pen, and wheel locks. All little things that they get to mark up to make a little additional profit.

In Canada the block heater is pretty much a must-have, the mats I would have bought immediately anyway (though likely through Amazon), wheel locks I likely would have passed on being my area not being particularly crime-riddled, but they're nice to have. The paint pen I likely would not have paid extra for, rather order one if I ever needed one down the road.

Personally, I got lucky on a couple of things that re-cooped some of that. I ordered the 22 but got the 23. The dealership honored the 22's price so I made back about $500 there on the SX. There was some minorish change in financing from the time I ordered to the time I received it so the dealership tossed in 3 tanks of fuel as well.

Two things that made me consider the 'smallish' $1500 mark up a small price to pay.
One: All the news coverage of how bad the Americans have it.
Two: The price of Used. Have you seen used car pricing right now?

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At Kia.ca's admission, the MSRP does not include the PDI (Point of Destination Inspection? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that acronym). Though I believe Kia has restrictions on what the dealer can charge for that. I vaguely recall reading that they allowed a maximum of $899. Again stuff I researched months ago, so don't hold me to that, I could be confusing brands.

Some Canadian dealers though will work in a 'Winter Package' into the price. I paid about $1500 above MSRP. I Might have been able to argue the Winter package but some of the items I planned to get anyway. And truth is, I was just so glad I'm not in the US where dealer markups are ridiculous, that I ate it. That included the PDI, the block heater, Winter mats (Weather Tech) ... decent ones, a paint pen, and wheel locks. All little things that they get to mark up to make a little additional profit.

In Canada the block heater is pretty much a must-have, the mats I would have bought immediately anyway (though likely through Amazon), wheel locks I likely would have passed on being my area not being particularly crime-riddled, but they're nice to have. The paint pen I likely would not have paid extra for, rather order one if I ever needed one down the road.

Personally, I got lucky on a couple of things that re-cooped some of that. I ordered the 22 but got the 23. The dealership honored the 22's price so I made back about $500 there on the SX. There was some minorish change in financing from the time I ordered to the time I received it so the dealership tossed in 3 tanks of fuel as well.

Two things that made me consider the 'smallish' $1500 mark up a small price to pay.
One: All the news coverage of how bad the Americans have it.
Two: The price of Used. Have you seen used car pricing right now?
Here's the additional costs on top of my purchase:

GST & PST Apply to:
Subtotal: $30,390
A/C Tax: $100
Finance Fee: $695

GST only apply to:
Extended Vehicle Warranty: $3556 (200,000km or 10 years)

No Tax:
Kia A&H Insurance: $1495 (Life, Disability, Loss of employment insurance up to $10,000)

------

Administrative/Documentation fees: $599
BC Tire advance disposal fee ($5 per tire): $25
PPSA Fee: $66.50

GST+PST on sale price

EDIT: Looking at my purchase agreement, it says the "MSRP BASE" is $28,195. Is that what KIA charges the dealers?

·
97 Posts
Here's the additional costs on top of my purchase:
Okay I'll do mine too, despite fears of being told I got screwed. It's a 2023 Kia Seltos SX.

The Numbers
Base MSRP: $33,195
(dealership honored base price of 2022, the 2023 base price is $500 more)
Delivery & Destination: $1,850
Total MSRP: $35,045

Mark Up
What was described to me as 'Winter Package': $1,703
Not clearly listed on Bill of Sale.
Total Price of Vehicle: $36,748

Optional
Kia Mechanical Breakdown Protection (10yr/200K): $4911
Still not sure I made the right choice on this one.
The way I see it one major failure and it'll pay for itself.

Government Stuff
AC Tax: $100
Tire Eco-fee: $20
GST: $1989
PST: $2785

·
97 Posts
Mark Up
What was described to me as 'Winter Package': $1,703
Lets look at the Mark Up specifically. Canadian prices.
Though it's not expressly broken down on the bill of sale, let's say it's not unreasonable that the dealership likely had a finance fee of some kind in there like @Rgue.

That would put the cost of my 'Winter Package' somewhere around $1000. What would it have cost me to do on my own.

For the block heater and installation I'll Google search a price. Block heaters ranged from 40 to 180 bucks on Amazon Canada. Higher than US searches. Let's call it 60 Cdn, which I suspect is high. Found another site claiming installation would be 100-200 USD depending on car, but also found a YouTube video suggests it takes about 5-7 minutes to install for a Kia Forte. Let's low ball it and say the Seltos will be similar, and call it $140 Cdn.

Block heater and install: $200 Cdn

Mats were brand name, no brainer to find.

Weathertech Mats: $285 Cdn on Amazon

Provided with KIA brand wheel locks but the locks themselves aren't specailly branded in any way other than the packaging, so I could just change them with any.

McGard Wheel Locks (look identical): $30 Cdn

Paint pen. Kiapartsnow shows the American price at $14 USD.

Paint Pen: $20 Cdn.

So roughly $535 bucks worth of stuffs and installation. Does it leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Yes. But what would have been worse is paying Used prices on a Seltos. Used dealers wanted $42,000 for a Used 2021 with 10,000 kilometers on it. Pre-Tax. And it had a blown rear subwoofer.

I did talk him down to 38,000 (cash deal), but I ultimately walked. I just couldn't do it, pay more than New for a Used, two-year-old car, with 10,000 kilometers on it? Just couldn't do it. They're preying on people that have written off their cars and NEED something now. Just a shitty bunch of human beings.

The reality is if they weren't gouging, they'd make their profit in high sales. If you're the only dealership not taking advantage, word would get out. But these guys are preying on the unfortunate.

·
188 Posts
At Kia.ca's admission, the MSRP does not include the PDI (Point of Destination Inspection?
For the record...PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection (I was a car salesman in my youth, before joining the CAF) :cool:

Negotiating price right now? Forget it, you're paying MSRP (in Canada at least, in the US that can be MSRP+++)...there's zero negotiation in the current car climate.

·
3 Posts
Thank you for the detailed info @SHCS and @Rgue ! greatly appreciated! :)

@Speedtek22 oh yes I know there's no way we can "negotiate" like we used to and paying MSRP at this time is seen as the "fair :cautious:" way to go.

As per the website building a 2023 SX Turbo is as follows:
MSRP $33,695
SWPearl $250
Delivery $1,850
Other taxes & fees $122.25
GST $1,795.86
Total $37,713.11

It also mentions, "Dealer may charge up to $899 admin fee where applicable" at the bottom of the build.
If I factor that in that would bring me to $38,657.06 all in.
Would I be able to "negotiate" close to this price, or is it not possible at all?
I guess I'm just looking at how much over MSRP is "fair" in this current car buying situation....:(

·
188 Posts
My 2022 SX came in at 38,900 + taxes (which included a $1500 "Prairie package" - block heater, mats, paint protection, that sort of stuff - it's a ripoff, but whatevs.) Actually, that also included an $1100 lease return damage waiver, so total price of the actual vehicle before tax was $36,300

·
3 Posts
Thanks @Speedtek22

I guess it's inevitable that some kind of "package" will be added on top. I'm looking at another $1500-$2000 extra for this "package" then and bringing the total to $40-$41k after taxes...
I know worth is an opinion, but do you feel it's worth that price?
How is the car working out for you guys? any pros and cons?

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts