Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the back brakes yet?
I went to replace them yesterday, and it seems the new brake pads are too thick. I twisted the caliper pistons in as far as they would go (until the came to a hard stop), yet they still didn't come close to fitting over the new brake pads.

Front ones fit no problem.

Driving a 2021 SX.

· Super Moderator
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
425 Posts
Has anyone replaced the back brakes yet?
I went to replace them yesterday, and it seems the new brake pads are too thick. I twisted the caliper pistons in as far as they would go (until the came to a hard stop), yet they still didn't come close to fitting over the new brake pads.

Front ones fit no problem.

Driving a 2021 SX.
??? you needed new rear brake pads on a 2021 ???
The rears normally last way longer than the fronts.

Was this in pursuit of an upgrade or something?

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
??? you needed new rear brake pads on a 2021 ???
The rears normally last way longer than the fronts.

Was this in pursuit of an upgrade or something?
That's another thing I was surprised about. Only 40,000km and the rear brake pads were almost gone. On the front the inside brake pads were completely worn out by 35000km. My dealer told me it's because I didn't get the brakes serviced.

· Super Moderator
425 Posts
That's another thing I was surprised about. Only 40,000km and the rear brake pads were almost gone. On the front the inside brake pads were completely worn out by 35000km. My dealer told me it's because I didn't get the brakes serviced.
Servicing the brakes won't mitigate wear...what exactly would they propose be serviced? All they do is check pad thickness to see if they require any replacement and that should be done on any normal full service appointment/check.
Do you tend to ride your brakes or something? No way they should be wearing that fast...

To your initial problem, were these KIA OEM pads or aftermarket?

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Servicing the brakes won't mitigate wear...what exactly would they propose be serviced? All they do is check pad thickness to see if they require any replacement and that should be done on any normal full service appointment/check.
Do you tend to ride your brakes or something? No way they should be wearing that fast...

To your initial problem, were these KIA OEM pads or aftermarket?
That's what I thought! I ride somewhat aggressive, nothing that warrants this kind of wear. I thought it was weird how only the inside pads were worn out on the front. There's a lot of salt where I live, maybe the siezed a bit?
Yes, they are OEM pads bought from the dealership

· Super Moderator
425 Posts
Brutal.....so I need a scan tool too to fully press in the pistons? Where does one even get one of those?
You can get an OBD2 scanner on Amazon, but I'm uncertain about the need to electronically retract the piston on the Kia...I thought that was mostly a VW/Audi thing.
That one will take a little more research, but it sounds like it may be part of your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts