Kia Seltos Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
117 Posts
Man, you wonder why all the differences..... Just confirmed with the Kia guy up in Canada that they don't have the "soundhound" feature where you can ask about stocks, weather, day/time, sports and navigation. But they do get heated rear seats/steering, HUD etc.! No wonder the Kia people are pretty confused most of the time.

·
14 Posts
Farted around with the new update yesterday - here are my findings (see entry above for a summary of the updates you can see after you make the update):

- Maps does have a "Cancel Route" button now - long press it to "Pause Route" (not real intuitive). If you don't see the Cancel Route button, tap on the map and it appears.

- You can long press on the map and get options now to set that point on the map as your destination, report an accident etc (??) and save that location to your list of places.... I guess if you could really press on the exact location that would help but this has escaped usefulness to me....?

- I couldn't find where to switch the 'zoom map' function from the tuning knob to the vol knob, but it was a good reminder that using the tuning knob (or volume knob if you can find where to change it) is much faster and safer to zoom in/out than using the + and - buttons on the map....

- I noticed the Link Bluetooth Device field had been removed in Driver Profiles, I think for both my wife and my profiles. Click on the right arrow and choose from the list of phones....?? Picture below.

- Previously I had a problem sending a text from voice prompt ("Send text to Julie I am on my way home") - everytime the first text would fail, and you would have to go to Phone and tap the icon of messages, tap the message and resend it - it would always work the second time. I tested a few times and now it seems to work even the first time...hurray. That is a nice safety feature...

- The thing I was most interested in was "Soundhound" now being available to us peons. I googled it etc. Here is the text I wrote to Kia asking more info about it. It has, I think, increased the questions you can ask of the car. Certainly not like Google Assistant though....
The update mentions "Soundhound" being available, but gives few details. From what I researched and tested, I can press the Push to Talk button on the steering wheel and ask it a limited set of questions - about Sports, Weather, Stocks and Navigation. I could NOT ask it like with Google, "What is the president's middle name?"
Questions I could ask:
"When is the Denver Nuggets next game?"
"Will it snow tomorrow?"
"How did IBM stock do today?"

"Navigate to 1380 Tulip St. Longmont Colorado."

Please write an entry if you leavn any new stuff from this update!

P.S. It seems to me that logging on to the Kia App and websites have been terribly slow again.......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 784
My update kept the "cancel route" selection. While map is displayed, press NAV, and my "cancel Route" is in the upper right of the screen. Used to be on bottom left. Was difficult to notice the first time I looked

·
117 Posts
Interesting... You should have (I think) a Cancel Route button right on the map itself...and if it isn't there, just tap on the map anywhere and it re-appears.... Long press to Pause...one tap to cancel. One more thing to remember....

·
6 Posts
The November update was released pretty swiftly though.
Maybe, but then I also wouldn't be surprised if, what we got in November, the rest of the world got the April prior. Lol

It really does stun me, at times, how we can be so far ahead yet so far behind at the same time...

I do note we got the updated terms and conditions in April though, so there is that!

·
5 Posts
I tried updating via SD card/USB card reader and both the quick and general update methods fail. The following pictures were after the general update attempt, but the quick update is very similar...

With the car running but parked, I press the update button, and after a few minutes it reboots and flashes an update screen for a split second before giving me this...

I never did take the November 2020 update and this is going straight to the April 2021 update, so I'm not sure if thats causing an issue, but has anyone seen this before? I do have a general maintenance appt with the dealer in a couple weeks, but I'm kind of hoping to get it working before then.

·
55 Posts
I never did take the November 2020 update and this is going straight to the April 2021 update, so I'm not sure if thats causing an issue, but has anyone seen this before? I do have a general maintenance appt with the dealer in a couple weeks, but I'm kind of hoping to get it working before then.
Well, it that’s the case it will fail on mine! I never took the Nov 2020 update because it turns the display to purplish shade and it takes away the triple widget display.

I’m really disturbed by the way updates are rolled out by Kia/Hyundai. It does not accompany with detailed (at least I haven’t seen it when I downloaded the Apr 2021 update files to the USB) documentation of what the update brings in and takes out of your system. They are leaving it to all users who dare install the update to discover what the changes are! And also too, there is no published prerequisite of the update.

·
117 Posts
Right, I was curious if it forced you to do all the updates in order and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it did. You can simply go back and install the November one and then retry the April one. I was confused by what you said about SD card and USB card reader. I think you really need to download the update to the hard drive on your computer, then copy it to a USB drive, 32 gig or greater. Then you insert that USB drive into the car for the update. Maybe I misunderstanding what you did. My instructions are earlier in this topic if needed.

I hate to say this but the purple wasteland is kind of growing on me. It keeps my wife calm I think, and the kind of ghost navigation that it shows on the right side when you are using navigation is kind of interesting. This latest update has added the day and date along with the time.

·
55 Posts
If KIA/Hyundai intends to force us to install updates chronologically, that should be stated in the “Update Requirements” section. But there is no such section!

As I have indicated prior, I will not apply any update. I will stick to my triple widgets. I have Google Map for Nav if I need to. I have Siri to ask for my Stocks, Weather from anywhere in the world, restaurants, etc.

·
5 Posts
I guess I don't mind the purple so much, it was the lack of widgets and the radio old-timey tube style numbers (they just take up way more screen-space than they should) that caused me to not take the Nov 2020 upgrade. I was hoping they would at least rethink those with this update or give us the option. When they didn't I figured I should probably go ahead and upgrade for the map updates at least. I actually like the purple, and have the ambient lighting set inside to purple solid anyway as it gives a nice, but not too harsh glow at night. I'll learn to live with the other things...

I can't find a way to download the Nov update now though, so I can't imagine they'd make it a requirement to be on that before updating to this latest one.

·
71 Posts
I tried updating via SD card/USB card reader and both the quick and general update methods fail. The following pictures were after the general update attempt, but the quick update is very similar...

View attachment 827

With the car running but parked, I press the update button, and after a few minutes it reboots and flashes an update screen for a split second before giving me this...

View attachment 828

I did not do the Nov update, did the April update, had one minor error and it automatically retried and completed the part that had failed. I would suggest you use a straight usb flash drive directly.

·
117 Posts
Hahahaha - it's better for my wife, what can I say. A calm wife is a happy husband. Plus, I've banged my head against the wall too many times in life. They are clearly committed to this strategy and don't give a rat's petootie about our opinion. I am glad the updates are free now, that's for sure, and that's an improvement!

·
117 Posts
My apologies - in update.kia.com you can see info about the older November update, but starting the Updater program seems to limit you to the 'latest' update. Looks like you can skip them and install a more recent one as shown above.

·
5 Posts
I did do the update today. It worked but it did the updates separately, first doing the Nov update and then the April one. When all was said and done I sat in the car with it running for almost an hour. Apparently it was my setup, it didn't like reading it from the SD card via card reader. I got a USB flash drive last night (I didn't have any flash drives that were large enough, hence the SD card work-around, lol) and that seemed to do the trick.

Now it seems to work well, I kind of played with settings. All seems to be normal except my radio presets. There are fewer presets now, and the presets that remained are all rearranged.

·
55 Posts
I did do the update today. It worked but it did the updates separately, first doing the Nov update and then the April one. When all was said and done I sat in the car with it running for almost an hour. Apparently it was my setup, it didn't like reading it from the SD card via card reader. I got a USB flash drive last night (I didn't have any flash drives that were large enough, hence the SD card work-around, lol) and that seemed to do the trick.

Now it seems to work well, I kind of played with settings. All seems to be normal except my radio presets. There are fewer presets now, and the presets that remained are all rearranged.
Do you still have the 3 widget screen? Did it change the color of your screen to shade of purple? Thanks for the info.

·
5 Posts
Do you still have the 3 widget screen? Did it change the color of your screen to shade of purple? Thanks for the info.
It did change it to the purple layout, no widgets... There are some screens you can have split screen (the same slideout on the right side of the screen still exists). I dont mind the update as much, but it still feels almost like a beta update and I'm a beta tester. I feel like there are so many ease and GUI things that are missing, like on the purple home screen, it shows the SXM station I'm on, but no song/artist information or lines. Also the number of possible presets I mentioned before. Seems to me like that'd be something so easy to have kept. The other thing I'd hoped this would include, and had even heard rumors it would pre-release, is full screen Android Auto. That's disappointing as well...

·
117 Posts
It does seem like they are trying to keep the purple main screen has minimized as possible. They did add the date and day to the screen with this update from what I can tell. I really wish they would fix the radio screen to show the name of the Sirius station instead of just the number in the preset buttons. I'm too old to remember what 10 or 12 different numbers are for. That is ridiculous. I know enough people including a big Canadian dealer has made a point of all this but Kia doesn't seem to care!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts