Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Seltos GT-line, (=SX), 2020 model, Mars Orange, 1.6L turbo, AWD
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi dear people. Maybe like me, to many of you, the fact that the Seltos, well, some models anyway, have a remote start function might well come as a surprise. Especially seeing it appears to be one of those best kept secrets. You won't find it in any spec sheet or manual to my knowledge. I only found out because of mention of it in our Australian Forum Seltos section, referencing a mention of it in possibly this forum, or another. Otherwise, who knew..? 馃

On the surface of it, it does seem a bit superfluous, as while the ability to start it in advance to pre-heat or cool the vehicle, before you get in, seems not all that useful if you have to be in range already for it to work. Why bother? - may as well just get in and get going, right..? Instead of just hanging round nearby waiting. Maybe there is - or will be - an app that'll allow it to be started vis the phone..? Someone else may know..?

However, the other day I realised I had a quite beneficial use for it. MY wife sadly has a medical condition now that not only prevents her driving, she is now largely wheelchair bound, so getting her in and out of the car is a bit of a production, tempting me to leave her at home more. But she just loves to go out in the car. So, often I take her, and leave her in the car while I duck into whatever shop etc necessary, but because of the hijack danger now, which sadly appears to be everywhere - even here - I like to lock the car with her in it. However, now weather is getting hotter that's no longer reasonable or safe to do without the aircon on. How to leave her safely locked in but with engine running and the air on - and without the horrible shriek the car emits, (unable to be turned off), which happens if you try to do this with the key in your pocket...?

Exactly. Turn off, hop out, click the Lock button, then the Hold button for 2 seconds, and Bob's yeruncle, the car restarts, air is on, doors locked, wife cool as a cucumber, while I do my ducking in and out. I timed it. It runs for ten minutes then stops. That's long enough for most ducking in and out stuff. Problem solved..! Wife happy. 馃憤 馃槉
Warning. Do NOT do this to leave children in the vehicle. They could possibly activate the transmission. Also remember it only lasts for ten minutes.
Pete
PS. I have just found reference to Remote Engine Start in the latest Australian Seltos Specs website under the subheading of security.

Super Moderator
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
The Kia Connect App (if you have a subscription) will remote start the vehicle from anywhere in the world. You can set the timer up to 10 minutes, select cabin temperature you want, and even select which seats you want on heat or cool (plus level)

The Kia Connect App (if you have a subscription) will remote start the vehicle from anywhere in the world. You can set the timer up to 10 minutes, select cabin temperature you want, and even select which seats you want on heat or cool (plus level)

*in theory

The 2 places I park seem to be in dead zones, home and work. LOL Both outside in wide open areas.

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speed, is this Kia Connect thing available now for all models, or only for those since a certain year..? In other words is it available for say my late 2019 - called 2020 - model..?

Super Moderator
Speed, is this Kia Connect thing available now for all models, or only for those since a certain year..? In other words is it available for say my late 2019 - called 2020 - model..?
Not certain, you might be able to find more info here though.
Edit: looks like it only covers US, no Seltos until 鈥21. You may have to ask your dealer.

2023 SX Gravity Gray
??? You don't stand around waiting for the car to get warm. You start it from inside your house while you're finishing your morning routine. So when you leave, the ice has melted from the windshield or at least the engine is up to temp so the heater is blowing hot.
*in theory

The 2 places I park seem to be in dead zones, home and work. LOL Both outside in wide open areas.
Same. I use it from all types of places and it only works about 50% of the time. The car is outside uncovered and I have full cell service. I can even be on WiFi, doesn't matter. Overall, it's a cool looking app with lots of nice feature and great info. But if it doesn't work 95+% of the time, it's worthless.

On a related note, I've worked in the aftermarket remote start scene for nearly 20 years. Compustar's Drone is very similar, much cheaper per month (less than half), and works MUCH more reliably. It will not provide all the small info that the Connect app does (fuel level, etc), but it'll start the car, control the locks, and track its location.

Super Moderator
??? You don't stand around waiting for the car to get warm. You start it from inside your house while you're finishing your morning routine. So when you leave, the ice has melted from the windshield or at least the engine is up to temp so the heater is blowing hot.
I don't think Peter has to worry too much about ice if you were referring to him...lol

Super Moderator
I figured, but he seems to have forgotten why the rest of us would use it! It's not a strange nor surprising feature. :)
To be fair, I was surprised when I found out they equipped Australian market cars with a remote start. I actually figured they wouldn't have that feature as it probably wasn't required, but SHCS pointed out that he uses it to cool his car down before getting in it...which makes sense.

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be fair, I was surprised when I found out they equipped Australian market cars with a remote start. I actually figured they wouldn't have that feature as it probably wasn't required, but SHCS pointed out that he uses it to cool his car down before getting in it...which makes sense.
Yeah. At the time I posted, I was unaware of the Kia Connect app, allowing very remote starting, so was under the impression that you would need to be within the smart key range for it to work. That does tend to limit its usefulness somewhat in terms of precooling or prewarming. However fine for the purpose I posted at the top. 馃憤

Super Moderator
Yeah. At the time I posted, I was unaware of the Kia Connect app, allowing very remote starting, so was under the impression that you would need to be within the smart key range for it to work. That does tend to limit its usefulness somewhat in terms of precooling or prewarming. However fine for the purpose I posted at the top. 馃憤
And by SHCS, I meant Peter47鈥 apparently my brain wasn鈥檛 working that great yesterday鈥︷煒傪煒傪煒

Hi dear people. Maybe like me, to many of you, the fact that the Seltos, well, some models anyway, have a remote start function might well come as a surprise. Especially seeing it appears to be one of those best kept secrets. You won't find it in any spec sheet or manual to my knowledge. I only found out because of mention of it in our Australian Forum Seltos section, referencing a mention of it in possibly this forum, or another. Otherwise, who knew..? 馃

On the surface of it, it does seem a bit superfluous, as while the ability to start it in advance to pre-heat or cool the vehicle, before you get in, seems not all that useful if you have to be in range already for it to work. Why bother? - may as well just get in and get going, right..? Instead of just hanging round nearby waiting. Maybe there is - or will be - an app that'll allow it to be started vis the phone..? Someone else may know..?

However, the other day I realised I had a quite beneficial use for it. MY wife sadly has a medical condition now that not only prevents her driving, she is now largely wheelchair bound, so getting her in and out of the car is a bit of a production, tempting me to leave her at home more. But she just loves to go out in the car. So, often I take her, and leave her in the car while I duck into whatever shop etc necessary, but because of the hijack danger now, which sadly appears to be everywhere - even here - I like to lock the car with her in it. However, now weather is getting hotter that's no longer reasonable or safe to do without the aircon on. How to leave her safely locked in but with engine running and the air on - and without the horrible shriek the car emits, (unable to be turned off), which happens if you try to do this with the key in your pocket...?

Exactly. Turn off, hop out, click the Lock button, then the Hold button for 2 seconds, and Bob's yeruncle, the car restarts, air is on, doors locked, wife cool as a cucumber, while I do my ducking in and out. I timed it. It runs for ten minutes then stops. That's long enough for most ducking in and out stuff. Problem solved..! Wife happy. 馃憤 馃槉
Warning. Do NOT do this to leave children in the vehicle. They could possibly activate the transmission. Also remember it only lasts for ten minutes.
Pete
PS. I have just found reference to Remote Engine Start in the latest Australian Seltos Specs website under the subheading of security.
Hello from Canada. You mentioned that you hope someday there will be a phone app to start the car. Maybe it is different in Australia but here we can download an app on our phone and use it to start the car (at least on the 2023 models). See if it is available in your area by searching "Kia" where you download your apps.

Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello from Canada. You mentioned that you hope someday there will be a phone app to start the car. Maybe it is different in Australia but here we can download an app on our phone and use it to start the car (at least on the 2023 models). See if it is available in your area by searching "Kia" where you download your apps.
Yeah, thanks Brian. Actually, others advised re the Kia Connect app over this, but sadly it appears my 2019/20 (stamped Oct 2019) model is not able to access Kia Connect - not yet anyway - maybe never. But not to worry. 10 mins of running is all I need for us, and the specific purpose I first posted about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts