Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2021 Kia Seltos LX, 2.0l CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloo just gave me the best fuel economy yet! The last tank returned 35.5mpg over 428 miles. This is a manual calculation using miles/fillup gallons. The computer was on crack; it calculated 38.5mpg.

According to the display, I had 5 miles remaining on the tank; that's garbage, too. I know there's an extra gallon at zero coz I've twice gone 25 miles below it without running out.

Anyhoo...I managed this driving 70% highway, 25% country roads, 5% city traffic. Highway speed averaged around 70. Backroads averaged around 40.

The best my old 2012 Soul could do was 35mpg - and I only did it once.

·
160 Posts
Bloo just gave me the best fuel economy yet! The last tank returned 35.5mpg over 428 miles. This is a manual calculation using miles/fillup gallons. The computer was on crack; it calculated 38.5mpg.

According to the display, I had 5 miles remaining on the tank; that's garbage, too. I know there's an extra gallon at zero coz I've twice gone 25 miles below it without running out.

Anyhoo...I managed this driving 70% highway, 25% country roads, 5% city traffic. Highway speed averaged around 70. Backroads averaged around 40.

The best my old 2012 Soul could do was 35mpg - and I only did it once.
After a year of ownership, the SX Turbo is giving about the same. On a recent road trip to AZ, the MPG on the car was at 39.6. That leg of the trip was 100% highway driving, maybe even with a tailwind! I'll take it!

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow...that's cool! Was that car-computer mpg, or did you manually divide miles driven by gallons filled?

·
2021 Kia Seltos, 2.0 AWD
10 Posts
I managed ~36.5mpg (computer calculated) at about 60mph with 2 people on a trip today. On the return trip with another 100lbs ( x4 25lb tires I bought) i averaged 35.2mpg (computer calculated). Pretty decent I think.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I managed ~36.5mpg (computer calculated) at about 60mph with 2 people on a trip today. On the return trip with another 100lbs ( x4 25lb tires I bought) i averaged 35.2mpg (computer calculated). Pretty decent I think.
The computer mpg calculation is a joke. However, subtracting 3mpg from those will get you pretty close to the actual mpg.

For example, Brainiac told me I got 37.3mpg from my last tank. It came out to 34.5mpg when I did the math.

Another joke is the miles-until-empty calculation. It over-estinates by about 25 miles at fill up and under-estimates by about the same amount at the end. I can easily do 20 miles on an "empty" tank. I even did 25 once.

·
2021 Kia Seltos, 2.0 AWD
10 Posts
I know these calculators are always off by a bit but if its close to -3mpg and I actually got ~33mpg then I'm still pretty happy.

I've also noticed the miles to empty being off by quite a bit. I assume 0 is really 1-1.5 gallons left?

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About a gallon remaining at the zero miles is what I'm seeing. I really don't like the way it's set up. The low fuel warning comes on at about 25 miles above "empty". That's bound to tighten a sphincter or two out in the boonies. At that point, it's actually about 55 miles to a dry tank.

Both mpg and range calcs were waaay more accurate on my 2012 Soul.

BTW...33mpg is really good for a car like this. You're doing something right :cool:

·
2021 Kia Seltos, 2.0 AWD
10 Posts
2.0 and IVT is a perfect match. keeping speed in low 70s' will yield low 30s' and high 30s' below 60 mph. indeed impressive.
I couldn't agree more. I'm sure it would be even better if the Seltos lost ~100lbs or so, lol.

·
13 Posts
Today I returned from my first long trip (2300 miles) from Virginia to Florida.
Honestly, it was excellent, comfortable, economical (33.8 gallons per mile on average) the only criticism I have of my Seltos S AWD is that of the seat (very narrow even though I am a relatively thin person).
I am very happy with my car so far.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I returned from my first long trip (2300 miles) from Virginia to Florida.
Honestly, it was excellent, comfortable, economical (33.8 gallons per mile on average) the only criticism I have of my Seltos S AWD is that of the seat (very narrow even though I am a relatively thin person).
I am very happy with my car so far.
Economical for a Sherman tank with a thrown track, maybe 🙃

I know you meant "miles per gallon", but I couldn't resist :)

That is good mileage, and consistent with what I'm getting on my daily commute. The CVT sucks off the line, but really shines on the expressway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts