Kia Seltos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried to throw some oversized offroad tires on their Seltos, and if so...what fit?

About to pull the trigger on a new Seltos, and hoping I’ll be able to find some decent offroad tires.
Thanks!

·
14 Posts
Seltos is so new but I am sure aftermarket vendor will surely develop a kit like 2 inch block and rim/spring combo to accommodate taller tires like they do with Crosstrex. Seltos will look nicer with taller tires and offroad accessories and should do as good as Crosstrek on offroad.

·
87 Posts
Subaru owners are more likely to take their vehicles into more demanding situations. I don't think the CVT or DCT transmissions in the Seltos can handle anything more than a dirt road so I don't think much of an aftermarket will spring up for offroad type hardware.

·
14 Posts
Subaru owners are more likely to take their vehicles into more demanding situations. I don't think the CVT or DCT transmissions in the Seltos can handle anything more than a dirt road so I don't think much of an aftermarket will spring up for offroad type hardware.
dry DCT will have an issue on extreme conditions because it doesn't have any cooling method other than "air". but considering Crosstek is a popular off-roader with a CVT is a testament and I don't see any issue with Seltos tracking same path as the Crosstek and as capable of light duty off-roading. cross-shopped between the two and they both line up mechanically near identical. Seltos in general much better looking and drivability is noticeably better and modern interior layouts and functions.

·
87 Posts
Considering the Crosstrek isn't a Seltos, that's a big, tall assumption. Both Subaru and Kia pull throttle when in taxing situations. The performance of one doesn't need to track the other being that the same persons likely didn't design the powertrain control and traction control algorithms. Neither did the same person design the transmissions. It's pointless to make assumptions. I can definitely state that Kia has been putting automatics in more capable AWD offerings.

Back to the original question. What does the Sportage offroad aftermarket look like? It's been out for quite some time and how many lifted Sportages do you see? It clearly has a better transmission for offroad than the Seltos. How about the aftermarket for the Hyundai Kona CVT?

·
14 Posts
Back to the original question. What does the Sportage offroad aftermarket look like? It's been out for quite some time and how many lifted Sportages do you see? It clearly has a better transmission for offroad than the Seltos. How about the aftermarket for the Hyundai Kona CVT?
Sportage will be RAV4/CR-V/CX-5 category. there are millions of pictures online of compact CUVs with offroad setup including Sportages. hack you will even see Prius lifted with spring blocks.

in any case, Seltos vectoring with center-locking system function similarly to the Subaru symmetrical system. they are both full-time AWD system that modulate power split across all four wheels based on needs. vectoring system is preferred setup because of efficiency. Subaru/Toyota CVT is similar to that of the Kia IVT in design.

·
87 Posts
Yet, you failed to answer the question. What does the aftermarket look like? You could be looking butchered up vehicles with homebrew mods for all we know. Anybody can do anything with resolve but that is no indication of properly engineered aftermarket parts. Aftermarket isn't equivalent to findings parts to try and modding the vehicle yourself. The aftermarket is alternative parts engineered for an application.

Alot of these non-offroad vehicles are hacked up for appearance by adapting parts not made for them. Parts bin engineering isn't aftermarket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts