Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. I now drive NORMAL. There’s not much difference in gas consumption as long as I drive conservatively. With SMART mode, starting up on a green, the computer controls my driving while the guy behind me is about to plow me with his front bumper and I don’t want to rev up the turbo just to startup quick. So, NORMAL mode it is.

·
53 Posts
Yep. I now drive NORMAL. There’s not much difference in gas consumption as long as I drive conservatively. With SMART mode, starting up on a green, the computer controls my driving while the guy behind me is about to plow me with his front bumper and I don’t want to rev up the turbo just to startup quick. So, NORMAL mode it is.
It's my understanding that when smart mode is selected, it will "toggle " between normal and sport automatically depending on the way you drive. I read something that said, don't confuse smart with "eco" mode

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's my understanding that when smart mode is selected, it will "toggle " between normal and sport automatically depending on the way you drive. I read something that said, don't confuse smart with "eco" mode
In SMART mode, the system looks at the accelerator input. If you step on the accelerator harder at startup on green, it will switch to NORMAL, then SPORT. But I don’t want to do that all the time. I want smooth but snappy startup. With SMART mode, if I start up smoothly, it’s too smooth that you may get plowed ny the guy behind you. So, NORMAL it is. No, I’m not confusing SMART with Eco mode.

·
5 Posts
A good way to think of SMART mode is basically an ECO mode that has the ability to automatically turn itself off if you floor the accelerator. I have found that the throttle mapping in smart mode is actually a little more conservative than in normal mode, so it's not just toggling between the normal and sport mappings. I personally have always left mine in normal mode. If you are a conservative driver the smart throttle map is the best one, but for me it didn't fix the major issue I have with the whole setup: that the minimum throttle application is too much when trying to hold a steady speed in town.

Add to this the fact that the ECU adapts the throttle inputs somewhat over time no matter which mode you use.

·
Premium Member
2021 Seltos SX Starbright Yellow
26 Posts
I see some references here to "Eco" mode. I have a '21 SX, and have never come across that setting. I haver 3 choices: Normal, Smart, and Sport. How is Eco mode engaged?

·
59 Posts
Yes I discovered same thing. I have over 20,000 on my SX turbo. NORMAL for me..😀

·
2021 Neptune Blue Kia Seltos S AWD
10 Posts
I will add at least in my AWD S model 2.0, Smart mode essential turns the SUV into FWD. Other than pull off the back wheels will not receive any power during normal driving conditions. In Smart I have hit 40mpg but you gotta let the computer do it's thing.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I will add at least in my AWD S model 2.0, Smart mode essential turns the SUV into FWD. Other than pull off the back wheels will not receive any power during normal driving conditions. In Smart I have hit 40mpg but you gotta let the computer do it's thing.
You are exactly right. The computer does its ting in SMART mode. That’s why I don’t drive Smart mode anymore because the computer does not look at the rearview mirror to see if the guy behind you is about to plow you off the lane on a start up on a green light. When I was driving SMART, almost always, I had to step on the gas to engage AWD and turbo to avoid being plowed. I hate doing that. So I switched to NORMAL. I can control the amount of acceleration and do it smoothly.

·
10 Posts
I live in a province that has 90% gravel road (reason for the purchase of an economical AWD) and I found the smart mode to be very buggy, on gravel it just can't decide what it wants to do and o found my odometer bouncing over 1k rpm in either direction, normal mode forever for me.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in a province that has 90% gravel road (reason for the purchase of an economical AWD) and I found the smart mode to be very buggy, on gravel it just can't decide what it wants to do and o found my odometer bouncing over 1k rpm in either direction, normal mode forever for me.
Right on. I guess there's only two of us who don't drive SMART! The main reason why I don't drive smart is because here where I live in the U.S.of.A., most are driving big pickup trucks and when the light turns green, those powerful trucks really goes and if I'm in front of one, it's scary situation.

·
2 Posts
We drove from Southeast Missouri to California using the Smart Mode, kind of irriatating.

We drove from California to Southeast Missouri in Normal Mode, the was very little if any difference in mpg. I like to use Sport Mode when merging onto an Interstate. Now I drive in Normal Mode.

Climbing some steep grades I shift into manual mode.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Climbing some steep grades I shift into manual mode.
I shift to manual on the interstate with Smart Cruise. Reason - I don’t want the engine revving up going up on an incline to maintain the speed on auto. I shift manually when I need to especially on steep grades on I-44 in Missouri between Springfield and STL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts