Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just had Kia call me this morning to tell me they have to replace the transmission after my car has already been in the shop for two weeks. Has anyone else had this experience? Has your car been reliable after the transmission was replaced? I am worried this is going to be a yearly occurrence. Has anyone been able to get their car refunded with either the lemon law or a forced buyback by the dealer? I am worried that I will have a new car that I do not trust to start and shift gears correctly.

·
270 Posts
That sucks...I am sorry to hear that. However, you're getting a 'new' transmission and some kind of warranty, I'm sure, and I would hope for the best.

Can you tell us the symptoms that you were experiencing? Thx. DT

·
7 Posts
Hey everyone. I just had Kia call me this morning to tell me they have to replace the transmission after my car has already been in the shop for two weeks. Has anyone else had this experience? Has your car been reliable after the transmission was replaced? I am worried this is going to be a yearly occurrence. Has anyone been able to get their car refunded with either the lemon law or a forced buyback by the dealer? I am worried that I will have a new car that I do not trust to start and shift gears correctly.
I wouldn't be too worried about it - these things happen and doesn't seem to be a common occurence on these cars. I'm willing to bet the 1.6T+DCT powerplant is shared by a few of their cars. Just ensure that you are still covered until the 10yr / 100K and keep driving. Just keep your receipts in case issues arise after the warranty period is over.

·
53 Posts
I think you’ve just unfortunately got a bad one. These transmissions (and engine combo) have been around for 6+ years and have been used in many vehicles shared by Hyundai / Kia - and generally have not been problematic.

It sucks. But I wouldn’t worry about it. You’re getting new installed. And warranty.

·
5 Posts
I had the similar problem as yours. My car was revving in D gear when I was driving in a local street and I slowed down and pulled over to the shoulder of the street. And I noticed a reverse gear wasn't working as I tried to park correctly. So I drove it to the dealership in lower speed and it has been 7 weeks since i dropped the car. The dealer said mine has an issue with transmission module. But the part is in backorder. I had used a few of rental cars since I didn't know how long it would get it fixed but this week the dealership finally offered me a loaner car.
My car is turbo SX, has 10,000 miles, i've had it for 17 months. Too much stress and time consuming from this issue.

·
2 Posts
Just happened today. New 2021 EX in April, 17,000 Miles. Recently been revving erratically and fluctuating power when going uphill. Dealership said tranny was slipping and they are replacing it. Tranny should arrive in a few days or a couple weeks so they say.

·
7 Posts
Just happened today. New 2021 EX in April, 17,000 Miles. Recently been revving erratically and fluctuating power when going uphill. Dealership said tranny was slipping and they are replacing it. Tranny should arrive in a few days or a couple weeks so they say.
The EX uses a different powertrain - so not the same as the failure here.

·
2 Posts
I think you’ve just unfortunately got a bad one. These transmissions (and engine combo) have been around for 6+ years and have been used in many vehicles shared by Hyundai / Kia - and generally have not been problematic.

It sucks. But I wouldn’t worry about it. You’re getting new installed. And warranty.
That's OK, I'm generally satisfied with the Seltos, and the dealer gave me a loaner (2022 KIA Forte GT) while I wait for a transmission. 1-2 weeks hopefully.

·
11 Posts
I had the similar problem as yours. My car was revving in D gear when I was driving in a local street and I slowed down and pulled over to the shoulder of the street. And I noticed a reverse gear wasn't working as I tried to park correctly. So I drove it to the dealership in lower speed and it has been 7 weeks since i dropped the car. The dealer said mine has an issue with transmission module. But the part is in backorder. I had used a few of rental cars since I didn't know how long it would get it fixed but this week the dealership finally offered me a loaner car.
My car is turbo SX, has 10,000 miles, i've had it for 17 months. Too much stress and time consuming from this issue.
Just curious to know how long your wait was for this part and how is the tranny now? Totally agree that too much of my time has been spent on this. My Seltos SX turbo left me in a parking lot unable to move over 150 miles from my dealer. It's been 6 weeks and the transmission module is still on backorder. So angry. Second NEW car ever in my life (I'm called a senior) and it's in limbo. The dealer did give me a 2021 K5 base (kudos for them) and it is nice BUT I purchased the Seltos to go on unimproved roads; just the average county maintained roads. Can't do that with the K5 as there is not enough road clearance, so that is a big inconvenience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts