Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"A damaged engine may stall, increasing the risk of a crash. In addition, oil may leak onto hot exhaust components, increasing the risk of a fire."

Has there been discussed in a thread yet? Apparently recall to begin June 11. Only reason I found out is that my appointment for oil change/recall check was rescheduled out into June. They couldn't tell me why. Had to look it up.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCAK-21V259-3410.pdf

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Funny, my VIN does not come up in Google. I can only use it on the KIA Owner's Portal where it says, of course, no recalls. They don't want to spring the news on us yet apparently.

·
205 Posts
This post has a number of entries on this problem -

·
1 Posts
I had a Seltos purchase almost completed.....I was to go into the dealer and write a check when I thought...maybe I should check a Seltos forum to see if there are any big issues I should know about and I saw this Recall being discussed, so needless to say I backed out of the deal. That is all I need, to be driving down the road and have an engine burst into flames.

I am very sad that this issue came up because I loved everything about the Seltos....the size, the seats were very comfortable (have had back surgery so seats are very important), the mileage, the ride...it was going to be the perfect car for me. Well maybe they will have the piston ring issue fixed in the 2022 models.

Hopefully for those of you that already have one, the problem will not be too bad and they will get the bad ones repaired before there are any engine fires.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This post has a number of entries on this problem -
Thanks dougt, stupid me I was looking in the "Complaints, Issues..." etc discussions, not general. I see there is more info. I was at the dealer today for first oil change. They said they didn't have the capacity to do the service bulletins at the time (2 software updates) and claimed they knew nothing about a recall. I may need to go somewhere else because that was annoying. Has anyone received a notice yet? Or will they start contacting owners in June?

·
205 Posts
Right, my dealer said not to worry about anything regarding the engine recall problem until the letters start coming out in June - but it does seem to apply to the non-Turbo engine only. They didn't know anything about the engine recall either. However, my dealer notified me about two other recalls, SA452, SA454 and scheduled the time earlier in April. I could tell from my dash cam that these updates take only a few minutes once they get to it, so I don't understand the big hassle you are getting. I'm sure you could schedule a time....although it's a lot easier for me, being an old retired guy, to schedule this stuff! My dealer is pretty good about letting me take a loaner car for the day as well...

·
207 Posts
If I was really keen on the Seltos I would not let that recall deter me from buying one.I your car was manufactured after a certain date you will be okay.This came from another poster from a different post that has done his homework-"2021 model year Kia Seltos vehicles(21,849 units) manufactured from November 20, 2019 through October 15, 2020 equipped with 2.0L Nu MPI" .These are the units that are effected and the oil ring problem has been corrected after that latest date..Go back to your dealer and check the build date on the sticker on the driver's side door jamb.You may be okay and if so enjoy your ride!

·
207 Posts
I had a Seltos purchase almost completed.....I was to go into the dealer and write a check when I thought...maybe I should check a Seltos forum to see if there are any big issues I should know about and I saw this Recall being discussed, so needless to say I backed out of the deal. That is all I need, to be driving down the road and have an engine burst into flames.

I am very sad that this issue came up because I loved everything about the Seltos....the size, the seats were very comfortable (have had back surgery so seats are very important), the mileage, the ride...it was going to be the perfect car for me. Well maybe they will have the piston ring issue fixed in the 2022 models.

Hopefully for those of you that already have one, the problem will not be too bad and they will get the bad ones repaired before there are any engine fires.
If I were really keen on the Seltos I would not let that recall deter me from buying one.If your car was manufactured after a certain date you will be okay.This came from another poster from a different post that has done his homework-"2021 model year Kia Seltos vehicles(21,849 units) manufactured from November 20, 2019 through October 15, 2020 equipped with 2.0L Nu MPI" .These are the units that are effected and the oil ring problem has been corrected after that latest date..Go back to your dealer and check the build date on the sticker on the driver's side door jamb.You may be okay and if so enjoy your ride!

·
2007 Dodge Caliber
12 Posts
I wouldn't of let this back me out of the deal. Even Toyota recalls engines, in this case due to engine coolant leaks causing overheating and increasing the risk of engine fires.

The recall can be seen as a good thing, at least Kia is trying to correct an issue. Once you read the documents related to the Kia recall only vehicles manufactured from Nov 20, 2019 - Oct 15, 2020 are part of the recall, and it's estimated only 1% will actually have an issue.

Personally I'm waiting until the end of the year to see what happens with the Seltos. I want to see if the engine and transmission will hold up over time.

·
207 Posts
I wouldn't of let this back me out of the deal. Even Toyota recalls engines, in this case due to engine coolant leaks causing overheating and increasing the risk of engine fires.

The recall can be seen as a good thing, at least Kia is trying to correct an issue. Once you read the documents related to the Kia recall only vehicles manufactured from Nov 20, 2019 - Oct 15, 2020 are part of the recall, and it's estimated only 1% will actually have an issue.

Personally I'm waiting until the end of the year to see what happens with the Seltos. I want to see if the engine and transmission will hold up over time.
Sure it will hold up!It's been holding up in the Soul for years so why not the Seltos.They did not build a new engine and tranny specifically for the Seltos.

·
2007 Dodge Caliber
12 Posts
The soul forum tells a different story with the IVT, failures at low mileage in the 20/21 models. I personally don't have an issue with CVTs, I drive a Dodge Caliber with a JATCO CVT. I'm the 3rd owner but the transmission has been solid for 90,000km since I bought it, I'm now at 191k.

The only issue with forums, people are more likely to post when they have issues rather than when everything is working as intended. So the IVT issue could be blown out of proportion as well.

·
207 Posts
When you look at the pic of the engine in the above link you can tell it is not a Canadian car.It has hood shocks that no model in Canada has plus the black plastic cover that covers the strut mount bolts/studs on both sides is not Canadian either.Our are exposed.

·
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
234 Posts
When you look at the pic of the engine in the above link you can tell it is not a Canadian car.It has hood shocks that no model in Canada has plus the black plastic cover that covers the strut mount bolts/studs on both sides is not Canadian either.Our are exposed.
it is as that's a photo of the 2.0L engine of the Kia Soul 😀

1 - 20 of 22 Posts