Kia Seltos Forum banner

Anyone replaced their touch screen with actual 2021 technology??

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Bro D 
#1 ·
Im over and it!!! Im surprised that i can even access the settings without first typing out the command c:\>settings
Im upgrading.... and im irritated....so i just bought a $1k sound system 🤣
First thing to go is the touchscreen....
Has anybody taken it apart yet?? Wiring diagrams are hard to find ...the dash retrofit is going to be a nightmare!!!! Any and all info will be gratefully appreciated !!!! ( I'll share pics when Im done with my temper tantrum project)

thanks in advance y'all

#2 ·
You will likely lose most functionality of the safety assist systems as well as lighting, locking, and other controls - and absolutely void your factory warranty. I would advise against this.

Android head units work for older vehicles but finding one that integrates into the canbus system is probably impossible. Even if there is a unit for a different Kia/Hyundai vehicle, you will get fatal system problems with the Seltos. I haven’t seen any interfaces for the Seltos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Also, what did you find for a wiring harness with your audio upgrade? I haven’t seen anything available yet for this head unit. Let alone an accurate pinout

Edit: to add, I don’t understand your statement regarding entering a command for settings. This system will absolutely not allow root access when a user hooks in. You say you have to access root (C:\) but that’s a Windows command - not usable within a car on a proprietary OS.

#6 ·
🤣🤣.... that was my way of saying the touchscreen has an outdated program...is if i had to use old DOS commands to do anything. Bad joke.... most of the features on the vehicle dont fall into that category of course...It drives itself for crying out loud...
its the platform...which might be more about being used to the user friendly IOS and PC platforms i use everyday

I haven't found a harness yet...or any information really ... but i have no problems with retrofitting a stand alone audio system if that's my only realistic option

thanks again for your perspective

#4 ·
Yeah, the infotainment system is more or less the hub of the vehicle whether you like it or not. It’s also probably one of the best out there. Taking it apart and/or removing it is asking for problems. It’s tedious to get car manufacturers to stand by warranties as it is. If you mess with this, you will certainly be voiding all that. Not to mention the functionality of the features the infotainment system has to offer in its own right.

This isn’t the 90’s or early 2000’s when you could just swap out your factory stereo unit for something of your choice..

#8 ·
Just so you know, Kia isn’t gonna release any deeper info about their system. This is their proprietary software (likely licensed to them from a 3rd party) and allowing end users to modify or have access to higher level configuration would jeopardize their standing with NHTSA, which they won’t want to go near.
Most likely the case indeed .... which brings to mind something else thats frustrating... During an era filled with options, it would take minimal effort to design a removable interface for personal customization to property that my bank and i now own... from a business standpoint the manufacturers are leaving money on the table, and missing a great opportunity from a marketing standpoint... just saying

My rant is over ....

Again...I do appreciate your perspective sir
Enjoy your day

#11 ·
It's really too bad that the owner of the vehicle doesn't have an option to use a different interface .....it would be simple for the manufacturer to allow a program to take over the media portion without effecting its onboard computer
And an opportunity to squeeze more money out of the public
In my opinion

#12 ·
That would mean Kia/Hyundai would have to provide continuous support for the stability of unknown 3rd party software in a vehicle that must also maintain NHTSA regulations. This would be virtually impossible as the first person or group to release an interface would almost definitely prioritize video playback while driving.

The “Sync Lockpick” system is well known for doing exactly this, but also comes with the cost of victims opening lawsuits against drivers for the modification being installed if they were to be involved in an accident with a citation of distracted driving (almost always reckless endangerment).

Locking systems off from user modification is by no means “squeezing more money” out of customers. You pay for the system in the vehicle you choose, and that’s the system you get. If you don’t like that system, there’s many other vehicles in the class to choose from. I fail to see extra money going from pocket to pocket in this scenario.

I wouldn’t want to drive on a road where manufacturers openly support people messing with screens rather than using attentive driving practices. The intention is for Kia to simply abide by the laws that many countries have set in order to ensure traffic safety. Cars are much faster than they were 25 or 50 years ago - I don’t think we need more toys to play with while driving them.

#13 ·
That would mean Kia/Hyundai would have to provide continuous support for the stability of unknown 3rd party software in a vehicle that must also maintain NHTSA regulations. This would be virtually impossible as the first person or group to release an interface would almost definitely prioritize video playback while driving.

The “Sync Lockpick” system is well known for doing exactly this, but also comes with the cost of victims opening lawsuits against drivers for the modification being installed if they were to be involved in an accident with a citation of distracted driving (almost always reckless endangerment).

Locking systems off from user modification is by no means “squeezing more money” out of customers. You pay for the system in the vehicle you choose, and that’s the system you get. If you don’t like that system, there’s many other vehicles in the class to choose from. I fail to see extra money going from pocket to pocket in this scenario.

I wouldn’t want to drive on a road where manufacturers openly support people messing with screens rather than using attentive driving practices. The intention is for Kia to simply abide by the laws that many countries have set in order to ensure traffic safety. Cars are much faster than they were 25 or 50 years ago - I don’t think we need more toys to play with while driving them.
Wow... yea thats some glass half empty stuff right there... im not trying to change the world or anything.....
Im just trying to put a different radio in my GF's car for Christmas but.....
Hey thanks for your time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.