1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Seltos SX Starbright Yellow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 SX

Wonder if anyone has experienced any of these:
1) A couple of times while backing the back up camera display flashes on and off repeatedly.
2) Bucking/surging mostly at low speeds when cold.
3) What sound and feel like well-muffled backfires on cold morning start.
4) Poor fuel economy 19-20 city, 23-25 hwy. (I'm an old guy and drive like one! Very easy acceleration, stops, etc. and follow speed limits.)

Of course dealer says "no codes, nothing wrong" and acts like I just make this stuff up. They've got to be the worse Kia dealer in the network!

·
2021 Seltos SX
7 Posts
I can only write from my experience on my 2021 SX,

1) A couple of times while backing the back up camera display flashes on and off repeatedly.
-- Has not happened to me. Do you have the latest infotainment version installed (not the one that came out this week)? Updating might fix it.
2) Bucking/surging mostly at low speeds when cold.
-- I think is a peculiarity of the Kia DCT. I have this with my Seltos at low speeds and stop and go traffic sometimes, but also had similar behaviour on my 2017 Forte5 SX. Both have the same engine and transmission (albeit setup differently). I've seen other people make similar comments about the DCT on the Seltos and other models using the same engine and transmission.
3) What sound and feel like well-muffled backfires on cold morning start.
-- News to me. But the coldest I have started my car so has been about 3c. Winter is coming, so I guess I'll find out.
4) Poor fuel economy 19-20 city, 23-25 hwy. (I'm an old guy and drive like one! Very easy acceleration, stops, etc. and follow speed limits.)
-- Seems a little low, but if the car is new I would let it break in a bit. I average 8-9L/100km (25-30mpg) with mostly highway driving, which is in line with the EPA mileage. Comparatively, the smaller Forte5 with FWD consistently averaged 30mpg over 4 years. Seltos is bigger and heavier, mileage will be lower regardless.

·
Premium Member
2021 Seltos SX Starbright Yellow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I pretty much accepted it as "break-in" mileage, but now over 4,000 miles and same numbers.

·
205 Posts
Yes - the backup camera flashed on and off once or twice backing out of garage - looked like the message said something about unable to connect (?) like it's a wireless connection (?) Hasn't happened recently. I don't like the transmission either but the non-turbos seems to have more engine/transmission issues. Per the screen I can get 27-29 MPG 'around town' pretty easily. No 'backfires' (had mine since last November) but no cold weather yet either here in CO.... I'm sorry there are so many issues people report with Seltos - I suppose it's probably like that with other manufacturers also...

·
7 Posts
I've experienced 1 and 2, but not 3 or 4. My fuel economy has been inline with what I was expecting.

I have had the flashing backup camera issue once. I also found if you put the transmission in neutral while it is doing this the entire infotainment screen will flash on and off too after it exits the camera view. Even recorded a video of it with my phone to show the dealership if it kept happening, but it only has done it that one time so far. The next time I drove the car it booted up and functioned normally. Whatever CAMBUS that talks to the rear camera probably failed to boot properly and the software didn't know how to exit from a bad programming state.

For #2 I chalk it up to dual clutch shenanigans. Every time you start the car the transmission performs a self check and sets a few parameters for clutch timing and engagement. It has to do this every time because it makes some adjustments for temperature and such. I have found that sometimes you just get an "off" self check and the transmission will be more clunky than usual. Typcially the next time the vehicle is driven it has gone back to normal. Like it or not my belief is that this is all normal operation of these systems for better or worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts