Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
294 Posts
Called Mapnsoft and they said something about the server being down for at least the Seltos updates...asking users to try back after 5/13/22...... Get this screen. Maybe they are fixing the problem noted above...?

·
294 Posts
Just back from a 2500 mile trip ourselves to see the grandkids. I know what you mean about 2 waypoints...but we put in the next hotel as the destination and then during the day used Waypoints only for the next gas/food stop - since we had to see how bladder control was going we didn't want to put them in before hand (although trying to learn and be able to pre-plan since we'll be doing this trip again). It's easy to use the "Along the Route" option to see gas etc, and that way the wife could weigh in easily.

Nav worked great otherwise with two exceptions - it still claims a particular left turn is not available on the WSU campus in Pullman WA, but it is, and for some reason it was confused about a Subway destination off an interstate - took us there but wanted us to get off one exit early which caused an extra mile or two on side roads.

The bigger issue for me is, once you have a waypoint entered and it doesn't record that you got there or you want to delete, it's confusing how to delete it - you have begin adding another waypoint (I think) to get to the waypoint screen, then double tap on the waypoint you want to delete and a small menu pops up to let you delete it. That is confusing for the old man. Otherwise, it meets our needs fine and I like how you can use the tuning knob to zoom in/out. Other than that, 5 Hour Energy really helped on this trip. P.S. I have top of line Kia subscription but HD Data Fuel Prices and Weather did not work anywhere on this rather remote trip (WY, MT, WA) - just "no data received" or something similar (Gas Buddy and our 9 News Weather app with radar (for the whole world) fills that need.

·
294 Posts
At least you figured out how to delete the waypoint. My experience is that if you do genuinely reach a waypoint, according to what the navigation thinks, it will delete it and go on to the next one. However, many times it doesn't realize that you are at the waypoint. That's my experience. Also one time on this trip we got a long message saying that we had passed the waypoint and did do we want to continue to the destination. That seemed kind of helpful but like you other times it was wanting me to do a U-turn to go to the waypoint even though we had basically been there.

·
294 Posts
Confirmed with Autoever that they are still looking at a 5/13 release date for the update for Seltos's with factory Nav....and the other currently available update is for ones without factory navigation ("Display Audio SW Update").... Nice that at least a real person picks up when you call, even on a Sat.

·
294 Posts
Update was available today - again you need a 64GB USB drive. The update took an hour and 17 min in the car! You must keep the car "going" or it will shut off by itself! Things seems to work. I'm not an Android Auto user - maybe I did something wrong but I don't see full screen - right 1/3 is time/date - see pic. The Radio app definitely changed, see pic. You can use the hamburger icon to change the order...and you can still see the full channel list by clicking on the CHannel List button when that pops up. Some pix.

On your PC download the files to a 64 GB USB using the updater app at update.kia.com (took about 30 min). Insert the USB in the car (center USB) and start car. I saw this screen.

A screen saying "45 min" update time appears.... Then

Stays on this screen for well over an hour:

Get the "Restoring Data" screen near the end.

Radio Screen:

Re Android Auto - full screen...??:

S/W:

see more sw screens.pdf - wouldn't let me save more screen shots here....

Attachments

Reactions: smrtech

·
294 Posts
Other people imply that they do that during the update, go on a nice long drive. The message while updating just implies that certain things related to navigation won't work. I'm afraid I'd stop and turn the engine off accidentally! It is a shame, at these gas prices, to just have it sitting in your driveway for an hour and a quarter. Maybe it will go faster for other people.

·
294 Posts
I messed around with the radio settings and most of the other stuff yesterday for a while and everything seems to be working fine. The screen that shows what it thinks you are saying with voice commands is interesting - you still have to have good reception strength for the voice stuff to work reliably. That is my problem around here, especially around my house neighborhood.

·
294 Posts
All the instructions say to run your car while it's doing the update - unfortunately, it's pretty long now at an hour and a quarter, at least on my car. Others should try it - maybe it's shorter and I'm just slow as usual! Anyway - it's not something I want to mess around with, just want to get it over with. Seems to be working well.

·
294 Posts
I hope the "appropriate personnel" will email me to confirm to go ahead and use a battery charger/maintainer to update my SXT.
Well, don't hold your breath for a response! I know a bigger USB drive is required but I assume that means better maps and more poi's etc. Thanks for keeping us up to date with your findings.

·
294 Posts
I don't use Android auto but in post 17 above I thought I had it set up to do full screen Android auto after the update but you can see the results that I got. You would have thought they would have made a big point of that in the update notes if it was true. ????

·
294 Posts
Well, I think they don't have the interest or knowledge in doing that - less left to them the better, I feel. I keep trying to improve the simple steps to do it yourself - below. If I can do it, you can do it. You need a PC with the latest updater program, and a 64 GB USB drive (I use the small Ultra fit Sandisk ones - $10 at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VYCV37?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details). This process is designed for owners to do the update, so might as well get used to it! Be aware that your car will likely want to 'turn off' automatically while the update is running - must push the 'OK' button to reset the timer to 30 min....you can also turn the whole 30 minute timer 'feature' OFF if you want before you start this (I like to leave it on otherwise).
---------------
START HERE: Update.kia.com has the navigation updater tool download (get latest and download to your PC) and description of recent updates in the Notifications tab. (You can also check mapnsoft.com - it directed me back to update.kia.com. It also has other updates available under "Notifications" section - e.g., Audio Gen 1 'Audio Software Updates' - doesn't apply to the Seltos with navigation).

- NOTE: looks like the 'copy to USB' step below will do the USB format when you copy from your PC to the USB so this format step doesn't appear necessary to do separately.
○ (First format the "Seltos Maps" 64 GB USB - see FAQ | Official Kia Navigation Update Website (basically right click / Format / FAT32 / 32kilobytes / Quick) for formatting the USB instructions.)
  • Note: Seltos has a "Std-Class Gen 5W Nav" device;
  • Use the "Navigation Updater" program from update.kia.com - always get the latest version for each update!!
  • Run the "Navigation Updater" app on the PC with settings: portable storage = USB (this is what you will insert into the car later on for the update vs. SD card for older cars). Storage Location of Update File: Hard Disk - default download file goes in (on my PC) c:\users\first\downloads\NaU - ensure that is emptied first from the previous update.
  • After the download then insert the USB into the PC and use the "Navigation Updater" to format and copy the downloaded file to the 64 GB USB for use in car. 30-40 min to copy to the USB. Rename the USB if you want (right click/Properties). Eject the USB as usual for safety.
  • Turn off the "engine off in 30 min" setting in car if desired since this takes over an hour.
  • Disconnect Bluetooth on phones (although I forgot this last time, no problems) - then insert USB and then start the car - should prompt for to make the update automatically (else start it at Settings / General). (Choose "Immediate" if it gives you that option.) Took 75 minutes for 5/22 update. Ensure the car does not turn off!
  • Take pix of new SW and map versions (Settings / General) for records if you want.

·
294 Posts
See where it says 'Audio' to the left of the "Display Audio Software Update" in your screen shot in the last post? That is supposed to be a heads up it appears that that entry is an update only for those with regular radios, not those with Navigation like yours and mind - hence 'Navigation' to the left of the second item. So don't worry about the first one, only the second. It will work fine I bet - did for me. After the update you want to see the SW Version as shown in post #17 above, the link toward the bottom, namely: SP2.USA.55W_M.V008.001.220504. The key is the '220504' at the end - the May 4th 2022 update. Your screen shot above shows you have a very old version...maybe even before the purple haze icons, etc.... In any case, you should be able to go right to the current s/w with this update. Please let us know how it goes. Make sure you have a 64 GB USB drive to start with - the instructions still said 32 GB I believe...but I guess more maps and POIs etc..... DT

·
294 Posts
Great - yes, the radio screen has more information than the old one with the radio tubes, and you can organize the presets into a meaningful list. No sign of wireless Android auto etc, and I'm sure not holding my breath about that. Even the current top line Genesis models still have wired from what I saw in a review the other day. The purple is still all over the place as is the case with all of Hyundai and Kia products these days. I try to think of it as calming my wife down......

·
294 Posts
Kia giveth and Kia taketh away..... I will be satisfied as long as the transmission and engine hold up. I see the Seltos got dinged for those problems in a recent comparison list.

·
294 Posts
Nice going! Good to be updated. I have seen some local updates taken care of with mine and the update file is so much larger than it used to be that there must be good stuff in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts