Kia Seltos Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

2021 Kia Seltos S Model - Mars orange
35 Posts
Thank you. Your explanation does make a bit more sense. We're having a heatwave and my patience is wearing thin with the Ebay guy who simply will not explain anything to me. He claims the bars are different lengths. I sent him the photo I'm attaching here.

He does claim they are extendable but won't say how to do it. My bars are different than yours. Do you think the allen bolt facing forward at the top left in my photo is the one you're talking about that extends the bar? I can tell there's some kind of spring inside there because I did unscrew one out of curiosity but could not screw it back in. It's behaving as if the hole is too loose for the threads.

I do not have 1 and 2 anywhere on the bars. The only thing is a directional arrow pointing forward and "HR" on both bars. I also have this thing that says "tighten" with a circular arrow. But there's no hole beneath there. It's just an empty hole that says "tighten."

Honestly this should just be so easy has become too complicated.

View attachment 922 View attachment 923
Mjiggalam post is dead on! That is the correct bolt, just “barely” loosen all 4 bolts (all 4 ends). It is like a spring & I guess you unscrewed it too far. The idea is to loosen all 4 @ put one crossbar on the top of the car on one side and go to the other side & pull on the other side to extend it. Basically extend it “beyond” the distance, push it back to lock it in & then tighten both Allen bolts. My only concern is the one screw you cannot put back in. I would focus on the crossbar that the screws/bolts are in place still, just so you can figure out how it operates to extend.

Blake

2 Posts
A bit of advise that I didn’t see on the instructions: you’ll come to a point to where you have to “push a button” in order to expand the links of the crossbars, The button is actually the screw and before you can push it in, you have to unscrew it about halfway out with the Allen wrench provided. You’ll end up doing this on all four ends to make it even. The trick is have the other end and already screwed down (mounted temporarily) while you pull on the other side to expand the length and vice versa.

Another issue, it states that one crossbar #1 is longer than the other and that is the one that goes in the front of the car, but if you measure them they’re exactly the same. The actual crossbars are labeled #1 & #2. It’s not obvious to find but you can find it written on the far right side underneath the crossbars (close to edge, inside the little square area). The problem is it’s black raised print, on top of black plastic.

Last advise: it is difficult to pry out the little circles from your existing roof rails where they mount too. Make sure you use painters tape or something right over where you’ll be prying up to protect the area, because you will scratch & ding it. They suggest you use 2 screwdrivers, but I found it easier to use jewelers screwdriver on one side and pry it up, then slide a coin (Quarter) on that side & While holding the quarter jammed in there start using the screwdriver to pop up the other side, this caused the least damage.

Hope this information helps, if you have any questions let me know.

Blake
Thanks Blake, extremely helpful. Thought I was crazy when trying to push the button that was not there. Not the best installation instructions from Kia. Now have them both installed. Much appreciated.

JZ

24 Posts
Ok everyone I have a questiin. Got myself some crossbars to be able to carry my surfboards. These are the kind you clamp on the rails.
Someboy posted that the roof rails are jist a decoratove piece and they will fail under pressure. That the bolted ones are the ones that will work.
My question is are those rails really a decorative piece and Im risting the surfboards to fly away midtrip?

1 Posts
I just installed the Factory ones yesterday, since the dealership failed to install them with my purchase (was included with the car). Took me about 1 hour to install, only because I never messed with them before.

They don’t make any wind noise since they are aerodynamic & I am going to install an led light when it arrives in the next few days.

I’ll post some pics below
I was wondering if you remember what was included in the OEM roof cross bars when you installed it. I'm trying to purchase the OEM bars second hand and want to make sure I don't miss anything for installation.

2 Posts
I just installed the Factory ones yesterday, since the dealership failed to install them with my purchase (was included with the car). Took me about 1 hour to install, only because I never messed with them before. They don’t make any wind noise since they are aerodynamic & I am going to install an led light when it arrives in the next few days. I’ll post some pics below
I lost the instructions that came with the crossbars, would you be able to direct me to a link or photos of yours? They’ve been sitting for 2 years and I am finally getting around to installation!

2 Posts
can anybody tell me what is under the plugs on the roof rails? is it a stud or a threaded hole? also, what size is it? i want to install some screw eyes to use as tie downs. i find it so odd that the roof rails are solid, i.e. unable to slip a strap underneath.

192 Posts
can anybody tell me what is under the plugs on the roof rails? is it a stud or a threaded hole? also, what size is it? i want to install some screw eyes to use as tie downs. i find it so odd that the roof rails are solid, i.e. unable to slip a strap underneath.
On the 2021 Seltos, there are studs beneath the plugs. Will be happy to attach a picture if you'd like.

2 Posts
I just installed the Factory ones yesterday, since the dealership failed to install them with my purchase (was included with the car). Took me about 1 hour to install, only because I never messed with them before.

They don’t make any wind noise since they are aerodynamic & I am going to install an led light when it arrives in the next few days.

I’ll post some pics below
I lost my instructions for the installation, would you be able to let me know where I can get a copy?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts