Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

2023 KIA Seltos SX
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
** Just wanted to note that since writing this a few of the quirks I mentioned in the original post have been corrected by recommended changes to settings by AA Wireless Tech Support. Want to be clear, it you're interested in this device also read Post #7 **

I've been promising this review for a couple of weeks. And I apologize for the delays. I realise some may be waiting to determine whether or not this is the one.

Long story short, between the AA Wireless and the CarlinKit 4.0, I would go with the AA Wireless for Android Auto specific use. I'm going to point form this as much as I can as I'm short on time.

The Good:
Works exactly as if Wired.
Connects just as fast.
The response to touch is just as fast.
Easier updating than the CarlinKit.
Tech support has been responsive, they truly seem to want to help.

The Bad:
Has some quirks I'm still ironing out.

Quirk 1:
An update ought to be part of the initial setup, I had some issues connecting out of the box, which was immediately corrected after performing an update. Why didn't it just do that as part of the initial setup? Minor inconvenience.

Quirk 2 | Corrected
Had frequent disruptive disconnects from the phone while 5ghz wireless was set to 'Auto'. Tech support made the recommendation of changing Wireless option from 'Auto' to 'Channel 149'. This did help enormously but wasn't a complete fix. Disconnects from the phone continued but far less frequently. Days apart instead of 20 minutes apart. On my own I tried a lower channel, 36 I think. 'Channel 36' was almost as bad as 'Auto'. So I switched to the highest available channel, thinking it was 'Channel 165'. It's been a little over a week now with no phone disconnects. I have also heard the issue can be resolved by forcing 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz. That will be my next step if I see further disconnects. All in all, I worked the issue down to an acceptable level. Inconvenience level not knowing the above, pretty bloody irritating. But lucky you, you now know what to do to attempt correction, making it a mild inconvenience for you.

Quirk 3 | Corrected see Post #7
And this is thanks to KIA and their always-on USB port, which is dumb as f**k. The AA Wireless stays active and your phone will continue to connect to it when in range for a ridiculous amount of time after turning the engine off. Like 30 minutes after turning the engine off if I go up my back steps my phone will reconnect to the AA Wireless. An hour after it won't. In comparison, the CarlinKit did a MUCH better job of releasing the phone when turning the engine off. Tech support did recommend a solution but I've either botched the job or don't entirely understand. I believe the recommended fix was to set the AA Wireless to 'Dongle Mode: Enabled'. Now I've attempted this twice but either I've messed it up twice or 'Dongle Mode' keeps disabling itself. I'll continue to work on this issue and report back. The second suggested solution was to enable 'Start/Stop' functionality. But I'm not entirely sure what the feature does so I never got around to messing with it. The inconvenience level may change depending on your location after exiting the car. If your office is within 30 feet of your car you could be in for a really irritating situation. As long as you're out of range of the AA Wireless where ever it is you are after leaving the car inconvenience level may not be all that bad.

Quirk 4 | Corrected see Post #7
Haven't looked into this one yet as it's only happened a few times. On occasion, the phone connects and is controllable by the headunit. But sound comes from the speakers in the phone, not the stereo. Very weird. This is the next quirk I'll look into. I do find it often occurs when I turn the engine off, go in someplace for a very short time, often within range of the AA Wireless, maybe pick up food, or grab something quick from the convenience store. The engine was off, but I return to the car after a very short departure and this quirk will sometimes rear its ugly head. And it's not an easy one to fix. I often find I have to reboot my phone. Unplugging the AA Wireless isn't enough. Occurrence, maybe once or twice a week. Keep in mind I spend most of my day in my car so once or twice a week is nothing. Inconvenience level mild. Again I blame KIA's always on USB data port. DUMB.

AA Wireless over CarlinKit 4.0 for Android Auto specifically.
I'd still go with AA Wireless. The CarlinKit was incapable of playing Audible without multiple audio dropouts every minute, making it impossible to listen to a book. The CarlinKit was slooooow to load. The AA Wireless responds and loads the same as if plugged in. The CarlinKit couldn't be easily updated to new firmware. CarlinKit did have a more robust build quality. The CarlinKit stretched the video across the screen elongating everything. Wasn't able to find a solution.

Seltos GT-line, (=SX), 2020 model, Mars Orange, 1.6L turbo, AWD
224 Posts
Or SHCS, being the Devil's advocate, (try not to hate me too much), you could go Carlink3 - no qirks - and shout yourself a new phone - an iPhone, with wireless charging and...as the old Honda ad used to say - "don't you love it when something just works"... :ROFLMAO::sneaky::geek:

· Super Moderator
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
425 Posts
Or SHCS, being the Devil's advocate, (try not to hate me too much), you could go Carlink3 - no qirks - and shout yourself a new phone - an iPhone, with wireless charging and...as the old Honda ad used to say - "don't you love it when something just works"... :ROFLMAO::sneaky::geek:
LOL, I told him he should get an iPhone as well, but you know how those Android guys are... 🤪 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (Almost as bad as those Apple guys...hahahaha)

PS: I have an Android Samsung phone for work...I hate it...

Seltos GT-line, (=SX), 2020 model, Mars Orange, 1.6L turbo, AWD
224 Posts
The very word 'android' brings to mind for me, some evil dude from Star Trek or Aliens... :eek::alien:
But yeah...I confess...I'm one of those evil Apple people... :whistle:
Mind you, I do sometimes curse some Apple feature that I don't like - they are not perfect - not by a long shot. But their pluses tend to out-weight their odd minus, for mine... :cool:

2023 KIA Seltos SX
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quirks 3 and 4 appear to have been completely resolved with a BETA software update. The feature they had me select is available in the non-BETA but didn't make the difference for me, but once changing to the BETA track and setting the same feature issue of hanging on to the phone after exiting the vehicle has been resolved.

Now turning the engine off and opening the door, which triggers a shutdown of the head unit, immediately triggers a disconnect on the phone for Android Auto. Reconnecting starting the engine up again trips a reconnect. It might be my imagination, might be a touch slower to reconnect, but not by much. Certainly faster than the CarlinKit 4.0 by far.

To switch to BETA go to Play Store on your phone, search AA Wireless, choose the app. There's a button on the store page to request BETA access. Says it takes a few minutes. For me it was overnight to gain BETA access.

Once that is done and BETA access confirmed, update your AA Wireless App. And in settings enable 'Start/Stop'.

2023 Seltos Nightfall AWD
12 Posts
I have the Motorola MA-1 for almost 6 months now. I absolutely love it for Android Auto. No app or anyway to update (that I can find anyways). But as of right now, it just works with all my apps (Pocketcast, Sirius, Spotify, YT Music, GPodcasts, Maps, ect...)

2023 KIA Seltos SX
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curious how its operation compares to plugging in wired. The CarlinKit changes the experience. Slow to connect, no split screen, stretched image.

The AA Wireless is exactly like wired as far as experience goes, connects straight up, but takes some tweaking of the settings to get it there.

How does Motorola fare? Connection speed? Any hiccups?

12 Posts
it's slow to start (30-45 seconds after car starts/accessory), but when connected, stays connected. Minor lag in audio. When listening to music no big deal, but when sitting in a parked car watching TikTok is obvious. Phone calls coming in are slow to pick up, but I think that might be more an Android Auto issue than the MA1. the "answer call" screen will come on, but is unresponsive. The whole screen resets between ring 1 and 2, and when it comes back you can answer. You can bypass if you answer on the phone or your wearable.

None of these issues appear w/ wired connections. Thinking about buying an AA, and putting the MA1 in the wife's car.

2023 KIA Seltos SX
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post tweaks the AA Wireless has been pretty impressive. The support I have contacted them for has been pretty responsive. They appear to be continuing development. Audio off the AA Wireless has been FAR better than Bluetooth. Bluetooth audio sounds flat and dull by comparison. Don't recall noticing the difference with the CarlinKit, but with the AA Wireless, it was pretty different. The truth is I don't remember that difference with a Wired connection. Hmmm. Gonna have to test that.

I do have one complaint. And this isn't about the AA Wireless or CarlinKit specifically. Probably an Android Auto or Kia head unit issue. But if my Wife wants to connect her phone for audio I have to unplug the AA Wireless. Wish there was a way in Media to switch from AA to BT.

12 Posts
Post tweaks the AA Wireless has been pretty impressive. The support I have contacted them for has been pretty responsive. They appear to be continuing development. Audio off the AA Wireless has been FAR better than Bluetooth. Bluetooth audio sounds flat and dull by comparison. Don't recall noticing the difference with the CarlinKit, but with the AA Wireless, it was pretty different. The truth is I don't remember that difference with a Wired connection. Hmmm. Gonna have to test that.

I do have one complaint. And this isn't about the AA Wireless or CarlinKit specifically. Probably an Android Auto or Kia head unit issue. But if my Wife wants to connect her phone for audio I have to unplug the AA Wireless. Wish there was a way in Media to switch from AA to BT.
That's a Kia thing. I can't do that with anything plugged into the USB port, on both of our cars.

· Super Moderator
425 Posts
Note: I moved the unrelated discussion regarding battery issues into another thread here
Sorry for the hijack on the original thread, that was my bad.

2023 KIA Seltos SX
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The EX I believe has the 8" head unit. Which you're right, does have wireless from the factory.
For whatever overlooked reason, the 10.25" head unit does not have wireless. It's a head-scratcher.

· Super Moderator
425 Posts
The EX I believe has the 8" head unit. Which you're right, does have wireless from the factory.
For whatever overlooked reason, the 10.25" head unit does not have wireless. It's a head-scratcher.
That is correct…EX has the small screen and wireless connectivity.
EX+ and SX, (Canada spec), are the only models with the 10.25” screen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts