Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first i was planning to ask if anyone else experienced my problem, but now I think I would consider my post to be a warning. I have had my 2023 Kia Seltos EX for about one month. The first week we had it, we were driving 100 km/hr (60 miles/hr) down the highway when suddenly loud beeps started going off, and a the car slowed way down even though there were no vehicles in front of us. If there had been an 18-wheeler behind us, we would have been a goner. We were so cautious afterwards and it appeared to be an isolated incident. Until it wasn't. The same thing happened last night, and again, no vehicles ahead. I googled, "collision warning random" and amazed how often this happens, not just with Kias, but many vehicles. I am going to turn this feature off. Even if there is a "logical" explanation for why this happened, and it were fixed, I still wouldn't use it. My wife and I almost met our maker two times in one month.

39 Posts
It happened to me a few times where the automatic braking slammed on the brakes when someone was too close BEHIND me. Like me changing lanes, still having my turn signal on, and someone else changing lanes into my new lane behind me, the seltos decides that its a good idea to slam on the brakes...

Seltos GT-line, (=SX), 2020 model, Mars Orange, 1.6L turbo, AWD
224 Posts
At first i was planning to ask if anyone else experienced my problem, but now I think I would consider my post to be a warning. I have had my 2023 Kia Seltos EX for about one month. The first week we had it, we were driving 100 km/hr (60 miles/hr) down the highway when suddenly loud beeps started going off, and a the car slowed way down even though there were no vehicles in front of us. If there had been an 18-wheeler behind us, we would have been a goner. We were so cautious afterwards and it appeared to be an isolated incident. Until it wasn't. The same thing happened last night, and again, no vehicles ahead. I googled, "collision warning random" and amazed how often this happens, not just with Kias, but many vehicles. I am going to turn this feature off. Even if there is a "logical" explanation for why this happened, and it were fixed, I still wouldn't use it. My wife and I almost met our maker two times in one month.
Wow, that's a bit of a worry. It has never happened to me in any disturbing way in my 'old' 2019 model GT-line. Only if I continue to back out when it has detected a cross-traffic event, that is - which I am grateful for. Oh, and yes, a sudden slowdown when on smart cruise and at urban low speed, because on a curve it has picked up a large vehicle parked kerbside but on the outer of the curve in the road, so it appears to be directly ahead. Not a crash stop, just a slow-down, and no drama. Again, completely understandable. Begs the question, are they getting just too cute in the software department - or is this another possible issue related to dodgy Covid related quality of components..? Has anyone else with a pre mid 2020 model had this happen..?

2023 SX Gravity Gray
17 Posts
I've had my 2023 SX for 6-7 weeks and it's happened to me twice as well. I will admit, the weather was rough, but that's still not an excuse for the car to slam on the brakes while doing 70mph. If the software isn't good enough to fight through the weather, then it needs to turn itself off quicker (it does after awhile).

While we're on a rant about safety chimes:
  • The blind spot warning sensor reads too far out. It picks up cars 1.5 lanes over. ie. I'm merging into an open lane, I get halfway in the lane and it's beeping about the car in the lane past that. Happens every single time there's a car in that far lane. Every time. Even a tiny 1ft change would probably help false alarms here.
  • The weight sensor in the passenger seat is far too sensitive. The sensor chimes the seatbelt indicator and probably arms/disarms the passenger airbag. My laptop or (not and) my plastic lunch bag sets it off. A flippin newborn baby without a car seat weighs more than that. Please double the weight limit. From like 4lbs to 8lbs or something.
  • I complained about this in another thread, but the alert that the car in front of you is pulling away got turned off in my vehicle REAL quick. While waiting to turn, the car in front pulls away, it beeps, but it's not safe for me to go so STFU. lol

2023 KIA Seltos SX
208 Posts
A tap of the gas will disengage the braking immediately. The few times I've done it I've only lost a few Kph. I can often anticipate it too. The car ahead of me moves into the left-hand turning lane and breaks. The Seltos can't really trust that it's not still in our path. A quick tap of the gas immediately disengages the braking and resumes.

The same goes for Active Cruise Control. If you tap the gas when it slowing for a car that's not really in your path it trusts your decision and disengages the braking.

224 Posts
I've had my 2023 SX for 6-7 weeks and it's happened to me twice as well. I will admit, the weather was rough, but that's still not an excuse for the car to slam on the brakes while doing 70mph. If the software isn't good enough to fight through the weather, then it needs to turn itself off quicker (it does after awhile).

While we're on a rant about safety chimes:
  • The blind spot warning sensor reads too far out. It picks up cars 1.5 lanes over. ie. I'm merging into an open lane, I get halfway in the lane and it's beeping about the car in the lane past that. Happens every single time there's a car in that far lane. Every time. Even a tiny 1ft change would probably help false alarms here.
  • The weight sensor in the passenger seat is far too sensitive. The sensor chimes the seatbelt indicator and probably arms/disarms the passenger airbag. My laptop or (not and) my plastic lunch bag sets it off. A flippin newborn baby without a car seat weighs more than that. Please double the weight limit. From like 4lbs to 8lbs or something.
  • I complained about this in another thread, but the alert that the car in front of you is pulling away got turned off in my vehicle REAL quick. While waiting to turn, the car in front pulls away, it beeps, but it's not safe for me to go so STFU. lol
SHCS has already pointed out a few quick fixes. Adding to that, my suggestion re...
Dot point 1, is accept it, don't fret, have a quick glance to make sure it is indeed a lane away - in case it's not..!
Dot point 2, close the seatbelt around your laptop/lunch box - no annoying chime - might save it being dumped on the floor in a sudden stop..? That, or place on rear seat..?
Dot point 3, basically same as for 1. Relax...chill out...ignore when it happens - be thankfull when it does catch you napping. Life's too short to let those things bug you. ;) (y)

· Super Moderator
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
425 Posts
I’ve had mine brake occasionally when someone is pulling off in a turn lane, but I expect it and have overridden. Other than that, no issues on the ACC on mine.

2023 KIA Seltos SX
208 Posts
@firebirdude
The weight sensor in the passenger seat is far too sensitive. The sensor chimes the seatbelt indicator and probably arms/disarms the passenger airbag. My laptop or (not and) my plastic lunch bag sets it off. A flippin newborn baby without a car seat weighs more than that. Please double the weight limit. From like 4lbs to 8lbs or something.
Okay ... thought about this again. That's gotta be a defect. I toss my work bag on my front seat each day. Its not light. Laptop, tools including wrench, screwdriver, sidecutters, hard drives, cables. Gotta be at least 15 lbs. It doesn't set off my weight sensor.

Dot point 2, close the seatbelt around your laptop/lunch box - no annoying chime - might save it being dumped on the floor in a sudden stop..? That, or place on rear seat..?
If this is a possible solution, go to Amazon and search for 'seatbelt dumbie'.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SHCS has already pointed out a few quick fixes. Adding to that, my suggestion re...
Dot point 1, is accept it, don't fret, have a quick glance to make sure it is indeed a lane away - in case it's not..!
Dot point 3, basically same as for 1. Relax...chill out...ignore when it happens - be thankfull when it does catch you napping. Life's too short to let those things bug you. ;) (y)
Only challenge with that is when the vehicle slows down from it. As I pointed out, had there been a vehicle behind me, I would have been rear-ended. I shudder to think if it were a transport truck. I turned it off yesterday but kept the audio alert.

224 Posts
Only challenge with that is when the vehicle slows down from it. As I pointed out, had there been a vehicle behind me, I would have been rear-ended. I shudder to think if it were a transport truck. I turned it off yesterday but kept the audio alert.
Hmmmm, mine when on the smart cruise, does not react to blind spot warning, other than just a beep and the 2 car image pops up on the relevant edge of the HUD and door mirror. If yours reacts to that, then that's a new one, and I hope my model is too old to get that. That is definitely not what you want to have happen, and another case of those damned software people not following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. :(
Good that you are able to turn it off. However, does it stay off - or do you have to go into the menus and turn it off every time you start up..? That would be a bummer for sure..!

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmmm, mine when on the smart cruise, does not react to blind spot warning, other than just a beep and the 2 car image pops up on the relevant edge of the HUD and door mirror. If yours reacts to that, then that's a new one, and I hope my model is too old to get that. That is definitely not what you want to have happen, and another case of those damned software people not following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. :(
Good that you are able to turn it off. However, does it stay off - or do you have to go into the menus and turn it off every time you start up..? That would be a bummer for sure..!
Fortunately I can turn it off permanently without having to reset it each time. Strangely, I have the option to turn off the part that slams on the breaks without notice but if I also turn off the beeping too, it displays an error message on the panel. I think it should be the other way... if you keep it on, that's when the error message should show up because it's so dangerous. I'm surprised we don't hear about more accidents because when I googled search words of what happened to me I was shocked by the many people who reported the same thing.

224 Posts
Fortunately I can turn it off permanently without having to reset it each time. Strangely, I have the option to turn off the part that slams on the breaks without notice but if I also turn off the beeping too, it displays an error message on the panel. I think it should be the other way... if you keep it on, that's when the error message should show up because it's so dangerous. I'm surprised we don't hear about more accidents because when I googled search words of what happened to me I was shocked by the many people who reported the same thing.
Brian, if I'm reading you correct, you can turn off the sudden braking and the beeping as separate functions..? If so, I'd encourage you to not turn off the warning beep re a possible vehicle in the blind spot. I'd say definitely keep that, and that's probably why it throws up an error message if you also turn that off. In other words it sounds like a warning to not negate the blind spot warning thing entirely, and I would certainly agree with that.

192 Posts
A tap of the gas will disengage the braking immediately. The few times I've done it I've only lost a few Kph. I can often anticipate it too. The car ahead of me moves into the left-hand turning lane and breaks. The Seltos can't really trust that it's not still in our path. A quick tap of the gas immediately disengages the braking and resumes.

The same goes for Active Cruise Control. If you tap the gas when it slowing for a car that's not really in your path it trusts your decision and disengages the braking.
Agreed. This tends to happen most often when a car exits the freeway while I stay on the freeway. Some off-ramps that are on. slight curve seems to trigger the braking. Tapping the gas helps.

27 Posts
I googled, "collision warning random" and amazed how often this happens, not just with Kias, but many vehicles. I am going to turn this feature off. Even if there is a "logical" explanation for why this happened, and it were fixed, I still wouldn't use it. My wife and I almost met our maker two times in one month.
question, when it occurred was the sensor surface clean or covered with road grimes [salt, dirt, etc]? I am guessing the most common cause is dirt/ice build-up on the surface of the sensor. this seems to be most problematic in areas with lot of cold/snow/salt/etc.

224 Posts
question, when it occurred was the sensor surface clean or covered with road grimes [salt, dirt, etc]? I am guessing the most common cause is dirt/ice build-up on the surface of the sensor. this seems to be most problematic in areas with lot of cold/snow/salt/etc.
Excellent question, that. So easy to forget about those wee round things set into the bumpers. The sensors on my car work perfectly. In fact I'm in awe of just how well all this stuff works. Which is good, because that's why I paid top dollar for the top model with ALL the bells and safety whistles. Hard to believe, or understand therefore, how some others of same car/model seem to have so many issues..? Could it be as simple as them being dirty? - the sensors, I mean, not the owners... 😬

1 - 17 of 17 Posts