Kia Seltos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone hardwired an RD or Dashcam? I’m gonna be pulling panels shortly to wire up my Uniden R7 and would love it if anyone has any points to make with the fuse box and panels going up to the rear view mirror. Not my first install I’ve done but I’ve never had a Kia - anything to watch out for other than the usual (airbags, etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
34 Posts
Has anyone hardwired an RD or Dashcam? I’m gonna be pulling panels shortly to wire up my Uniden R7 and would love it if anyone has any points to make with the fuse box and panels going up to the rear view mirror. Not my first install I’ve done but I’ve never had a Kia - anything to watch out for other than the usual (airbags, etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi. Curious as to why you'd want to hard wire in a Dashcam? I have a Navman one that runs off of the 12v plug in great.
I'm thinking that doing that would be considered a modification and negate the warranty by messing with the electronics/wiring.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Curious as to why you'd want to hard wire in a Dashcam? I have a Navman one that runs off of the 12v plug in great.
I'm thinking that doing that would be considered a modification and negate the warranty by messing with the electronics/wiring.
I always check with the dealer. And I only lease cars - I’ve done audio mods in my previous vehicles (DSPs, Sub boxes), and always a dashcam and radar detector. Every dealer I’ve worked with so far has the rule of “as long as it’s out when it’s back and nothing is broken or drilled into”.

My old Ford dealership was even more lenient - they said that any holes have to be hidden.

For Dashcams and RDs in the front, it only takes a fuse tap and running wire up to the rear view. In the Seltos with Bose, I’m not playing with audio as it would require pulling off wire sheathing on the Bose amp/processor under the passenger seat - unless there’s an aftermarket harness adapter that I’m not aware of, but it doesn’t exist AFAIK. But windshield mounted devices that just need power are no sweat.

I hate exposed wires hanging all over my dashboard and taking up 12v sockets. Fuse taps are easy to install/uninstall. I bring cars in for service, no one ever minds. As it doesn’t involve any actual wiring or harness modifications, there’s nothing to be concerned about regarding warranty.

·
34 Posts
I always check with the dealer. And I only lease cars - I’ve done audio mods in my previous vehicles (DSPs, Sub boxes), and always a dashcam and radar detector. Every dealer I’ve worked with so far has the rule of “as long as it’s out when it’s back and nothing is broken or drilled into”.

My old Ford dealership was even more lenient - they said that any holes have to be hidden.

For Dashcams and RDs in the front, it only takes a fuse tap and running wire up to the rear view. In the Seltos with Bose, I’m not playing with audio as it would require pulling off wire sheathing on the Bose amp/processor under the passenger seat - unless there’s an aftermarket harness adapter that I’m not aware of, but it doesn’t exist AFAIK. But windshield mounted devices that just need power are no sweat.

I hate exposed wires hanging all over my dashboard and taking up 12v sockets. Fuse taps are easy to install/uninstall. I bring cars in for service, no one ever minds. As it doesn’t involve any actual wiring or harness modifications, there’s nothing to be concerned about regarding warranty.
Oh ok. I think im getting the picture that elsewhere, other than here in OZ, that you guys are not hit as hard as we are here on warranty issues.
That's good and wish we were treated as easy. Here the dealers look for anything to knock us back even though what we may do is reasonable and can be considered no real modification. I had a car, not a Kia, and when in a dealer here heard them talking to the mechanics and service personal, saying what they could do to get the issue voided that what I heard was a known issue with the same car I had, rejected. Mine had the same issue but I had all the info that it was known by the maker. It was fixed. Mine was under warranty as I believe was the other person but would have cost $2000, the person I listened in on had to pay it. They are ruthless here in OZ and why I always say watch out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts