Kia Seltos Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

1 Posts
I purchased a new 2023 Seltos in the USA (Texas) in August. After signing all papers saying they gave me everything and there were no issues and paying in full they give me just 1 key saying there’s a chip shortage and the other key will come later. I still don’t have the key and there’s no ETA on when it will come per them. Is this happening to anyone else in USA?
Did you ever receive 2 key fob?

19 Posts
I purchased a new 2023 Seltos in the USA (Texas) in August. After signing all papers saying they gave me everything and there were no issues and paying in full they give me just 1 key saying there’s a chip shortage and the other key will come later. I still don’t have the key and there’s no ETA on when it will come per them. Is this happening to anyone else in USA?
I purchased a new 2023 Seltos SX in the USA (Indiana) in September but live in Southern Illinois and have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I checked with dealer just yesterday and he said "They haven't been released yet. I'll check on them Tuesday to see if they have an idea when they will be sent to the dealers." GOOD LUCK!!!

Seltos GT-line, (=SX), 2020 model, Mars Orange, 1.6L turbo, AWD
231 Posts
I'm rather staggered to learn of the extent of this problem. It does however tend to confirm one's suspicions that many of the other issues reported - virtually all in models 2020-2022 - might also be sheeted home to these 'electronic shortages'.

However, one thing is confusing me. I only have two remote wireless keys. There is no physical key attached, nor any keyhole it might be inserted into even if there was. Do some models retain a physical key lock for entry and keyed ignition switch as well..? Someone referred to their receiving a valet parking key, suggesting this is so. When y'all are referring to the 'fob', is that the remote wireless key..? And do models below your top two also get a physical key as well..?

19 Posts
When I purchased the 2023 Seltos SX, I was given one Key Fob with physical key inside and one physical key. Now I have the physical key for the key fob when it arrives. If you look at the bottom of the key fob (picture 1) there is a small indention and if you press it you can pull out the physical key. On the car, (picture 2) look UNDER the pushbutton of the handle and there is a small opening in which the key will fit. You press it in and you can take off a portion of the handle off and it exposes a place where the key is inserted. The picture shows my key fob and the indention to press and the extra key to put in the second key fob when it arrives. If you have further questions, let me know.

231 Posts
When I purchased the 2023 Seltos SX, I was given one Key Fob with physical key inside and one physical key. Now I have the physical key for the key fob when it arrives. If you look at the bottom of the key fob (picture 1) there is a small indention and if you press it you can pull out the physical key. On the car, (picture 2) look UNDER the pushbutton of the handle and there is a small opening in which the key will fit. You press it in and you can take off a portion of the handle off and it exposes a place where the key is inserted. The picture shows my key fob and the indention to press and the extra key to put in the second key fob when it arrives. If you have further questions, let me know.
View attachment 1678 View attachment 1679
Wow..! Who knew..? Now you've advised of this, I did find this in the manual, but without knowing it was possible, unless one read the manual cover to cover, you could well miss this info. It qualifies as a Rumsfeld. An 'unknown, unknown', in my view. Unless the dealer advised about it..? Mine obviously didn't.

As it was, although I found out how to extract the key from the fob, and I found the recess under the driver side door handle, I was unable to actually achieve the opening of that part of the handle, no matter what I did, so it would still have me stranded by the roadside, if the battery/fob failed on a dark night. Has anyone else managed to actually open their locked door in this manner. It is quite an important feature really. I imagine, as there is definitely no key slot in the car when it has the Start/Stop button, that once in via the key - if you can get in, that is - the button would then work and start the engine..?

PS. My door handles are in polished stainless steel, not the car colour paint. Should that matter..? I was concerned about the force apparently needed and the risk of scratching the handle or door.

· Super Moderator
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
430 Posts
Wow..! Who knew..? Now you've advised of this, I did find this in the manual, but without knowing it was possible, unless one read the manual cover to cover, you could well miss this info. It qualifies as a Rumsfeld. An 'unknown, unknown', in my view. Unless the dealer advised about it..? Mine obviously didn't.

As it was, although I found out how to extract the key from the fob, and I found the recess under the driver side door handle, I was unable to actually achieve the opening of that part of the handle, no matter what I did, so it would still have me stranded by the roadside, if the battery/fob failed on a dark night. Has anyone else managed to actually open their locked door in this manner. It is quite an important feature really. I imagine, as there is definitely no key slot in the car when it has the Start/Stop button, that once in via the key - if you can get in, that is - the button would then work and start the engine..?

PS. My door handles are in polished stainless steel, not the car colour paint. Should that matter..? I was concerned about the force apparently needed and the risk of scratching the handle or door.
As a point of reference, this is pretty much how all manufacturers do it nowadays. Any vehicle with pushbutton start and a Fob will have a recessed key in the Fob and a removable trim piece on the door handle.
Some have a regular key slot somewhere under steering column trim, but most can be started using your dead key Fob simply by using the Fob to push the start button. This also woks if your vehicle isn't detecting your Fob, just push the start button with the butt end of your Fob and it should re-pair to the vehicle.

231 Posts
As a point of reference, this is pretty much how all manufacturers do it nowadays. Any vehicle with pushbutton start and a Fob will have a recessed key in the Fob and a removable trim piece on the door handle.
Some have a regular key slot somewhere under steering column trim, but most can be started using your dead key Fob simply by using the Fob to push the start button. This also woks if your vehicle isn't detecting your Fob, just push the start button with the butt end of your Fob and it should re-pair to the vehicle.
Right, well, I better persevere with trying to get the cover off the driver door handle where the key is meant to go. Obviously this is quite important information that dealers should be advising buyers about, as it is far from intuitive or obvious. I had no such instruction, and had no idea there was a manual way to overcome a dead wireless fob. As far as I knew, the wireless fob was my only way of accessing and starting the car. Fortunately I did get two fobs immediately on taking delivery, so had a spare. Sounds like many currently do not. The info is buried in the part of the manual titled 'Features of your vehicle', which did not sound like an area where vital usage information would be found, but rather a sort of general overview. More fool me..? :confused:

231 Posts
Wow, thanks guys. That was very informative. I guess I have to raise my hand and admit that at my age - let's say I've seen off the 6th decade - I just really didn't consider that I should need to, or in fact could, access a whole lot of extra stuff about my car from the iNet, especially YouTube. Now I do, I won't be fooled again. Then again, this might well be my last new car...just sayin'...but thanks again, anyway. It's been a real eye-opener, and actually demonstrates beautifully the value of forums like this one. At least I did know to seek a forum out. I guess I should do - I'm a moderator on a large boating forum myself, based right there in the US, and have been for years..! ✅ 👍 😊

· Super Moderator
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
430 Posts
Right, well, I better persevere with trying to get the cover off the driver door handle where the key is meant to go. Obviously this is quite important information that dealers should be advising buyers about, as it is far from intuitive or obvious. I had no such instruction, and had no idea there was a manual way to overcome a dead wireless fob. As far as I knew, the wireless fob was my only way of accessing and starting the car. Fortunately I did get two fobs immediately on taking delivery, so had a spare. Sounds like many currently do not. The info is buried in the part of the manual titled 'Features of your vehicle', which did not sound like an area where vital usage information would be found, but rather a sort of general overview. More fool me..? :confused:
Interestingly enough, some manufacturers forego the aesthetic aspect and just put the damn keyhole out for all to see…which is probably better. Reference…our sister car the Kona.

9 Posts
Yes, on 12/8/2022 I bought a 2023 Seltos in California and was told KIA (not the KIA dealership) will send me the 2nd key later due to the chip shortage. The KIA dealership contacted me and requested that I complete a customer satisfaction survey. I inquired about the 2nd key and was told it can take up to 3 months to receive it. I will hold off on completing the survey until that 2nd key arrives.
I’m surprised they gave you a timeframe. My dealer says nobody knows.

9 Posts
I purchased a new 2023 Seltos SX in the USA (Indiana) in September but live in Southern Illinois and have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I checked with dealer just yesterday and he said "They haven't been released yet. I'll check on them Tuesday to see if they have an idea when they will be sent to the dealers." GOOD LUCK!!!
Please do keep us updated on what you find out. If anyone finally gets the second remote please let everyone else know so we can try to get ours too! Thanks!!!

19 Posts
I'm rather staggered to learn of the extent of this problem. It does however tend to confirm one's suspicions that many of the other issues reported - virtually all in models 2020-2022 - might also be sheeted home to these 'electronic shortages'.

However, one thing is confusing me. I only have two remote wireless keys. There is no physical key attached, nor any keyhole it might be inserted into even if there was. Do some models retain a physical key lock for entry and keyed ignition switch as well..? Someone referred to their receiving a valet parking key, suggesting this is so. When y'all are referring to the 'fob', is that the remote wireless key..? And do models below your top two also get a physical key as well..?
My dealer called me today and he said it came from the TOP that the missing key fobs will be distributed in the next 45 days. My dealer is in southern Indiana.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts