Kia Seltos Forum banner

Seltos SX vs 2016 Sportage SX

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  11.11 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I am a current owner of a third generation (SL) Sportage SX. I've owned this vehicle since new for nearly 7 years and have had all trouble free and highly enjoyable years of driving. I love the combination of small size (the new Sportage model has gotten too big for my needs/taste) and power (260bhp stock, 300 with my stage 1 tune). I'm still a few years out from trading in my Sportage, so I've begun my research process now—and the Seltos appears to be the frontrunner.

While I've seen lots of comparisons to other contemporary competitors (which makes sense), I haven't seen where anyone has done a comparison to the third generation (SL) model Sportage. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the SX trim of both the Seltos and the third gen Sportage. I realize the Sportage has a lot more power on paper, but the power band is much different—the Seltos giving much more torque lower in the power band, for example. I'm also curious about the fit and finish of the Seltos. My Sportage has been exceptional in how it's held up, and practical utility considering space.

I'd love anyone's input on a real world comparison between these two vehicles. Cheers!

#2 ·
Ok, well, as no-one else has chimed in, for mine, you couldn't go wrong with a Seltos, but go for the top model, so you get all the goodies, and have no regrets later. I agree, the latest Sportage is decidedly a bigger vehicle now. The previous (your) model is hardly any bigger than the Seltos, (especially inside), so you will not lose any real space. 👍

#4 ·
It's quite hard to find a proper comparison in terms of standing 1/4, or 0-60mph (0-100kph) figures, but I can say that the power outputs of the Sportage are all around the same as the Seltos, (132-137kw) yet it is a heavier car, so one could deduce performance differences to reflect that. However, I have a Wheels Mag membership, so I'll go into back issues and see it they have some model review figures to quote. Watch this space.

#5 ·
Ok, Zazzle, unable to obtain any timed performance figures so far for the Sportage, but here below is a Wheels mag comparison of the Mazda CX30, Seltos GT-line, (SX for you), and the Toyota CHR Koba. (Their top model here on Oz). if you blow it up, the figures should be readable, but in case you have trouble...the Seltos 0-80kph = 6.0 secs, the 0-100kph = 8.3 secs, and the 0-400kph = roughly your standing 1/4mile = 16.2 secs @ 143.5kph. Not too stingy at all really for an SUV.
In other words, compared to your Sportage, it would feel somewhat quicker all round.

#7 ·
Hello, I had a 2017 Sportage SX and I believe it was redesigned that year so it may not apply to your 2016 in everyway but I CAN tell you that I loved it and it was very reliable and faster than anything I ever owned. I am now the proud owner of a 2024 Seltos SX with optional sunroof package which also gives you ventilated seats, digital key and a remote smart hatch. I traded the Sportage in and never looked back. I am 6'3" and 260 lbs and I have even more driver room in the Seltos. To be fair the Sportage did have a bit more back seat room but my 2 standard poodles still have plenty of room ! LOL. The Seltos is more fun to drive, especially in Sport Mode but still has a nice comfort level. LOTS more features as you would expect being a much newer car. As far as power goes, again it has TONS of it. My first car was a 1966 6 volt VW with less than 50hp so I have never had a need to drive a muscle car but I DO appreciate having all the power I need to cut into and out of traffic. Hope this helps.

#8 ·
I just came out of a 2021 KIA Seltos SX. It’s a pretty awesome car to say the least. Best in its class by a longshot. Comfort, power, interior room, tech, design inside and out. The 2024 is even more impressive. Wait, why did I turn it in? 🤷‍♂️

No, I really love the my new Tucsan, which has similar strengths. Definitely not from a power perspective though. Essentially, I just wanted a more substantial car for transporting four adults on occasion. And something a bit more luxurious on the inside and interesting to the eye on the outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.