Kia Seltos Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
117 Posts
The McGyver fix should help...I think they did for me. Use a heavy tape like gorilla tape where the back seat latches. Actually, with this little fix this Seltos has been about the most quiet car I've had so far, thankfully...

·
6 Posts
Thanks Doug. It still galls me that I should have to 'repair' a noise while the vehicle is still under bumper to bumper warranty. But I do love the car - it seems I'm discovering new things about it every week.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi - new member. I've had my 21 Seltos since last June. I too started noticing the rattling/banging noise from the back area myself. It happens on any road condition and under any speed. I took it in to the dealer and when I got back, I was told it was the winter tires I had on the vehicle. I snickered and said that, no, it was not a tire/road noise. The service manager came out and agreed to go for a ride with me. Of course the noise never appeared - at first - but when it did, the service manager said it was inherent with this model of Kia. He indicated that he drives the same model and has the same noise. WTF? You know of the issue and you won't fix it? Nope, not until it is recognized by Kia and they come out with a fix. WTF?? Obviously Kia knows about it.
It is such an aggravating nuisance and I can only turn the stereo up so loud before my wife complains. There is no way this should be a problem on a new car. A few years on our hometown potholes they call roads, yeah, but not a new vehicle. I will try a couple of the McGyver fixes but really, should we have to?
Hi. Dealers huh!
My rear hatch door one came back intermittently so I experimented with a few tapes and stuff.
I put this on trying it out, looks sloppy but I was just experimenting, so far 6 weeks on not a knock. I think the softer medical cloth tape (elastoplast is the one there) allows for the ridges you see to press more into it and get a bite. But I put the smooth duct tape strip on it so that the rubber doesn't quickly wear away the cloth tape which I expect it would opening and closing. The other tape allows it to more smoothly contact but still get that good grip/bite in. It seems to be that particular noise is more about sideways movement than in out. I could wind out the two rubber stops each side so that you needed to almost slam the hatch shut yet the noise persisted. That tape solution shut it up instantly, even on the dirt roads I take now n then fishing, not a noise. Remember this pic is of the test one which is still working spot on.

·
6 Posts
Hey Jon - thanks for the response. Do you have any pictures of the final fix? Any pics a little further away so I can get my bearings on what you applied the tape to?

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey Jon - thanks for the response. Do you have any pictures of the final fix? Any pics a little further away so I can get my bearings on what you applied the tape to?
Hi. These..... but no im lazy and am just happy its completely shut up by it now. Ill do something when that needs replacing. On both sides.
You want this...

To mate with this...

When I first got this Seltos and after a few fishing trips I noticed that both had dust on them, neither touched or held. They now do and are dead quiet apart from when I go over some real uneven parts of the track and get one or two flex knock noises. But thats typical for a hatch back in that type of situation. Road and normal track knocks are gone completely.
See ya, im going fishing 🎣

·
117 Posts
The other place that seems to be valid to reduce noise, according to the Kia tech that visits these forums, and also my local Kia tech, is on the latch where the rear seats fold back to their upright position. I've used heavy Gorilla tape on that and I think it helped also... The seat is in upright position here so you can't see the tape, but that's where the tape goes, across the whole horizontal section of that latch

·
6 Posts
The other place that seems to be valid to reduce noise, according to the Kia tech that visits these forums, and also my local Kia tech, is on the latch where the rear seats fold back to their upright position. I've used heavy Gorilla tape on that and I think it helped also... The seat is in upright position here so you can't see the tape, but that's where the tape goes, across the whole horizontal section of that latch

View attachment 837
Thanks for the picture Doug. I'll have to explore it some more. The noise does come from the seat it seems. If this is the only issue with my vehicle, I'll have to learn to live with it until Kia decides to do something about it because I do like my Seltos.

·
117 Posts
Of the last 3 new cars over the last couple of years, this SX Turbo is the quietest - so I would try the tape in these places. I'm very pleasantly surprised by the lack of rattles, buzzes, etc. If you want a depressing short video - see entry #11 above for what my 2020 Santa Fe was doing - was never fixed, turned it in for this Seltos!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts