Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When starting my Seltos on an uphill slope I sometimes get a 'clunk' as I start off in Drive. This seems to be because the car rolls back slightly as it engages. If I apply the foot brake before moving off the hand brake is released and the problem occurs. I find that if I leave the hand brake engaged as I start this gets around the problem. Is it OK to apply the accelerator without releasing the electronic hand brake?

·
106 Posts
Check your manual. There is like 6 pages on EPB use in the owners manual. Read it cause there is some stuff in there worth being aware of. Ultimately, the EPB begins disengagement as soon as you shift out of Park.
Automatic release of EPB
The EPB is released automatically under following conditions.
  • Shift lever in P (Park) With the engine running engage the brake pedal and shift out of P (Park) to R (Reverse) or D (Drive).
  • Shift lever in N (Neutral) With the engine running engage the brake pedal and shift out of N (Neutral) to R (Reverse) or D (Drive).
  • Dual clutch transmission / Intelligent Variable Transmission
    1. Start the engine.
    2. Fasten the driver's seat belt.
    3. Close the driver's door, hood and liftgate.
    4. Press the accelerator pedal while the shift lever is in R (Rear), D (Drive) or Sports mode.
Make sure the brake warning light goes off.
This is a little bit of Safety tidbit to file away in the back of your brain for an emergency.
Emergency braking with the EPB switch
If there is a problem with the brake pedal while driving, emergency braking is possible by pulling up and holding the EPB switch. Braking is possible only while you are holding the EPB switch
It goes on to say this is only in the case of emergency cause doing so could cause sudden loss of control.
Warning
Do not operate the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) while the vehicle is moving except in an emergency situation. Applying the EPB while the vehicle is moving at normal speeds can cause a sudden loss of control of the vehicle. If you must use the EPB to stop the vehicle, use great caution in applying the brake.

·
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
196 Posts
Check your manual. There is like 6 pages on EPB use in the owners manual. Read it cause there is some stuff in there worth being aware of. Ultimately, the EPB begins disengagement as soon as you shift out of Park.

This is a little bit of Safety tidbit to file away in the back of your brain for an emergency.

It goes on to say this is only in the case of emergency cause doing so could cause sudden loss of control.
Early Seltos models and some markets did not have the EPB. I've seen plenty of Seltos with a proper handbrake even in our market. I was actually holding out hope that they would keep the feature, but it was not to be...lol.
That being said, models with a manual handbrake may not have the hill hold feature I previously mentioned.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
168 Posts

I have a 2021 Seltos SX turbo and I think it was a "stupid" decision on KIA to make the Emerg. Brake Electronic. Why? I have already had issues with this. I had my car at the dealer for a week, because my EMerg Brake light wouldn't turn off and they where afraid that this was dangerous. It turned out that they had to replace the Vacuum Pump on the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts