Kia Seltos Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
2021 Seltos EX in Deep Ocean Blue
9 Posts
That is correct but that is what the original poster required "I am an avid mountain biker and would like to get a platform hitch bike rack "
Good point! :LOL:

I do wonder, however, how often people accidentally overload Cl 1 hitches with cargo shelves. Those things can take a lot of cargo and could easily surpass tongue weight if not careful!

Here's the Curt Class one installed on my Seltos. No cutting or trimming required. Tows my utility trailer like there's nothing there.
K-ville, that hitch setup looks deadly! Now you've got me wanting to get a hitch sooner than I was planning :D. SO will not be pleased ;).

·
19 Posts
Very interested to hear what they tell you! Thanks for keeping us (me) updated.

I checked out kiasoulforums.com and found quite a few discussions on this topic. People there have received a variety of information from Kia US, their dealerships, and mechanics. Kia seems to stick to the recommendation in the manual. According to forum members, at least, dealerships don't seem to have a problem with it, even when it comes to warranty replacement/repair of transmissions that may have been damaged as a result of taking it too far. And mechanics seem to be pretty common sense about it - stick to a reasonable limit, and don't drive like an idiot on the road ('2x the stopping distance with no trailer brakes!'). The main recommendations for the vehicle itself seem to be that if you plan on going into very hilly terrain or very long distances, consider a beefed-up transmission cooler and upgraded front brakes.

I don't have the need right now, but I am planning on getting a small ute trailer for my Seltos to help with small renovations, landscaping, etc. Look forward to trying it out!
This is KIA response for what its worth ( To tow a trailer you would have to install a hitch. This would involve an alteration or a modification that may affect operational systems of your vehicle. This would not be covered under the vehicle’s warranty (see page 8 under “What is Not Covered”).

·
2021 Seltos EX Premium
26 Posts
This is KIA response for what its worth ( To tow a trailer you would have to install a hitch. This would involve an alteration or a modification that may affect operational systems of your vehicle. This would not be covered under the vehicle’s warranty (see page 8 under “What is Not Covered”).
That's an interesting reply, because it's a direct bolt-on hitch to the brackets that are already part of the vehicle. There is no modification or alteration required. In fact, the hitch that KIA sells, bolts onto the same bracket as the Curt hitch.
Also, if you download the PDF of the owners manual and search for towing, there are numerous references to "When towing a vehicle or trailer". They want owners to know that safety systems, like rear cross traffic alert and such, will not operate properly when a trailer is in place. There are idiot owners who will hook up a 24 ft camper trailer and wonder why their transmission burned up, but I have no worries about my little utility trailer and a trip to the lumber yard or the dump.
The Seltos will tell you if your transmission is overheating, long before you do any damage. You can see the warning in this uphill test which starts at 10:10 in this video

·
19 Posts
Ya I don't see any worries, insurance is good with it, DOT doesn't seem to care and warranty not covered if you do something stupid. Other than Insurance, the DOT and KIA were pretty gray .

·
2021 Seltos EX Premium
26 Posts
k-ville, did you install it or have someone do it for you?
I had my local utility trailer guy install it.

One last point that I forgot to mention above.
From the Seltos manual:
Vehicle capacity weight:
390 kg (860 lbs.)
Vehicle capacity weight is the maximum
combined weight of occupants
and cargo. If your vehicle is equipped
with a trailer, the combined weight
includes the tongue load.

The Seltos is still pretty new, so not much info on the internet about towing, but the Soul has similar specs and there are hundreds of pics and posts about people towing with it with no issues.

Good video on the Soul towing a 2300 lb U-haul across the US.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts