Kia Seltos Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
108 Posts
Hmm..I suppose the A/C must be part of the all defrost option as part of the app even for heating up the car.

I don’t know, now that temps are in the 20’s (F) I’m not having much luck with UVO start or key fob remote start. Even when I leave my car with a high fan speed- it always runs low when I use the fob or EVO. Maybe I have to leave my actual climate control set on high? I will try that next I suppose..

Overall, it has been relatively useless as I still have to run 3 cycles to make it even slightly effective. It’s annoying to have to remember to keep setting it every 10 minutes while trying to get ready for work. This morning I didn’t want to deal with it so I just went out and started my car and let it run for 30 minutes.

This is the first time I have had a remote start feature that is less convenient than going outside and just starting your car and being done with it. I wonder if all KIA’s remote starts are like this?
I discovered that you can start the car and leave it running when you physically go out to the car. The auto shut off is set to 30 minutes, just have to ut up with the irritating beep for a few moments while you walk away with the key. Agreed, not too convenient

·
2021 SX Turbo, Neptune Blue
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I discovered that you can start the car and leave it running when you physically go out to the car. The auto shut off is set to 30 minutes, just have to ut up with the irritating beep for a few moments while you walk away with the key. Agreed, not too convenient
Yeah, after coming home the other night- I set my climate control on level 3 before I left my car overnight and shut it off. The following morning was probably around 20 (F) and I used 2 of the 10 minute cycles from my UVO app (custom 80 degrees) before my GF and I went out for a few errands.

My GF went out to get in the car first and I met her in there very shortly after. She said, “I thought you pre- started the car”? I was too embarrassed to tell her that I did. You seriously couldn’t tell at all. Somedays, it seems to work a little better than others, but overall the remote start from the key fob or EVO is a flop.

It’s disappointing because that was a priority of mine when looking for my next car to lease. You are much better off going outside and physically turning on the car and setting the climate to let it run for 20 or 30 (the max) minutes if you actually want to achieve something.

On another note, not that I really value the UVO app all that much, but do you have to pay for it after a certain amount of time? I thought I read something about that but couldn't remember. Then I ran across some Telluride owners on a forum complaining about having to pay $25 a month to remote start their vehicle. :unsure:

·
87 Posts
Yeah, after coming home the other night- I set my climate control on level 3 before I left my car overnight and shut it off. The following morning was probably around 20 (F) and I used 2 of the 10 minute cycles from my UVO app (custom 80 degrees) before my GF and I went out for a few errands.

My GF went out to get in the car first and I met her in there very shortly after. She said, “I thought you pre- started the car”? I was too embarrassed to tell her that I did. You seriously couldn’t tell at all. Somedays, it seems to work a little better than others, but overall the remote start from the key fob or EVO is a flop.

It’s disappointing because that was a priority of mine when looking for my next car to lease. You are much better off going outside and physically turning on the car and setting the climate to let it run for 20 or 30 (the max) minutes if you actually want to achieve something.

On another note, not that I really value the UVO app all that much, but do you have to pay for it after a certain amount of time? I thought I read something about that but couldn't remember. Then I ran across some Telluride owners on a forum complaining about having to pay $25 a month to remote start their vehicle. :unsure:
Bringing this back up here. Remote start is honestly garbage - I just use it for a single cycle so the engine is at least closer to being warm enough for heat when I start driving. This is my 4th car with remote start from the factory and by far the worst - and Kia could fix this so easily!

The pricing for Uvo after the first period (I think my US dealer gave me a year?) is insane. I’ll stick with using the keyfob after the “trial” runs out. I have no idea why they chose to do the paid subscription when that’s not industry-standard.

·
2021 Kia Seltos SX Turbo Lunar Orange
49 Posts
What’s garbage about it? Starts the car like it’s supposed to.
Not crazy about the UVO start though. Takes too long. Guess it would be fine if the car is far away.

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bringing this back up here. Remote start is honestly garbage - I just use it for a single cycle so the engine is at least closer to being warm enough for heat when I start driving. This is my 4th car with remote start from the factory and by far the worst - and Kia could fix this so easily!

The pricing for Uvo after the first period (I think my US dealer gave me a year?) is insane. I’ll stick with using the keyfob after the “trial” runs out. I have no idea why they chose to do the paid subscription when that’s not industry-standard.
It’s probably the most disappointing aspect of my Seltos in comparison to my prior vehicle. I have just resorted to going out and starting my car when getting up early to go to work. The remote start through the key fob or UVO does nothing in single digit temperatures. Yeah, I don’t know why KIA thinks it’s cool to charge for the UVO features after a year.

What’s garbage about it? Starts the car like it’s supposed to.
Not crazy about the UVO start though. Takes too long. Guess it would be fine if the car is far away.
The UVO signal does take what seems like forever. Using the key fob is easier at times, but it has terrible range for sure.

Either way, 10 minute cycles are a nuisance as you have to remind yourself to go back and activate 1 or 2 more cycles or you quickly end up right back at square one. For a convenience feature, it is flawed with way too many inconveniences and shortfalls in itself IMO.

·
49 Posts
[
The UVO signal does take what seems like forever. Using the key fob is easier at times, but it has terrible range for sure.

Either way, 10 minute cycles are a nuisance as you have to remind yourself to go back and activate 1 or 2 more cycles or you quickly end up right back at square one.
I guess everyone has different expectations. This is my first factory remote but I have tried others on test drives. Kia’s was the best in comparison. The range is about a block which is more than I need which is from my house or leaving a store. It always starts and it’s MINUS 30 Celsius here now. Using the fob gives 30 minutes, UVO up to 10. I would never have my car running for more than 10 minutes. I have mine set at 8 In UVO and usually show about 3 to 4 minutes when I use the fob, more than enough to get the engine starting to warm. Driving quickly warms the inside and is better for the car. That’s what I’ve always done.
The fob is much quicker and easier. I would only use UVO from inside a building if the car is farther away.
It does exactly what I want it to do. Of course if it didn’t come with it I wouldn’t have remote start at all. Never found a need and still don’t. I use it because I have it and it is kinda nice to just get in and drive. Heated steering wheel is a different story. This is my second car with it and pretty essential for me.

·
49 Posts
Even when I leave my car with a high fan speed- it always runs low when I use the fob or EVO. Maybe I have to leave my actual climate control set on high? I will try that next I suppose..
A good auto climate control will increase fan speed as the engine warms. No use blasting cold air. Using the fob is like starting it from inside the car so everything is normal.
UVO allows you to turn climate control on and set temp which I hate because the fan is on high when I get in. It seems to revert to manual control and I immediately have to change it to Auto when I get in. So I have it turned off. The only good thing is you can turn the heated seats and steering wheel on but seats don’t heat much until you sit in them anyway.
Here UVO is free here for 3 years and I wouldn’t pay a dime for it after that. Hardly use it now.

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A good auto climate control will increase fan speed as the engine warms. No use blasting cold air. Using the fob is like starting it from inside the car so everything is normal.
UVO allows you to turn climate control on and set temp which I hate because the fan is on high when I get in. It seems to revert to manual control and I immediately have to change it to Auto when I get in. So I have it turned off. The only good thing is you can turn the heated seats and steering wheel on but seats don’t heat much until you sit in them anyway.
Here UVO is free here for 3 years and I wouldn’t pay a dime for it after that. Hardly use it now.
Hmmm...30 minutes from the key fob? I must have something set wrong in my settings somewhere. Trouble is, you can’t seem to defrost the windows using the key fob anyway.

They don’t offer heated steering wheels here in the states, which is kind of a bummer as well. As a result, I bought a steering wheel cover which definitely helps by preventing direct contact with the wheel.

·
49 Posts
Hmmm...30 minutes from the key fob? I must have something set wrong in my settings somewhere. Trouble is, you can’t seem to defrost the windows using the key fob anyway.

They don’t offer heated steering wheels here in the states, which is kind of a bummer as well. As a result, I bought a steering wheel cover which definitely helps by preventing direct contact with the wheel.
Don’t remember if it was a setting. I’ll have to look but if yours is less then it must be. When you start with the fob and get in the cluster shows a countdown to 30 minutes saying something like “ The engine will turn off in XX minutes”. As soon as you touch the brake this message disappears as it knows you are ready to drive.
As for defrosting the climate control should work as it would had you started the car from within so nothing much will happen until the nine starts to warm. I’ve never tried it but would assume that if you put it on manual defrost at last shutdown it will blow cold air when started in the morning.

·
2021 Kia Seltos EX
3 Posts
Top 3 things I don't like with the remote start on my Seltos...
  1. I wish the running lights would turn on and stay on while the vehicle is running. I have to open my front door to hear if its still running..
  2. I have to set the thermostat the night before... My old vehicle, a 2008 Silverado had the technology to know when to use the heater/defrost or A/C.
  3. The range... I seems like I have to be within 40 yards for it to work. On my old Silverado, I could be 100 yards away and inside my office and it worked no problem.

·
17 Posts
I’m not overly impressed thus far with the remote start feature for purposes of heating up my car. The range itself is also quite short. Anyway, I can’t seem to get it to run past 10 minutes, which does virtually nothing. Then I have to remember to go back every 10 minutes while I’m getting ready for work to make it go another cycle or 2. I also have to remember to turn the heat and fan way up every time I shut off my car in preparation for remote start the next morning.

The UVO app is another option, but it also only cycles for 10 minutes. I can control the climate though so that is a plus...I guess. My Fusion would default to high heat with defrost, turn on my heated seats, and steering wheel (which this should have)- and run for 30 minutes- all with one press of the key fob button.

Is there something I am missing with the remote start that may help? At this point, it’s just easier to go out and physically start my car so it will run for 30 minutes and actually heat up and be done with it. Of course this renders the remote start feature rather useless.
It's only setup for 10 mins.. and you can't get it to heat the seats, it shuts it off min you turn car off. I go outside start it, turn everythong on and go back inside which:rolleyes: at that point will run for 30 mins..

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's only setup for 10 mins.. and you can't get it to heat the seats, it shuts it off min you turn car off. I go outside start it, turn everythong on and go back inside which:rolleyes: at that point will run for 30 mins..
Yup. Same here 😀

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The only way anyone could be satisfied with the Seltos remote start feature via key fob or UVO is if you have never owned a prior vehicle that had a more comprehensive remote start with long range, sufficient running times, and ongoing free phone app utilization at the very least.

The Seltos system comes up short in every way. It’s just the way it is...
I will be doing more research beforehand when I lease/buy my next vehicle.

·
49 Posts
I’m satisfied because it more than meets my needs not because of past experience or lack of. It starts the car from where I need it to and I honestly don’t need or want more.
I do agree that it’s disappointing if something is important to you and doesn’t meet expectations. I learned my lesson more than once and now I‘m very careful making sure my needs are covered before buying.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts