Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Recently I noticed when walking past the front of my Seltos dimples or dent like shapes in the bonnet panel section with the KIA logo on it. On mine there is 4 on the drivers side and 5 on the passenger side. They can go unnoticed. But if you do a walk by watching with the light on it they are there and you can feel them too. I only noticed when I gave mine a wash and walk around looking at it. But im pretty peeed off seing this to be honest as Iv had in my years about 10 cars and never seen this before. There are 2 other Seltos in my town and I checked them out. They too had the dimples! But neither had them in the exact same spots.
What is this all about? A panel extraction fault issue? Dimples, dents in a new cars panels is crap. Check yours out guys and have a look.
I tried my best to get a good picture but they all show up from a walk by and sometimes you see 1, 2, maybe 3 at once. But all by a walk by.
In the picture have a look, it doesnt do it justice but does show. Look at the tree branch to the right of the logo. It was actually dead straight, but in the reflection on the dimple you see a U shape, caused by the dimple dent effect on the reflection. I have 8 of these on my Seltos!

·
104 Posts
Have you taken it back to the dealer? Was it this way when you picked it up and just didn't notice it? Has you car been in a hail storm or severe weather? It looks to that rock or something has hit the front of your car. It looks like the paint is chipped also

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you taken it back to the dealer? Was it this way when you picked it up and just didn't notice it? Has you car been in a hail storm or severe weather? It looks to that rock or something has hit the front of your car. It looks like the paint is chipped also
Hi.No what marks you see are just bugs splatter.
There isn't a stone chip anywhere on my car. Never been in hail or anything. Like I said I looked and saw the exact same issue on 2 other Seltos in my town. Every other panel is perfect, just that on mine and theirs has those dimple, indents. Yeah for sure it was from day 1. You only notice if you look for it. But once you do notice, there they are. I have hardly done much driving since getting it here during lockdown from Covid. Here in Victoria Aus we had the hardest lockdown anywhere, border closures, driving distance limited to your town, so it spent most of the time in the garage. Its unmarked in pristine condition. This is a build issue. Yours doesn't have it? Ours are built in Korea and mine is a My21 built in July 2020. The other 2 I saw, 1 was a 2019 and the other 20.
For sure im going to take it to them to show.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys. My dealer is refusing to even acknowledge my contacts here even though the way I am they suggested to do so Via email and sending pictures. I have since driven past the same build as mine and took a photo of the same indents in the exact same places as mine. I have also since found out that the owner is a work college of my wifes friend. We are at present in Victoria Australia in Covid lockdown. But as soon as its over I am making contact with that other Seltos owner. Their car also has the exact same indents as mine. Im being written off as I damaged it myself and am lying trying to get a fix. No way am I that type of person. Our Kia Seltos here have that build issue and I am going to do all I can to expose it.
As if there are others that have damaged their cars and have the exact same shape and indents as the others is utterly ridiculous. Its a build fault that I will not stop until I expose it. :mad: (y)

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is crap now. I will post proof tomorrow that the exact same issue is with my Seltos here in Australia and another exact same build, an S model, with the exact same issue. Dents in the exact same panel. KIA has an issue here in Australia with the Seltos with that build panel area which the dealers are ignoring.
Total and utter disgrace.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Start a case with KIA International
Some good news.
Im guessing the first person wrote my complaint/issue off as just a complainer of nothing.
I contacted them again and asked to talk to the manager. The service manager phoned me and said "I have read your complaint and looked at the pictures you sent us. I then went and looked at 2 Seltos on our showroom floor. At first they looked fine. But as you said it can be set at certain angles I then leaned down and got the light across that panel. Both have ripples like you said and I could even feel them prominently! There is an obvious problem with the production of this part of the Seltos." He was not happy his 2 showroom Seltos had the same problem.
He was a bit shocked when I said that, hey, the other in our town is several months older than mine!
He is raising this issue with Kia Australia and said dont worry. And im not sure about his last comment but appreciate his honesty in telling me he had 2 there the same and wasn't happy, the last comment was "Our Seltos here have some issues, this isnt the only one".
Anyway im not expecting an instant fix but feel very confident now that its been officially recognised. There must be thousands here with that issue mine has alone. Thankfully we get a 7 yr warranty, wish we got your US one, 10 yrs isnt it!?
So in a small way today was a good start result.
Here is 2 pictures of the older Seltos here with those dents or as the service guy calls ripples.
First you can see a prominent one close to the Logo, 3 others look like smear areas but are not. I drove past it several times but as we are in full Covid Lock down could not go to the house and talk.
The second outlines all the dent,dimple, ripples.
Will let you guys know how it pans out from Kia Aus eventually.
Cheers.

Yeah the other 3 have bug splat marks but are 100% the same indent areas. We live in the bush and clean our windscreens every week from bugs.
OTHER KIA SELTOS 1.jpg

·
104 Posts
Thanks for the info. I hope everything works out for you. Contacting a manager usually works. KIA has some widespread problems that they need to fix. I think in your case, it's quality control.
I am also concerned about their transmission problems why are they fixed before they leave the plant?

KIA is a good company in my book, they just do dumb things. Like why can't I get a heated steering wheel? Right now it's 8 below zero. Something with heated rear seats, a Heads Up unit, rear curtains, an air filter system and a power liftgate. None of these features are offered here in the US. The power liftgate is offered on other KIA models, just not the Seltos.

That piece on your car is plastic, so it should be a quick fix. Wishing all the luck in getting it taken care of.
Steve

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I hope everything works out for you. Contacting a manager usually works. KIA has some widespread problems that they need to fix. I think in your case, it's quality control.
I am also concerned about their transmission problems why are they fixed before they leave the plant?

KIA is a good company in my book, they just do dumb things. Like why can't I get a heated steering wheel? Right now it's 8 below zero. Something with heated rear seats, a Heads Up unit, rear curtains, an air filter system and a power liftgate. None of these features are offered here in the US. The power liftgate is offered on other KIA models, just not the Seltos.

That piece on your car is plastic, so it should be a quick fix. Wishing all the luck in getting it taken care of.
Steve
Thanks. I had thought it was metal till the service guy mentioned plastic, and now you too.
There was a transmission recall here with Seltos models up to June 2020 build. Mine was build just after that date of recall by 3 to 4 weeks. It was that some had some machining particles still in them and or the programming was faulty. Some got just reprogrammed others replaced. Even though mine was after that date I still get now n then it not going into forward or reverse with any remote feeling like its engaged. It was happening a few times a month but last time was 3 weeks and has been ok since. Maybe the issue is cycling out if thats even possible but I have noticed its frequency of doing it getting less.
Anyway its good to hear my indent thing should be easily taken care of now I know its just a plastic part.
8 below, thats serious cold. Our thing here where I am is the heat. Aircon on flat out just behind me right now. And bugs! Man, if you dont make a guard the radiators fill within weeks. Im cleaning them off of my mesh with a brush every few drives.
Below is a typical two day build up on the bottom grill area. Imagine a week or month of that!

·
104 Posts
How about a bug shield? Do you think that would help? Also you might try Clear Bra. KIA makes a clear vinyl cover also. You might check. Either of those will help save your paint.
Also they have come out with some super dope polish. Costs about grand to do a car, but it also might be worth it.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about a bug shield? Do you think that would help? Also you might try Clear Bra. KIA makes a clear vinyl cover also. You might check. Either of those will help save your paint.
Also they have come out with some super dope polish. Costs about grand to do a car, but it also might be worth it.
Thanks for the ideas. Where I am the best to do is put or make gaurds over the grill areas. I do as I always was told and leave a gap each side of the aluminium mesh gaurds I make so as air can come around and back in, not totally blocking it of if you get what I mean. I only use aluminium fly wire. Some here, for years, have used shade cloth. But I tested it out with fly wire and shade cloth on a small frame I made up and went passenger side, held one out at a time and shade cloth was horrid! Aluminium wire let easy twice the air through. We get lots of locusts and other bugs that corrode and destroy radiators here. After living here and experiencing it first hand for 30 yrs, I live in the Aussie bush, seeing radiators turned to flakes fin wise in just 2 to 3 yrs, you cannot beat a well placed, let some air in each side, guard like I make.
I had a turbo diesel Nissan for 6 yrs and made the same, it never overheated even in 49c weather, and the radiators were mint when I traded it for the Seltos. In fact it was that when the guy checked it out that gave me a great trade. Bug reflectors, deflectors, I know guys that tried them in our Aussie outback, they said were useless, mesh aluminum guards you make yourself like you see on mine, one may make them look better ill give that, but they rule here in our environment. Tried and 100% proven even with turbo coolers. No ifs.
Stop stones, bugs, grass seeds, bird hits, and water hammer. (y)

·
1 Posts
Some good news.
Im guessing the first person wrote my complaint/issue off as just a complainer of nothing.
I contacted them again and asked to talk to the manager. The service manager phoned me and said "I have read your complaint and looked at the pictures you sent us. I then went and looked at 2 Seltos on our showroom floor. At first they looked fine. But as you said it can be set at certain angles I then leaned down and got the light across that panel. Both have ripples like you said and I could even feel them prominently! There is an obvious problem with the production of this part of the Seltos." He was not happy his 2 showroom Seltos had the same problem.
He was a bit shocked when I said that, hey, the other in our town is several months older than mine!
He is raising this issue with Kia Australia and said dont worry. And im not sure about his last comment but appreciate his honesty in telling me he had 2 there the same and wasn't happy, the last comment was "Our Seltos here have some issues, this isnt the only one".
Anyway im not expecting an instant fix but feel very confident now that its been officially recognised. There must be thousands here with that issue mine has alone. Thankfully we get a 7 yr warranty, wish we got your US one, 10 yrs isnt it!?
So in a small way today was a good start result.
Here is 2 pictures of the older Seltos here with those dents or as the service guy calls ripples.
First you can see a prominent one close to the Logo, 3 others look like smear areas but are not. I drove past it several times but as we are in full Covid Lock down could not go to the house and talk.
The second outlines all the dent,dimple, ripples.
Will let you guys know how it pans out from Kia Aus eventually.
Cheers.
View attachment 679

Yeah the other 3 have bug splat marks but are 100% the same indent areas. We live in the bush and clean our windscreens every week from bugs.
View attachment 680 View attachment 680
I have the exact same issue. Got mine in February and only noticed a few weeks later when I had the Paint protection done. Taking it in for inspection next week. Thanks for your post. Hopefully this speeds things up and they don't try to blame me once I show them this post..

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the exact same issue. Got mine in February and only noticed a few weeks later when I had the Paint protection done. Taking it in for inspection next week. Thanks for your post. Hopefully this speeds things up and they don't try to blame me once I show them this post..
My recent offer on it was for me to take it to a crash repairer and have them put bog/filler on it and paint it.
Seriously they expect me to drive 60 ks to the town where they have nominated the crash repair, catch a bus home to the bush town I live in and wait for it to repaired like it was in a bingle or something with bog filler on my new car!? A Seltos I saw new in their yard had just 6 ripples, 3 each side of the logo. Mine has 8. It was even suggested it was part of the design! As if, if it was there would not be 8 on mine and 6 on the recent arrival. Others here from the US checked theirs and say they dont have this issue.
Its not acceptable. Good luck mate.

·
8 Posts
I ordered a Nose Cone with my Seltos GT Line AWD with 1.6 Turbo here in Australia. It arrived without its GT Line badge. It turned up 2 months late and the salesman just handed it to me and walked away ! I had a coffee and biscuit and sat around for half an hour. The salesman came back looking a little sheepish and asked "Would I like the Badge fitted properly ?" YES Please !
As stated I had a Nose Cone fitted and as they only come in Smoke and it is a tight fit I cannot see if I have a damaged panel underneath the cone.
I am not sure I want to look closely or remove the Nose Cone. The car in due for a "free" 3 month Checkup in another month.
Maybe I will have them look under the Nose cone then.
This is our first Kia after 40 plus years driving Toyoyas, so here's hoping for the very best from KIA.

·
8 Posts
I ordered a Nose Cone with my Seltos GT Line AWD with 1.6 Turbo here in Australia. It arrived without its GT Line badge. It turned up 2 months late and the salesman just handed it to me and walked away ! I had a coffee and biscuit and sat around for half an hour. The salesman came back looking a little sheepish and asked "Would I like the Badge fitted properly ?" YES Please !
As stated I had a Nose Cone fitted and as they only come in Smoke and it is a tight fit I cannot see if I have a damaged panel underneath the cone.
I am not sure I want to look closely or remove the Nose Cone. The car in due for a "free" 3 month Checkup in another month.
This is our first Kia after 40 plus years driving Toyotas, so here's hoping for the very best from KIA.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is our first Kia after 40 plus years driving Toyoyas, so here's hoping for the very best from KIA.
Hi mate. People in dealerships are in another world to ours.
Interesting to hear if yours looks the same. Id bet money on it. You can look straight on and it seems okay as the light hides the imperfections, ripples, but move along sideways watching and they show up in plain sight. Run your finger tips over them and you can actually feel them. The fact that Kia offered to pay for mine to be covered up 🤨 at a crash repairs shows they admit its a build issue.

·
1 Posts
Mine has these dents also. The issue is when I bought it the dealership wrote they'd fix them, but now they are trying to say it's just how the cars are produced and won't do much. I'm beyond aggrevated since I have it in writing from them. Kia needs to do something to fix these.

·
104 Posts
Mine has these dents also. The issue is when I bought it the dealership wrote they'd fix them, but now they are trying to say it's just how the cars are produced and won't do much. I'm beyond aggravated since I have it in writing from them. Kia needs to do something to fix these.
Contact KIA whatever county you are in. Let them handle it. Frankly, you should have not accepted the vehicle with dents in it when you picked it up. Tell them your lawyer will be in touch

1 - 20 of 22 Posts