Kia Seltos Forum banner

No second key

16K views 111 replies 37 participants last post by  peter47 
#1 ·
I purchased a new 2023 Seltos in the USA (Texas) in August. After signing all papers saying they gave me everything and there were no issues and paying in full they give me just 1 key saying there’s a chip shortage and the other key will come later. I still don’t have the key and there’s no ETA on when it will come per them. Is this happening to anyone else in USA?

#47 ·
It's not on the dealer, the dealership can't be blamed, this is a Kia issue. I work at a dealership and I sold a couple cSeltos w only ne key and with a notice from Kia saying they would contact the customer directly when the 2nd key was ready. My customers are still waiting but how is that the dealership's fault? Why are you blaming the dealership?

#4 ·
No actually it was the same for my 23'. Though, they gave me the second 'key' just not the fob. So I got the traditional fob, which has the traditional key hidden inside, and then a second 'key'. As the original poster says, the '23 is being sent out with just one fob. No ETA on arrival.

@Newseltos2023 ... did you get the second 'key'? You ought to have I would suspect.

#5 ·
I had the same thing. 2023 SX Turbo. One key Fob and a Valet key. They said they're currently sending only one Fob because of the "Chip Shortage", and that I could expect the second Fob in a couple of months. I set Alexa to remind me to call and B*tch in 4 months.

I was told the Fob would be mailed directly to me, so I am ASSUMING it comes pre-programmed for my car, but I don't see that being correct. But I guess we'll see.

#9 ·
Just purchased 2023 SX (10/19/2022), and same exact thing...signed the papers and at the end they gave me only one FOB saying it is due to the CHIP shortage. Dealer said that they will contact me when they get the second one, but it will be a while. I am located in STL

#12 ·
It's not a con people. For fucks sake, it's a chip shortage. The alternative is to wait another six to twelve months for your car to arrive. Fords are being sold without the electronics for the heated seats, customers will get them when the chip shortage is addressed. The alternative was to halt production entirely, then you'd be bitching that your cars take 18 months to arrive. Be glad we've got the one FOB for now. Those poor Ford guys don't have tushie toasters this Winter.

#16 ·
For me the main issue is transparency. I actually would’ve picked a different model if I knew about the shortage because I may have to move out of country. When I asked them how I would sell the car with only one key and not even any documentation on a key owing, they said not to worry as they’d be happy to buy the car from me as they need used cars on their lot ...

#18 ·
I purchased a new 2023 Seltos in the USA (Texas) in August. After signing all papers saying they gave me everything and there were no issues and paying in full they give me just 1 key saying there’s a chip shortage and the other key will come later. I still don’t have the key and there’s no ETA on when it will come per them. Is this happening to anyone else in USA?
Same things are happening in India.

#20 ·
Yes, on 12/8/2022 I bought a 2023 Seltos in California and was told KIA (not the KIA dealership) will send me the 2nd key later due to the chip shortage. The KIA dealership contacted me and requested that I complete a customer satisfaction survey. I inquired about the 2nd key and was told it can take up to 3 months to receive it. I will hold off on completing the survey until that 2nd key arrives.

#21 ·
Did you ever receive 2 key fob?

#22 ·
I purchased a new 2023 Seltos SX in the USA (Indiana) in September but live in Southern Illinois and have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I checked with dealer just yesterday and he said "They haven't been released yet. I'll check on them Tuesday to see if they have an idea when they will be sent to the dealers." GOOD LUCK!!!

#23 ·
I'm rather staggered to learn of the extent of this problem. It does however tend to confirm one's suspicions that many of the other issues reported - virtually all in models 2020-2022 - might also be sheeted home to these 'electronic shortages'.

However, one thing is confusing me. I only have two remote wireless keys. There is no physical key attached, nor any keyhole it might be inserted into even if there was. Do some models retain a physical key lock for entry and keyed ignition switch as well..? Someone referred to their receiving a valet parking key, suggesting this is so. When y'all are referring to the 'fob', is that the remote wireless key..? And do models below your top two also get a physical key as well..?

#24 ·
When I purchased the 2023 Seltos SX, I was given one Key Fob with physical key inside and one physical key. Now I have the physical key for the key fob when it arrives. If you look at the bottom of the key fob (picture 1) there is a small indention and if you press it you can pull out the physical key. On the car, (picture 2) look UNDER the pushbutton of the handle and there is a small opening in which the key will fit. You press it in and you can take off a portion of the handle off and it exposes a place where the key is inserted. The picture shows my key fob and the indention to press and the extra key to put in the second key fob when it arrives. If you have further questions, let me know.

#25 · (Edited)
When I purchased the 2023 Seltos SX, I was given one Key Fob with physical key inside and one physical key. Now I have the physical key for the key fob when it arrives. If you look at the bottom of the key fob (picture 1) there is a small indention and if you press it you can pull out the physical key. On the car, (picture 2) look UNDER the pushbutton of the handle and there is a small opening in which the key will fit. You press it in and you can take off a portion of the handle off and it exposes a place where the key is inserted. The picture shows my key fob and the indention to press and the extra key to put in the second key fob when it arrives. If you have further questions, let me know.
View attachment 1678 View attachment 1679
Wow..! Who knew..? Now you've advised of this, I did find this in the manual, but without knowing it was possible, unless one read the manual cover to cover, you could well miss this info. It qualifies as a Rumsfeld. An 'unknown, unknown', in my view. Unless the dealer advised about it..? Mine obviously didn't.

As it was, although I found out how to extract the key from the fob, and I found the recess under the driver side door handle, I was unable to actually achieve the opening of that part of the handle, no matter what I did, so it would still have me stranded by the roadside, if the battery/fob failed on a dark night. Has anyone else managed to actually open their locked door in this manner. It is quite an important feature really. I imagine, as there is definitely no key slot in the car when it has the Start/Stop button, that once in via the key - if you can get in, that is - the button would then work and start the engine..?

PS. My door handles are in polished stainless steel, not the car colour paint. Should that matter..? I was concerned about the force apparently needed and the risk of scratching the handle or door.

#30 ·
Wow, thanks guys. That was very informative. I guess I have to raise my hand and admit that at my age - let's say I've seen off the 6th decade - I just really didn't consider that I should need to, or in fact could, access a whole lot of extra stuff about my car from the iNet, especially YouTube. Now I do, I won't be fooled again. Then again, this might well be my last new car...just sayin'...but thanks again, anyway. It's been a real eye-opener, and actually demonstrates beautifully the value of forums like this one. At least I did know to seek a forum out. I guess I should do - I'm a moderator on a large boating forum myself, based right there in the US, and have been for years..! ✅ 👍 😊

#42 ·
We also bought a 2023 seltos in August 2022 here in NC with only 1 fob and 2 keys I have been back and forth with the dealer and Kia America always same answer it will be shipped to you and when it comes in bring it to dealer to be programed. 5 months and still no fob. I've looked a new one up online it's over $300. If I have to go that route I'll be forcing dealership to reimburse me for it.