Kia Seltos Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
5 Posts
it wont fit! there are NO holes in the frame on the bottom, the holes for mounting it are in the inside wall of the frame. Look at the 1 1/4 one, the holes for mount are verticle, not horizontal
The Torklift hitch picture looks to have holes on the side AND the bottom...(although the statement says the actual one may be different than the picture) so maybe the bottom ones are for another vehicle.
But I just noticed that the web site/ad was JUST updated from "2021" to "2021 - 2022" in the last few days; maybe that means that they verified it fits the 2022. Think I'll ask and update here in case anyone else is interested...

·
93 Posts

·
11 Posts
I texted my sales woman yesterday to ask about towing a motorcycle trailer with a loaded weight of less than 1000lbs. This is what she sent me:

"KIA does not rate the Seltos for any towing. A lifestyle tow hitch can be added, this would be for like bike racks or something. A towing hitch could be added aftermarket but if anything happened it would not be covered under warranty"

Needless to say I will not be adding any kind of hitch for towing to the Seltos and lose the powertrain warranty.

I submitted a request to KIA USA to ask this same question to get the info directly from them.

·
93 Posts
I texted my sales woman yesterday to ask about towing a motorcycle trailer with a loaded weight of less than 1000lbs. This is what she sent me:

"KIA does not rate the Seltos for any towing. A lifestyle tow hitch can be added, this would be for like bike racks or something. A towing hitch could be added aftermarket but if anything happened it would not be covered under warranty"

Needless to say I will not be adding any kind of hitch for towing to the Seltos and lose the powertrain warranty.

I submitted a request to KIA USA to ask this same question to get the info directly from them.
Well that's your choice, manual says towing not recommended, no where does it say your warranty would be voided .The Seltos is more than capable to tow some thing less than 1000 lb js

·
11 Posts
Well that's your choice, manual says towing not recommended, no where does it say your warranty would be voided .The Seltos is more than capable to tow some thing less than 1000 lb js
I wish it was a choice, but when a dealer directly tells you they won't cover your powertrain if you tow, that's not exactly a choice. That's a decision to say screw the warranty I'll take my chances. On an engine and transmission package that has already been recalled twice, better safe than sorry. I am curious what KIA themselves has to say. I'll post their reply here when I receive it.

·
93 Posts
I wish it was a choice, but when a dealer directly tells you they won't cover your powertrain if you tow, that's not exactly a choice. That's a decision to say screw the warranty I'll take my chances. On an engine and transmission package that has already been recalled twice, better safe than sorry. I am curious what KIA themselves has to say. I'll post their reply here when I receive it.
That's unfortunate, my dealer took me out to Seltos in the lot at the time of purchase and showed me were it was mounted and it would be fine to tow a small utility trailer.

·
1 Posts
The Torklift hitch picture looks to have holes on the side AND the bottom...(although the statement says the actual one may be different than the picture) so maybe the bottom ones are for another vehicle.
But I just noticed that the web site/ad was JUST updated from "2021" to "2021 - 2022" in the last few days; maybe that means that they verified it fits the 2022. Think I'll ask and update here in case anyone else is interested...
Hey SteveD,
You get any more information on the Torklift? I don’t love the price but seems to be the only option to offer a true 2” receiver. Just want something to put my 6 bike Yamika rack on. Should have researched this more before my Seltos purchase.

·
5 Posts
Hey SteveD,
You get any more information on the Torklift? I don’t love the price but seems to be the only option to offer a true 2” receiver. Just want something to put my 6 bike Yamika rack on. Should have researched this more before my Seltos purchase.
Hey Kayce, sorry it tool a while to respond; have been out of the country for a bit. I did get a response from the mfg, Torklift, who said that they tested the 2021 hitch on the 2022 Seltos and it fits:
" We did just complete testing on the 2022 Seltos. Since we are still in the process of updating the website for the new fitments there are some that may not fully come through yet. The EcoHitch has been confirmed for the 2022 model."
They also raised the price.. :( Did you end up buying this or trying anything else?

·
5 Posts
Hey SteveD,
I decided against the Torklift as the price increased significantly since I was looking at it last... Draw-tite now has a 2" hitch for the 2022 Seltos (I have the SX Turbo), more reasonable cost and it fit perfectly. Have to be really careful in snaking in the bolts.

·
2021 Seltos EX in Deep Ocean Blue
24 Posts
I decided against the Torklift as the price increased significantly since I was looking at it last... Draw-tite now has a 2" hitch for the 2022 Seltos (I have the SX Turbo), more reasonable cost and it fit perfectly. Have to be really careful in snaking in the bolts.
My wife and I have decided to go ahead with hitching up the Seltos and getting a small tent trailer to dip our toes in the travel trailer waters. From everything that I have read, it seems that this will be a good pairing. I am looking to get a trailer around 1,400-1,600 lbs with a hitch weight of ~10%. Therefore a class I should be sufficient. That said, the Draw-tite 2" is appealing if only for the increased hitch weight allowance (300 lbs vs the class I 200 lbs).

I have never towed a trailer before, however, and am interested in anyone's input on getting ready for this. I see separate towing allowances in AUS depending on braked or not, but I don't see a way for the Seltos to actuate brakes on trailers with electric brakes. I assume that this requires the installation of a separate brake controller; is this recommended for a trailer of this size on the likes of the '21 Seltos?

SteveD, interested in your experience installing the hitch; did you also install the wiring harness? I don't work with cars, but I am fairly handy and feel that I could probably get the hitch on myself. It's the harness that I'm more concerned about especially since I assume that it involves the removal of light assemblies, etc.

·
93 Posts
My wife and I have decided to go ahead with hitching up the Seltos and getting a small tent trailer to dip our toes in the travel trailer waters. From everything that I have read, it seems that this will be a good pairing. I am looking to get a trailer around 1,400-1,600 lbs with a hitch weight of ~10%. Therefore a class I should be sufficient. That said, the Draw-tite 2" is appealing if only for the increased hitch weight allowance (300 lbs vs the class I 200 lbs).

I have never towed a trailer before, however, and am interested in anyone's input on getting ready for this. I see separate towing allowances in AUS depending on braked or not, but I don't see a way for the Seltos to actuate brakes on trailers with electric brakes. I assume that this requires the installation of a separate brake controller; is this recommended for a trailer of this size on the likes of the '21 Seltos?

SteveD, interested in your experience installing the hitch; did you also install the wiring harness? I don't work with cars, but I am fairly handy and feel that I could probably get the hitch on myself. It's the harness that I'm more concerned about especially since I assume that it involves the removal of light assemblies, etc.
Hello Dave, I think it's pushing the Seltos rear suspension to have over 200 lb tongue weight. I doubt you can purchase a 1500 lb trailer in Canada that has brakes. The hitch installation is relatively simple, I would recommend two person job to lift it. The trickiest part I found was holding the fastener in place after removing snake wire to install nuts. Make sure you purchase plug & play wiring kit, the installation is simple. I was a little concerned removing the tail light, after removing the fasteners I had to use quite a bit of sliding force to dislocate them from the grommets(it's not as easy as youtbe makes it look lol), was actually a little concerned about cracking them but it all went well in the end. All in all you should be ok, but I would concentrate keeping the travel weight down I think the Seltos suspension is soft.

·
24 Posts
Hello Dave, I think it's pushing the Seltos rear suspension to have over 200 lb tongue weight.
That's a good point. I wasn't really planning on pushing it past 200 either way, I guess I'm just a peace of mind kinda person - sort of like how I overbuild my decks and sheds :)

Guy at a local car shop was horrified to think that someone might tow even a sub-2000 lb load with a class I, even while respecting various limits on the hitch. Is this unfounded? Do people really believe that a class I is 100% up to the task of towing a 1500 lb travel trailer with 150 lb of tongue weight?

Good to hear about the ease of installation. The question is: to save $200 on install, or faff around for a few hours myself?

·
24 Posts
Big news, I called UHaul to see if they could source a Draw-Tite class III and they said they could not, but if I could, they would install it at their usual rate. I checked their site one last time for a comparison on the cost of wiring harnesses and voila, they have a 2 in. receiver available for the '21 Seltos now, I believe from Draw-Tite as the parts number starts the same as the class I from the same brand. I have ordered the receiver and wiring harness and am going to let UHaul install it all for $135 which saves me getting dirty, getting my hands on a bunch of car parts I am not so familiar with, and the risk that I eff something up. Install scheduled for next week, I'll take pictures when it's done :)

Now, time to go tent trailer shopping!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts