Kia Seltos Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
11 Posts
Hey everyone!

If you seen my post in the new members section, I'm about to make it official in getting a '21 Seltos SX w/ 8k miles on it. Its not official yet, haven't signed a purchase agreement on it yet... But after seeing the posts on here about the transmission and electronics issues with these, I'm starting to reconsider.

So I am asking everyone their consensus:
*Are you happy with the Seltos?
---OR---
*Do you hate it & wish you'd bought something else instead???

This is ultimately gonna be the make or break decision on my getting this truck or not... I know the general ratings on the Seltos are pretty good all around. And the extremely low milage and the factory warranty are the main reasons I'm considering getting it - outside of how a lot of what and how the Seltos is is the whole reason I'm looking for an SUV like this in the first place...

So fellow Seltos owners, WHAT'S YOUR VERDICT??? Are you glad you got it, or should I keep looking for something else while I still can???

Thanks in advance!
J
6 Months ago I would have said I am more than happy with my 2021 Seltos SX Turbo. But in early March I was left stranded by a faulty transmission about 80 miles from my dealership. Kia towed it there and it is still there waiting on parts and they cannot determine if the part they are waiting on will rectify the problem (it went into limp mode). Kia has been awesome! We waited a couple days to request a loaner until they could determine if they could repair it quickly. I was first given a 2021 K5 base. Loved it BUT because of the lack of road clearance I had to keep it in town and could not use it to travel to our unimproved land we are building on. Gas mileage was unbelievable! I was getting almost 500 miles to a tank of gas and since I drive 25 miles one way to work it was a money saver. But then I needed to travel. Upon contacting Kia, they agreed to give us a different loaner. I have a 2022 Sportage SX top of the line. I have mixed feelings on it as it feels way heavier to drive than my Seltos; not near as sporty feeling. I have only driven in town but plan on traveling with it this weekend. Love the response of the transmission.
I think the transmission in the Seltos may have been acting up before the limp mode kicked in. Because I drive it so much I don't think I would have noticed a slight change in it's performance until it failed. Thinking back on it, I would say that is what happened. I have never liked the transmission in the Seltos. It has such a hesitation on take off that it makes it dangerous to try and turn across cross traffic. I would have to change modes to Sport to have any pep in taking off. Lots of little things on the tranny. Maybe I just have a lemon but we are seriously considering trading it in for the Sportage I am currently driving. If I could have everything but the transmission in the Seltos, I would be perfectly happy. First time ever driving with a DCT and feel it is a transmission that needs to go back to the drawing board to fix some of its issues. On a positive note, Kia's warranty is awesome so any future issues with the tranny will be covered until I reach the magical 5 years. On a side note, I never got to drive a Seltos before the purchase. If I could've done that, I may not have purchased it.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
148 Posts
Bernie,
You may want to see the 2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo review by Savagegeese on YouTube. Their review in my opinion was spot-on. He mentions the Dual Clutch transmission issue and he recommends to try to get "Used to it". I agree with you about KIA needs to redesign the Dual clutch or get rid of it. I have 33,000 miles and it doesn't give me any issues and quite comfortable with driving it. I still really like my car and love how it handles.

·
99 Posts
Bernie,
You may want to see the 2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo review by Savagegeese on YouTube. Their review in my opinion was spot-on. He mentions the Dual Clutch transmission issue and he recommends to try to get "Used to it". I agree with you about KIA needs to redesign the Dual clutch or get rid of it. I have 33,000 miles and it doesn't give me any issues and quite comfortable with driving it. I still really like my car and love how it handles.
Same here, got 30,800 on mine without a hick up. DCT are different than a standard type or CVT in the lower models. Doesn't like bumper to bumper traffic though...

21 - 23 of 23 Posts