Kia Seltos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like to ask you guys your experiences with the car miles range just after a refill. So, the Seltos has roughly 13 gallons in the tank. My avg mpg is 25 (mostly city drive) and it is as described in the car specs. However I noticed that when I refill the tank, the total miles range goes to around 400 miles (that means an mpg above 30) while in reality I am only getting about 250 miles per tank. How is that? And what's your experience? Thanks

·
119 Posts
Hello, I would like to ask you guys your experiences with the car miles range just after a refill. So, the Seltos has roughly 13 gallons in the tank. My avg mpg is 25 (mostly city drive) and it is as described in the car specs. However I noticed that when I refill the tank, the total miles range goes to around 400 miles (that means an mpg above 30) while in reality I am only getting about 250 miles per tank. How is that? And what's your experience? Thanks
Highest I've managed is 34.2MPG on a trip from CA to WA. Typically average is 29MPG - combination city and highway. One thing that I do at each fill up is reset everything so I am not certain this has an impact. Perhaps the 400 mile range at fill up is based on recent milage as I have seen it be from 380 to 400 at fill-up.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Highest I've managed is 34.2MPG on a trip from CA to WA. Typically average is 29MPG - combination city and highway. One thing that I do at each fill up is reset everything so I am not certain this has an impact. Perhaps the 400 mile range at fill up is based on recent milage as I have seen it be from 380 to 400 at fill-up.
Thanks for the reply. I do reset the mpg at every fill. Last time I refilled the mpg was 24.8, so I have no idea how it got to 400 miles range. It simply makes no sense. I do about 250 miles each tank, and not 400

·
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I do reset the mpg at every fill. Last time I refilled the mpg was 24.8, so I have no idea how it got to 400 miles range. It simply makes no sense. I do about 250 miles each tank, and not 400
I've noticed this as well. I've had my Seltos for 3 weeks, 3 full tanks of gas. Each fill up tells me 410 miles to empty range. I only average around 280. Do you think it makes a difference as to what octane fuel we are using? My 3 fill ups was 87 octane. Today I filled up on 91 just to see what happens

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've noticed this as well. I've had my Seltos for 3 weeks, 3 full tanks of gas. Each fill up tells me 410 miles to empty range. I only average around 280. Do you think it makes a difference as to what octane fuel we are using? My 3 fill ups was 87 octane. Today I filled up on 91 just to see what happens
I did noticed in the past (with different cars) a little better mpg when refilling with higher octane gas, but not that much. I did what u did anyway, and used 91 for my last one. Was only a couple of days ago, so too early to say, but my avg per tank is 250 so far, not even close to the "predicted" 400 from the dash. Something is definitely wrong here.

·
119 Posts
OK, filled up today with 87 Octane - 398 Miles to empty was listed as range after fill up. When I arrived at the gas station, range said 94 miles to empty and gauge was not at E. Still, full tank returned a range of 398 miles to empty. Since the gauge is basing the range on fuel level as measured by the gauge and current driving habits, 398miles/12gallon tank = 33MPG which is about right as I am averaging 27 to 29 with city and highway driving.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, filled up today with 87 Octane - 398 Miles to empty was listed as range after fill up. When I arrived at the gas station, range said 94 miles to empty and gauge was not at E. Still, full tank returned a range of 398 miles to empty. Since the gauge is basing the range on fuel level as measured by the gauge and current driving habits, 398miles/12gallon tank = 33MPG which is about right as I am averaging 27 to 29 with city and highway driving.
Thanks for sharing. Funny thing is I do see the same total range, but my avg is 25mpg. Then over time the range decreases way faster than the actual miles driven. Very weird

·
2021 Kia Seltos S FWD IVT (4 Cyl 2 L)
4 Posts
If you usually average 25 mpg you probably wanna be on the safe side and subtract 20-25% from the "miles to empty." I probably will tend to trust the actual fuel gauge rather than the "miles to empty" number.

·
16 Posts
Isn’t a big factor in mileage per tankful, the speed at which we drive and accelerate too? If a vehicle is traveling 15 mph or more above the speed limit I would expect gas mileage to suffer a lot. Using air conditioning affects mpg and stomping on the gas pedal does as well. Using cruise control on open highways really seems to help too. I suspect, driving circa the spped limit and using cruise control would bring tankful to more the ballpark of 400 miles per tankful. On a side note, my first break job on 2016 Kia Soul Base was at 88,482 miles and my trusted mechanic said I didn’t even need to do the brakes yet and had more time. I did the brakes anyway and got brand new rotors too. I get those results pretty much with all vehicles that I drive. So I think the way we drive and the speed we travel at is a large factor in our gas mpg calculation per tankful. Let us know if any of these or other adjustments has a positive effect on gas calculations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts