Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2021 Kia Seltos S Awd 1.6 turbo
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im looking to get some cross bars for my Seltos...has anyone purchased these and where from? Im looking for some that look great and dont stick out on the sides...so i can keep the round body line look! Any info or recommendation would be nice..or pics! Thanks have a blessed day

·
2021 Kia Seltos S Model - Mars orange
33 Posts
Hey im looking to get some cross bars for my Seltos...has anyone purchased these and where from? Im looking for some that look great and dont stick out on the sides...so i can keep the round body line look! Any info or recommendation would be nice..or pics! Thanks have a blessed day
I just installed the Factory ones yesterday, since the dealership failed to install them with my purchase (was included with the car). Took me about 1 hour to install, only because I never messed with them before.

They don’t make any wind noise since they are aerodynamic & I am going to install an led light when it arrives in the next few days.

I’ll post some pics below

·
33 Posts
Just bought these today. Let's see what happens....
A bit of advise that I didn’t see on the instructions: you’ll come to a point to where you have to “push a button” in order to expand the links of the crossbars, The button is actually the screw and before you can push it in, you have to unscrew it about halfway out with the Allen wrench provided. You’ll end up doing this on all four ends to make it even. The trick is have the other end and already screwed down (mounted temporarily) while you pull on the other side to expand the length and vice versa.

Another issue, it states that one crossbar #1 is longer than the other and that is the one that goes in the front of the car, but if you measure them they’re exactly the same. The actual crossbars are labeled #1 & #2. It’s not obvious to find but you can find it written on the far right side underneath the crossbars (close to edge, inside the little square area). The problem is it’s black raised print, on top of black plastic.

Last advise: it is difficult to pry out the little circles from your existing roof rails where they mount too. Make sure you use painters tape or something right over where you’ll be prying up to protect the area, because you will scratch & ding it. They suggest you use 2 screwdrivers, but I found it easier to use jewelers screwdriver on one side and pry it up, then slide a coin (Quarter) on that side & While holding the quarter jammed in there start using the screwdriver to pop up the other side, this caused the least damage.

Hope this information helps, if you have any questions let me know.

Blake

·
2021 sx turbo
6 Posts
A bit of advise that I didn’t see on the instructions: you’ll come to a point to where you have to “push a button” in order to expand the links of the crossbars, The button is actually the screw and before you can push it in, you have to unscrew it about halfway out with the Allen wrench provided. You’ll end up doing this on all four ends to make it even. The trick is have the other end and already screwed down (mounted temporarily) while you pull on the other side to expand the length and vice versa.

Another issue, it states that one crossbar #1 is longer than the other and that is the one that goes in the front of the car, but if you measure them they’re exactly the same. The actual crossbars are labeled #1 & #2. It’s not obvious to find but you can find it written on the far right side underneath the crossbars (close to edge, inside the little square area). The problem is it’s black raised print, on top of black plastic.

Last advise: it is difficult to pry out the little circles from your existing roof rails where they mount too. Make sure you use painters tape or something right over where you’ll be prying up to protect the area, because you will scratch & ding it. They suggest you use 2 screwdrivers, but I found it easier to use jewelers screwdriver on one side and pry it up, then slide a coin (Quarter) on that side & While holding the quarter jammed in there start using the screwdriver to pop up the other side, this caused the least damage.

Blake
Thank you so much!! I will report back in a few weeks when they come in and I have time to install

My seltos is a lease so I def don't want to damage the paint, etc.

Thanks again!

·
3 Posts
Dealer only at this time. I was quoted $500.00 ouch!!!!

·
144 Posts
Installed the cross bars this weekend. Factory parts that were in stock. Likely an option that people aren't having installed at dealer? Very easy to install - agree that the length seems to be the same & the "release button" was tricky at first. All in all look great and no noticeable road noise.

Either way here are a few photos. Next step will be cargo rack and awning.

IMG_4939.JPG IMG_4940.JPG

·
9 Posts

Blake
I bought these same ones. I can't begin to see how all the small parts fit together and in which order. Do you have any advice?

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im sorry i should have updated this...but after i got my turtle racks i loved the quality and they feel like the re made good but never got it to fit my seltos! I tried a bunch of different times and even after talking with the seller couldnt get them to mount flush so no water would get into my stock rail holes! I had to return them!:( so i purchased the Kia brand name ones and love them!! They are perfect and fit great...they cost alot more but u get what u pay for!! Im so glad i paid the extra loot and got the name brand one! Good luck..they seller at turtle said i didn't have a piece i needed then said he was going make me smaller mounts! Crazy ...he tried but i just think they are not made foe the Seltos side rails....made for a skinnier rail system so they mount flush and seal the holes off right! Sorry again for not reporting this sooner on here..maybe they do work but id steer clear of tuttle for Seltos..

·
33 Posts
the 1st image shows the best inside view (before you put the cover on). When I added the light bar, it was too long to add the cover/cap with lock on, so I just left one off. Hope this helps. Post specific issues & I’ll try to give advice. It’s been about 6 months since I installed mine but sure I can answer most questions.

·
9 Posts
the 1st image shows the best inside view (before you put the cover on). When I added the light bar, it was too long to add the cover/cap with lock on, so I just left one off. Hope this helps. Post specific issues & I’ll try to give advice. It’s been about 6 months since I installed mine but sure I can answer most questions.
Thank you! Somehow I missed this. I just posted a new topic. I figured out how they go together but just discovered that they're too short. From hole to hole in the rails, it's 41" but the crossbar only measures 37" wide from screw hole to screw hole. I then thought maybe they were adjustable so I unscrewed that screw shown your photo (allen bolt) and now it won't go back in.

Which ones did you order? Mine doesn't say Kia. This is what I got. They look nearly identical to yours.

·
33 Posts
Thank you! Somehow I missed this. I just posted a new topic. I figured out how they go together but just discovered that they're too short. From hole to hole in the rails, it's 41" but the crossbar only measures 37" wide from screw hole to screw hole. I then thought maybe they were adjustable so I unscrewed that screw shown your photo (allen bolt) and now it won't go back in.

Which ones did you order? Mine doesn't say Kia. This is what I got. They look nearly identical to yours.
I have the OEM Kia ones, I will post an image of the label on the box. Also, I am going to repost what said 6 months ago in “detail” below but to Summarize it: both bars are labeled either number 1 or number 2 (small print). The #1 goes int the front of the #2 goes in the back, both can expand but you must loosen the screen (which is also the button to push in - in order to slide them out to be longer).

Here is more “Detail” from my old post:

Another issue, it states that one crossbar #1 is longer than the other and that is the one that goes in the front of the car, but if you measure them they’re exactly the same. The actual crossbars are labeled #1 & #2. It’s not obvious to find but you can find it written on the far right side underneath the crossbars (close to edge, inside the little square area). The problem is it’s black raised print, on top of black plastic.”

will post image of brand of crossbars:

Blake

·
9 Posts
Thank you. Your explanation does make a bit more sense. We're having a heatwave and my patience is wearing thin with the Ebay guy who simply will not explain anything to me. He claims the bars are different lengths. I sent him the photo I'm attaching here.

He does claim they are extendable but won't say how to do it. My bars are different than yours. Do you think the allen bolt facing forward at the top left in my photo is the one you're talking about that extends the bar? I can tell there's some kind of spring inside there because I did unscrew one out of curiosity but could not screw it back in. It's behaving as if the hole is too loose for the threads.

I do not have 1 and 2 anywhere on the bars. The only thing is a directional arrow pointing forward and "HR" on both bars. I also have this thing that says "tighten" with a circular arrow. But there's no hole beneath there. It's just an empty hole that says "tighten."

Honestly this should just be so easy has become too complicated.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These are they same ones i have too! The name brand OEM joints! Love them...worth the money! Both my bars were the same length too...u have to back out the alen bolt so u have some play in it then push on the bolt area it will extend...then tighten the bolt back up to keep it in place! I think the front bar is like 4 clicks on each side and the back bar is 2 clicks on each side...this makes the bars longer and shorter ....once u slide the covers back on the bars look different lengths but they are not! The lil pictures just mess u up dont pay attention to them...keep trying at it took me a while to figure it out too! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts