Kia Seltos Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
80 Posts
Here is what I found out today - not really happy with the Kia "UVO" call center. Kia blamed Mapnsoft, Mapnsfot blames Kia. A Kia supervisor finally called me back. The map software/updates (e.g., can't use 3 screens at once any more, the innane 'Radio' screen where the buttons are so small that only the Sirius channel numbers show, and the wide ugly purple 'home' screen with limited info) have been reported by not only Seltos users - this crap has gone out to several other models too! The supervisor was very sorry about it, etc., but he has to wait for the 'engineers' (he wasn't sure if they were Kia employees or contractors!) to get back to him about either a fix or if we have to wait for the next update (March?). Since the software updates may affect things in the car other than just maps and infotainment, they cannot be backed out, so you're stuck if you took the bait. Release NOtes, if the are any, should be found on the mapnsoft site, not update.kia.com. This is part of their "Map Care" program and free updates for Generation 4 and 5 systems should continue to be free as far as this supervisor knew. He is supposed to contact me when something happens with this topic and I'll report it here. Bottom Line - I told him there are a lot of pissed off people and "FIX IT!" - he wants to help.
FYI Note: if you have an embedded modem in your car (e.g., SX Turbo), a new app for your phone is coming out on 12/17.

·
Seltos GT 2020
1 Posts
I thought I would add my 2 cents to this discussion.

I had hoped that the latest firmware would've resolved an issue I have with profiles and the head up display. To my dismay it didn't and now I'm left with a home screen that can't be configured, a map on the home screen that I can't see (too dark), and worst of all I believe the sensors in my vehicle have become very sensitive to the point that I'm getting notified that I'm about to have a front on collision.

I have tried to address these issues with Kia Australia but they claim that they are at the mercy of the product team (whatever that means) and for some reason the product team just doesn't respond to them.

If you are reading this and are considering updating to the latest version, don't do it!

·
80 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry as it sounds like bigger impact for you than even us here in the states. I am really disappointed with Kia ( it's not just Seltos). Messing with the sensors is really dirty pool and I sure got the same impression - nobody knows who is responsible...

·
2021 SX Turbo, Neptune Blue
72 Posts
Here is what I found out today - not really happy with the Kia "UVO" call center. Kia blamed Mapnsoft, Mapnsfot blames Kia. A Kia supervisor finally called me back. The map software/updates (e.g., can't use 3 screens at once any more, the innane 'Radio' screen where the buttons are so small that only the Sirius channel numbers show, and the wide ugly purple 'home' screen with limited info) have been reported by not only Seltos users - this crap has gone out to several other models too! The supervisor was very sorry about it, etc., but he has to wait for the 'engineers' (he wasn't sure if they were Kia employees or contractors!) to get back to him about either a fix or if we have to wait for the next update (March?). Since the software updates may affect things in the car other than just maps and infotainment, they cannot be backed out, so you're stuck if you took the bait. Release NOtes, if the are any, should be found on the mapnsoft site, not update.kia.com. This is part of their "Map Care" program and free updates for Generation 4 and 5 systems should continue to be free as far as this supervisor knew. He is supposed to contact me when something happens with this topic and I'll report it here. Bottom Line - I told him there are a lot of pissed off people and "FIX IT!" - he wants to help.
FYI Note: if you have an embedded modem in your car (e.g., SX Turbo), a new app for your phone is coming out on 12/17.
Thanks for sharing all that info. KIA shouldn’t be blaming anyone or trying to pass the buck. We bought these vehicles from KIA and their badging is on the car. It doesn’t say much for them to not take responsibility or have better answers/solutions.

If I wanted to be bothered with more PIA crap in my life- I would just volunteer to work more hours at my job!

Do you know anything more about this new app for the SX? Is it replacing UVO?

·
80 Posts
Oh, the app I'm referring to is the "Kia Access" app available in the normal places. It is what allows you to remote start your car. I assume it works in conjunction with your UVO account and is only available on certain models apparently. You can lock and unlock your car and set speed limits if your kids are driving the car and see all the documentation. a new version of that app is coming out although the current one seems to work fine. I think we get like one year free of it here in the US. Then they soak you.

·
72 Posts
Oh, the app I'm referring to is the "Kia Access" app available in the normal places. It is what allows you to remote start your car. I assume it works in conjunction with your UVO account and is only available on certain models apparently. You can lock and unlock your car and set speed limits if your kids are driving the car and see all the documentation. a new version of that app is coming out although the current one seems to work fine. I think we get like one year free of it here in the US. Then they soak you.
:)

·
72 Posts
Oh yeah, that’s what I have been using- the KIA access app. I was misnaming it the UVO app...:). I have been using it to remote start my car- though I have had disappointing results in cold weather to actually heat my car. Maybe the new app will impress me more more that particular feature.

Only one year free is unacceptable IMO. My Fusion had a similar app and I never had to pay for it. Absolutely ridiculous for people who pay for the “luxury” Telluride SUV and then pay $25 /month for the feature. That fee is only going to irritate people and make them not want to buy another KIA above anything else. Somebody was money hungry rather than thinking about the customer. KIA does some weird things, but I suppose that’s how they justify their lower MSRPs on their vehicles. They just attempt to get money out of your pocket in other ways after you buy the car.

Either way, they got plenty of money out of me with my 4 year lease. This is unnecessary..

·
80 Posts

[SIZE=2]diggaoz[/SIZE]

Seltos GT 2020

I had hoped that the latest firmware would've resolved an issue I have with profiles and the head up display. To my dismay it didn't and now I'm left with a home screen that can't be configured, a map on the home screen that I can't see (too dark), and worst of all I believe the sensors in my vehicle have become very sensitive to the point that I'm getting notified that I'm about to have a front on collision.

----------------------------------------------
I did pass this info on via email to the supervisor I contacted yesterday...asked him to pass it as far up the line as he could! Diggaoz - regarding the dark map - you can double tap on that dark part of the map if I remember correctly, or press the physical Map button to see the map. It seems like all the piece parts of the system are there, just have to search for them and can't have 3 pieces of info on the home screen (max 2) since there is no "Edit Widgets" button on the home screen as you mentioned.....that's what we're seeing, anyway, here in the US.

Ever watch John Cadogen's Youtube reviews....?
He seems to have something against "Aaaus-tralllia" ("Shitsville") - cracks me up.

·
80 Posts
Humour indeed! He seems to know what he's talking about though. I listened to his three part series on the dual clutch transmissions in the Seltos SX (SX in the US anyway) - thought that was helpful.... I don't think it's a great transmission but to get some of the other stuff you have to get the SX here...

·
12 Posts
Humour indeed! He seems to know what he's talking about though.
I have written to John describing our issue.

Have you seen this one...

The truth about Mercedes-Benz ownership in Australia — Auto Expert by John Cadogan - save thousands on your next new car!

...a story not too dissimilar to ours.

I particularly like this quote...

Regardless of whether or not you think this stuff is trivial or non-core to the business of driving - as a consumer, if you pay for … I dunno … Rubber Dogshit Plus, and the company promises to supply Rubber Dogshit Plus, and one day you wake up and discover you’ve been downgraded (without consultation) to Rubber Dogshit Minus, you would have every right to feel unfairly treated.

·
80 Posts
The truth about Mercedes-Benz ownership in Australia — Auto Expert by John Cadogan - save thousands on your next new car!
Listened to it - Classic Cadogan. I did poke around a little to see if there was a way to contact him about our 'issue' yesterday as well, but didn't find anything obvious - glad you sent him something. "Townsville" - well, they have a Mercedes dealer! While this isn't a Mercedes, Cadogan said "It's a big spend for you!" and he's right about that. Hopefully, this doesn't keep going downhill in Kia Land.... Please let us know if you hear anything from him. I've listened to a lot of his videos and he has a generally good opinion of Kia/Hyundai cars and customer service from what I've heard.

·
80 Posts
Happened to be watching an Asian Petrolhead video about the Hyundai GV70... What caught my eye was the main (huge, bigger than Seltos') infotainment screen - attached is a quick screen shot I grabbed, and also a copy of the Seltos mainscreen from earlier in this discussion.... Look familiar? The reviewer didn't mention the main screen just showed how you can have like 4 screens or something of info on this one in the GV70. Maybe all the wasted space on the main screen is the direction this is going
GV70 Infotainment Main Page_Fotor.jpg
New Seltos Main Screen.jpg
?? At least they have a nicer picture in the GV70!

·
80 Posts
Emailed with a Canadian Kia dealer - he does lots of Kia videos that get down to some detail. I filled him in on what we're seeing. His response is below, and kind of jives with what we see in the GV70 picture above - maybe this is the wave of the future..... He said he would try to get more info on this from his angle.
-------------------------------------------
"So, for context, that's the interface that they're putting in the Kia K5. On the K5 a future update will allow wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. I wonder if the Seltos will be able to do that.

I can see how this is pretty polarizing for people though! If you bought your car with an interface that you like, moving to this would be quite the change. When I get the chance to talk to someone at head office, I'll see if there's an ability to switch to an alternate view, but I'm guessing that they won't have an answer.

This is very interesting to me. Thanks for sharing! I'll keep looking into things."

·
72 Posts
Hmm...

That would certainly be nice to have wireless Apple CarPlay/Android auto. Seems bizarre that it’s not already the standard for modern vehicles.

·
2021 Kia Seltos SX
10 Posts
Im kind of curious as to why there are 2 update sites, one is Kia themselves, the other is mapnsoft.
Is there a difference?

·
80 Posts
Im kind of curious as to why there are 2 update sites, one is Kia themselves, the other is mapnsoft.
Is there a difference?
It is confusing. When I bought my 2016 Soul + we only had the Mapnsoft site, and I did pay about $120 (?) for an update before that car was sold. Here's one of my responses earlier in this discussion after talking to Kia: "Release Notes, if the are any, should be found on the mapnsoft site, not update.kia.com. This (update.kia.com) is part of their "Map Care" program and free updates for Generation 4 and 5 systems should continue to be free as far as this supervisor knew." (Our Seltos' are "Std-Class Gen 5W Nav" devices.) When I first called Kia a couple weeks ago even that person was confused (not surprised...) and said to go to mapnsoft, but as an aside mentioned update.kia.com - I'm glad I looked there!

·
2021 Kia Seltos SX
10 Posts
It is confusing. When I bought my 2016 Soul + we only had the Mapnsoft site, and I did pay about $120 (?) for an update before that car was sold. Here's one of my responses earlier in this discussion after talking to Kia: "Release Notes, if the are any, should be found on the mapnsoft site, not update.kia.com. This (update.kia.com) is part of their "Map Care" program and free updates for Generation 4 and 5 systems should continue to be free as far as this supervisor knew." (Our Seltos' are "Std-Class Gen 5W Nav" devices.) When I first called Kia a couple weeks ago even that person was confused (not surprised...) and said to go to mapnsoft, but as an aside mentioned update.kia.com - I'm glad I looked there!
I wish they just offered the map updates, i dont need or want any other updates really, and i think this includes a lot of people. I havent tried updating, especially after all of the issues im seeing on here.

·
119 Posts
I wish they just offered the map updates, i dont need or want any other updates really, and i think this includes a lot of people. I havent tried updating, especially after all of the issues im seeing on here.
Thank you for the Kia update site. Didn't know it existed. At first glance it looks like it is just the navigation that is getting updated. Of course the prior screen shots of the display don't look too encouraging. Seltos is scheduled for 18K service next Tuesday. Perhaps some questions are in order before I authorize any updates.

·
80 Posts
Hopefully, Kia is in the middle of some wide-ranging change to the infotainment part of the cars, maybe resulting in wireless Android auto or other good things. However, it'd be nice if they communicated a little more. Or communicated at all! It just seems to me like the technology has reached a place where it's understandable by some engineer back in Korea or somewhere but is getting a little out of hand in terms of practical use for the end users.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts