Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2021 Kia Seltos LX, 2.0l CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled up with regular on Sunday afternoon. This is what I'm seeing after half a tank (230 miles). About a hundred of that was interstate (60-75mph), the rest were rural roads (30-50mph).

I know the car overestimates mileage by about 7%. Despite this, actual mileage has been pretty good (31-35mpg across 12,000 miles).

Still...if Bloo can keep this up for another half tank, 42mpg could translate to better than 38mpg, actual - on a non-hybrid, AWD SUV! I deliberately did a fair bit of "look-ahead" driving on this tank, and expected a dividend - just not this much. I hope the mpg computer is a consistent liar.

Stay tuned!

·
53 Posts
I filled up with regular on Sunday afternoon. This is what I'm seeing after half a tank (230 miles). About a hundred of that was interstate (60-75mph), the rest were rural roads (30-50mph).

View attachment 956

I know the car overestimates mileage by about 7%. Despite this, actual mileage has been pretty good (31-35mpg across 12,000 miles).

Still...if Bloo can keep this up for another half tank, 42mpg could translate to better than 38mpg, actual - on a non-hybrid, AWD SUV! I deliberately did a fair bit of "look-ahead" driving on this tank, and expected a dividend - just not this much. I hope the mpg computer is a consistent liar.

Stay tuned!
Wow! Better than mine! I get about 21-22 around town and nothing over 27 on highway. I'm not an aggressive driver. 15,280 miles

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man...that's kinda rough. I'm gonna guess you did the calculations (miles driven / gallons at fillup).

Do you have the turbo? Is your commute through heavy traffic or hilly terrain? I think cruise control can keep the turbo spooled at higher speeds in the hills. That'll suck fuel like a mofo.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Soo...fuel economy slowly dropped over the past couple of days. Braniac now reports 39.7 mpg. Still...this is going to be a very good tank.

It's been 427 miles since my last fillup. The mileage computer reports 15 miles of fuel remaining. I know from experience that Bloo can go 25 miles on "empty".

I'm going to gas up tomorrow morning on the way to work. The station is about 25 miles away. Normally, I wouldn't sweat it coz that'll bring me only 10 miles "below zero", and I've gone farther. Yet I don't think anyone's gotten 450 miles out of a Seltos - even though that's what I'm gunning for.

Add to that some computer weirdness on the way home. I got off the expressway and drove the last 15 miles on a state road. I think the transition really confused Brainiac. For 4 of those miles, the display got stuck on 18 miles remaining. I've not seen this happen before. The Seltos usually decrements this value faster near the end, not slower.

Tomorrow's drive is going to be a nail biter. 450 miles or bust !

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well...um...I underestimated the distance to the gas station. It was 32 miles, not 25. I was worried but Bloo made it! Now for the numbers...

Full up gallons = 12.425
Actual mileage = 37.0mpg
Computer mileage = 40.2mpg (8.7% high)
Actual range = 460 miles
Miles driven below computer zero = 17

This tank was split about 50-50 between interstate driving (60-75mph) and rural driving (30-50mph) with a few city miles thrown in.

·
2021 Neptune Blue Kia Seltos S AWD
10 Posts
If you keep it in smart mode your AWD essentially becomes a FWD. That what I have learned going through the 3 modes and watching the wheel power diagram. Normal the back wheels get some power starting off but cuts to the front quickly. Sport is like 80/20 default and splits even more the faster you go. I use when I coming off or on a ramp as it does make the 2.0 peppy. I really can't see what more people need beyond it. It's no drag racer but it holds it own I'm my book.

·
Premium Member
2021 Seltos SX Starbright Yellow
26 Posts
Curious with mpg results are people running ethanol or non-ethanol gas? I have the turbo, am a conservative 69 year old driver, and rarely see anything over 21-22 in town on the high side and 26-27 on highway. It seems to improve significantly when I can find non-ethanol gas but that's getting harder and harder, especially for Premium like the turbo requires. Ethanol gas is nothing more than welfare for corn growers. There is zero benefit performance-wise, and because of it's burn properties vs. non-ethanol will always give less mpg. Fortunately Regular 87 octane non-ethanol is easily available here so I use that for my mowers and snowblowers, and motorcycles. Small engines are particularly prone to damage from ethanol gas. And now the government is trying to shove 15% down our throats in place of the 10%.

·
10 Posts
I had a 2016 Kia Forte Koup non turbo GDI 2.0 and that sucker would fly. The big 3 use to make big displacement for horsepower, Dodge still does, but it seems Kia is using technology and turbos to put up big numbers and burn more gas at the same time. I suspect with that 1.6L it's having to dump more gas to get off the line and up to speed. Also that DCT isn't helping probably. Never thought I would like a CVT(IVT) but Kia made a believer out of me.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I had a 2016 Kia Forte Koup non turbo GDI 2.0 and that sucker would fly. The big 3 use to make big displacement for horsepower, Dodge still does, but it seems Kia is using technology and turbos to put up big numbers and burn more gas at the same time. I suspect with that 1.6L it's having to dump more gas to get off the line and up to speed. Also that DCT isn't helping probably. Never thought I would like a CVT(IVT) but Kia made a believer out of me.
I wanted to go with the non-turbo 2.0 and CVT, but Kia in all their wisdom, decided that they'd only let you have the Bose Audio if you buy the SX with the 1.6 tiny turbo and jerk-o-matic 7 speed dual clutch transmission. Really a poor engine and worse transmission. And to add insult to injury, the Bose system is really pathetic. I've had many cars whose audio was far superior even though it wasn't "Premium Audio." I was also told that wireless Apple CarPlay would be a mid-year firmware upgrade. Now I'm being told it's impossible, even though some on this forum say they've been upgraded already. My first Kia (actually first non-European) car in over 30 years, and it'll likely be the last. Anyone who asks me about the car (at least it it is good looking), I tell them I'm very disappointed and wouldn't buy another Kia based on my experiences with this one. Sign me Not A Happy Camper!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I wanted to go with the non-turbo 2.0 and CVT, but Kia in all their wisdom, decided that they'd only let you have the Bose Audio if you buy the SX with the 1.6 tiny turbo and jerk-o-matic 7 speed dual clutch transmission. Really a poor engine and worse transmission. And to add insult to injury, the Bose system is really pathetic. I've had many cars whose audio was far superior even though it wasn't "Premium Audio." I was also told that wireless Apple CarPlay would be a mid-year firmware upgrade. Now I'm being told it's impossible, even though some on this forum say they've been upgraded already. My first Kia (actually first non-European) car in over 30 years, and it'll likely be the last. Anyone who asks me about the car (at least it it is good looking), I tell them I'm very disappointed and wouldn't buy another Kia based on my experiences with this one. Sign me Not A Happy Camper!

·
10 Posts
The non Bose 8 inch entertainment in the lower models really has some beat. I'm really surprised how loud they get. Yeah I think for the money a maxed out EX or S model is about all you need to do on this model. Dump the 1.6T and put a 2.0 GDI in it and call it a day. Also go with just a regular tranny for more towing.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
117 Posts

View attachment 956

Stay tuned!
Just came back from a 750 mile trip. I averaged 33 mpg, which I was very happy with. I own the SX turbo and I always have it in Smart mode. I've had the car just over a year, 15300 miles, best I've ever done was 35 mpg. And my all time average is 30 mpg. So there's something definitely wrong with your car computer. Have you changed the tire size at all?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts