Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Apple CarPlay for any serious navigation, but on occasion I want to do a quick route
to a local store or some other place without attaching my iPhone. With the previous built
in navigation, I swear I could say something like "Navigate to Home Depot" (or similar).

It would then give me a list and ask me to pick a number and then start to navigate there.
Very simple and worked great for my needs.

This didn't appear to be a standard command going by the manual, but I did it unconsciously
and it worked for me, never really thought about it. If I need an address, I'd use CarPlay and
Siri.

Now this is doesn't work at all and isn't supported/recognized.
Anybody else confirm this to try something like this? Or I'm just crazy...

Seltos GT-line, (=SX), 2020 model, Mars Orange, 1.6L turbo, AWD
224 Posts
I use Apple CarPlay for any serious navigation, but on occasion I want to do a quick route
to a local store or some other place without attaching my iPhone. With the previous built
in navigation, I swear I could say something like "Navigate to Home Depot" (or similar).

It would then give me a list and ask me to pick a number and then start to navigate there.
Very simple and worked great for my needs.

This didn't appear to be a standard command going by the manual, but I did it unconsciously
and it worked for me, never really thought about it. If I need an address, I'd use CarPlay and
Siri.

Now this is doesn't work at all and isn't supported/recognized.
To my knowledge, this voice command for nav has only worked via CarPlay, and activating Siri to take the action via Google or Apple maps. I don't think the built-in nav has ever had this function, but stand to be corrected. In your case, unless I'm wrong, and voice nav is now in the car software, (possible, as mine is a 2019 model), is it possible you just activated Siri to do this for you, not realising you had your CarPlay in play, as it were..?

2023 KIA Seltos SX
208 Posts
It does cause I used it two days ago. By voice. I didn't say 'home depot', I said 'navigate to [insert address here]'. It then, as OP suggests, gave me options of two addresses, which were ultimately the same (if I recall one didn't show the postal code), and then asked me to 'say' the number of the one I wanted. I tried selecting it with a finger but it didn't work, I had to say 'one'.

@smrtech ... I'll try Home Depot tomorrow and see what it does.

224 Posts
What do you do to bring up the voice command function in the native nav Shcs..? Just open nav and loudly command it - or is there a button that does it. If so, I don't have it, and it doesn't listen to me if I just try to voice command it. Maybe it's in the latest update, or is my model too old being Late 2019..? Hey Siri worked just this afternoon for the address of my dentist, but it accessed Apple Maps via CarPlay.

2023 EX
54 Posts
For my 2023 EX, the button is above the steering wheel volume up/down and to the left of the “mode” button. I need to play with it more but think I can hit that button and voice a Sirius station, NAV a route destination, or call someone.

50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does cause I used it two days ago. By voice. I didn't say 'home depot', I said 'navigate to [insert address here]'. It then, as OP suggests, gave me options of two addresses, which were ultimately the same (if I recall one didn't show the postal code), and then asked me to 'say' the number of the one I wanted. I tried selecting it with a finger but it didn't work, I had to say 'one'.

@smrtech ... I'll try Home Depot tomorrow and see what it does.
OK so I am not crazy, address or specific place/store, etc - do you have the Oct/Nov 2022 update in place?
Did the latest update remove this feature all together?

Hit the command button on steering wheel once and quick and then start with "Navigate to..." somewhere.

224 Posts
OK so I am not crazy, address or specific place/store, etc - do you have the Oct/Nov 2022 update in place?
Did the latest update remove this feature all together?

Hit the command button on steering wheel once and quick and then start with "Navigate to..." somewhere.
I thought that button was just to answer the phone on hands free. Well, buggame. It's been there all along. After owing the darned car for three years I'm still finding out stuff thanks to these forums, and I'm no luddite..! However, I have to admit, this is the first car I've owned that had so many different bells and whistles and tricks. I mean I learnt to drive in a car you had to put your arm out to signal a turn, and most of our local roads were gravel. A two lane only tar-sealed road was to me a super-highway. Sigh...those were the days...but hey, I'm enjoying the heck outta this car..! :D (y)

2023 KIA Seltos SX
208 Posts
With the previous built in navigation, I swear I could say something like "Navigate to Home Depot" (or similar).
Confirmed. 'Navigate to Home Depot' responded with four choices. Though, one and two were the closest Home Depot and three and four were the next closest. For some reason, I'm getting duplicate recommendations for each address.

I haven't confirmed this yet but have a suspicion advanced navigation results, like stores, are linked to KIAConnect. Can you confirm if you have an active subscription? Is it possible your subscription lapsed? This is strictly a suspicion, I don't know for certain if it's linked to KIAConnect at all. But considering they hid stuff like redlight camera's behind a paywall I wouldn't put it past them.

224 Posts
Confirmed. 'Navigate to Home Depot' responded with four choices. Though, one and two were the closest Home Depot and three and four were the next closest. For some reason, I'm getting duplicate recommendations for each address.

I haven't confirmed this yet but have a suspicion advanced navigation results, like stores, are linked to KIAConnect. Can you confirm if you have an active subscription? Is it possible your subscription lapsed? This is strictly a suspicion, I don't know for certain if it's linked to KIAConnect at all. But considering they hid stuff like redlight camera's behind a paywall I wouldn't put it past them.
Ok, well I certainly don't have Kia Connect, so can't wait to try and see if that button to the left of the mode button on the steering wheel gives me access to voice command over navigation. Watch this space, as they say...

224 Posts
Ok, well I certainly don't have Kia Connect, so can't wait to try and see if that button to the left of the mode button on the steering wheel gives me access to voice command over navigation. Watch this space, as they say...
Ok, no real surprise there. It does not work for me, which means probably it is Kia Connect dependent, which my model apparently does not support. Oh dear..how sad...never mind...it has all the other goodies, and doesn't have any funny rattles, squeaks, or weird behaviours, so I'm content to just tap on/out my desired destinations. :)

224 Posts
Thought you were a CarPlay guy primarily anyway. When CarPlay is active you ought to be able to use that same button on the steering wheel to initiate voice commands with Siri. Not an Apple guy so can't confirm myself.
Yes, it works via CarPlay, without having to even use that button, Siri pops up and activates a voice request. It just does not trigger in the native nav, and that button on the wheel does nothing. Not to worry. Doing it with screen touches before departure is no big deal. However rules out giving native nav instructions on the fly, that's all. But it's far safer to do it before departure anyway, and not on the move, as even with voice activation it still takes some screen touches to choose the route.

· Super Moderator
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
425 Posts
Yes, it works via CarPlay, without having to even use that button, Siri pops up and activates a voice request. It just does not trigger in the native nav, and that button on the wheel does nothing. Not to worry. Doing it with screen touches before departure is no big deal. However rules out giving native nav instructions on the fly, that's all. But it's far safer to do it before departure anyway, and not on the move, as even with voice activation it still takes some screen touches to choose the route.
If you push and hold the voice command button (top left beside the media button) with CarPlay active, it will initiate Siri.

224 Posts
If you push and hold the voice command button (top left beside the media button) with CarPlay active, it will initiate Siri.
View attachment 1688
Interesting. Does that then allow one to active and set the native built-in nav, or just the iPhone based mapping like Google or Apple maps..? Will try that next time I have the CarPlay active. I think when I tried it above, I did not have the phone present. Also, last time I voice activated nav I had selected the Apple map icon via the Media button next to Radio, under the screen, and Siri popped up without pressing any other button. Hmmmm....

224 Posts
Interesting. Does that then allow one to active and set the native built-in nav, or just the iPhone based mapping like Google or Apple maps..? Will try that next time I have the CarPlay active. I think when I tried it above, I did not have the phone present. Also, last time I voice activated nav I had selected the Apple map icon via the Media button next to Radio, under the screen, and Siri popped up without pressing any other button. Hmmmm....
Apparently not. It is just another way to access the iPhone GPS mapping, but it does work with that button described above, and triggers Siri no matter what screen mode yiou are in. It also activates Siri if you select Apple or Google maps icons that appear right of screen via the media button.

50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ahh, definitely could be. I bet you are right. My Kia Connect just expired. I guess I'd need the highest level to get this feature. I am just outside of my year of ownership. Thanks, I am 99% this is what is going on. I am on the default free subscription.

50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh, definitely could be. I bet you are right. My Kia Connect just expired. I guess I'd need the highest level to get this feature. I am just outside of my year of ownership. Thanks, I am 99% this is what is going on. I am on the default free subscription.

Anybody know what package level I'd need to get this feature back?

50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes this figures, I may try it for 1 month to prove it works then maybe switch to annual. Or invest in wireless CarPlay for apple and just live with that. Which would be a smarter investment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts