Kia Seltos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2021 Kia Seltos SX Turbo Lunar Orange
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Lunar Orange SX. We’ve had Xpel on our last couple of cars and trying to decide if we should have it on the Seltos. Looking for insight as to how prone the car is to rock chips and how strong the paint is. I know it depends a lot on driving conditions.
Also if anyone has had PPF installed especially on this color how did it turn out? Is it noticeable and can you see the seam if partial hood.
It’s pretty expensive and trying to decide if it’s worth it. I do take care of my cars and plan to keep this for 10+ years if it treats me well. This is my first Kia after years of VAG ownership.

·
87 Posts
Hyundais and Kias aren't known for thier paint durability. The quality and depth aren't there. I see some cars a couple of years old with paint coming off in chunks. Do what you feel you must to protect the finish.

·
2021 Kia Seltos SX Turbo Lunar Orange
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up getting Xpel done, 24” hood and fenders, bumper, all front lights, mirrors, A-Pillars, roofline, door cups and the shiny black strips under the doors on the SX. Have been doing it for the last few cars with good results so I thought might as well.
24” actually covers most of the hood since it’s fairly short.

The detailer I use, who is highly regarded and does a lot of work on high end cars, inspected the paint thoroughly and said he was actually very impressed with the quality. He even said that adding ceramic coating wasn’t necessary and it should hold up well if properly looked after. He’s always been honest with me and didn’t say the same about my wife’s VW.

·
Premium Member
2021 Seltos SX Starbright Yellow
7 Posts
My observations as a 69 year old obsessed with paint protection, waxes, sealants, etc. since age 12, and former owner of successful detail shops in California. I've never found any of the expensive "paint protection" packages sold by dealers and some detail shops to be worth much of anything. In my experience they typically provide less durable protection than any number of "do it yourself" products sold at Walmart, auto parts stores, and online. When I bought my SX, the dealer had a paint and fabric protection package on there for around a couple hundred bucks or a little more. The salesman went on with a pitch about the amazing protection offered by these products, and what a great deal they are and "complete peace of mind." I told him that's all smoke and mirrors that cost the dealer less than $25 and was applied in their shop in about an hour's time. I told him I wouldn't pay for it, and he didn't even balk. For the best protection stick with any of the brand names, and take your time applying the product per directions. Always be very careful around black trim as some products will stain it. After waxing go around the vehicle with a thin rag or microfiber towel and get the residue in all the seams around doors, trunk, hood, etc. If you really want to feel like you did something extra-special for your ride, check out the products at Griot's Garage, The Chemical Guys, or any of the other premium brand. Just don't fall for no brand name "miracle" products. They're almost hogwash. Believe it or not, for durability and shine, NuFinish at less than $10/bottle at Walmart is one of the best out there. The bad news though is it stains black and/or plastic trim. Final thoughts- many people think that a nice thick coat of wax gives the best protection. Untrue. All a thick application does is make it nearly impossible to remove. Nice thin coats is the way to go. Apply and remove a thin coat, then wait a week or so and repeat. The results will impress you. If you do that quarterly, at each change of seasons your paint will last and look great for decades. And very last thing- never ever use dish soap to wash your car. It cleans great, but it strips the wax off the finish. Always use a quality car wash specific soap. They're cheap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts