Kia Seltos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My budget allows me the choice between a Seltos 2.0 petrol FWD with IVT and all the bells and whistles (New Zealand model called LTD 2.0) as well as a Toyota RAV4 (2.0 petrol FWD CVT). I became infatuated with the Seltos, test drove its various models, got a great quote from the dealer, and put in a $2,000 deposit (signed a paper saying it’s non-refundable- buyers remorse??). The car gets delivered in early Feb 2021. But now I’m second guessing my decision big time. The smaller-sized (relative to the RAV4) Seltos drives nicely and will serve my needs just fine but I keep asking myself whether I should take a gamble with a feature packed new kid on the block (the Seltos) or go with a time tested Toyota, which has a long established record of reliability (it may well mean goodbye to the $2,000 deposit). My concern is having a new car which breaks down and takes ages to be repaired even under warranty (if it’s repairable, that is). All reviewers talk about how great the features of the Seltos are, and I agree. Additionally, most users have only had their Seltoses for a few months if not days. But is it a reliable enough vehicle to overlook a Toyota? I’m agonising over this. Please help me! Cheers.

·
245 Posts
My budget allows me the choice between a Seltos 2.0 petrol FWD with IVT and all the bells and whistles (New Zealand model called LTD 2.0) as well as a Toyota RAV4 (2.0 petrol FWD CVT). I became infatuated with the Seltos, test drove its various models, got a great quote from the dealer, and put in a $2,000 deposit (signed a paper saying it’s non-refundable- buyers remorse??). The car gets delivered in early Feb 2021. But now I’m second guessing my decision big time. The smaller-sized (relative to the RAV4) Seltos drives nicely and will serve my needs just fine but I keep asking myself whether I should take a Egamble with a feature packed new kid on the block (the Seltos) or go with a time tested Toyota, which has a long established record of reliability (it may well mean goodbye to the $2,000 deposit). My concern is having a new car which breaks down and takes ages to be repaired even under warranty (if it’s repairable, that is). All reviewers talk about how great the features of the Seltos are, and I agree. Additionally, most users have only had their Seltoses for a few months if not days. But is it a reliable enough vehicle to overlook a Toyota? I’m agonising over this. Please help me! Cheers.
I am actually hoping the Corolla Cross makes it to the US. It is roughly the size of the Seltos.
I really like the design of the Seltos and the size and look is great. The thing is, I am a bit spoiled in that I never had to go back to the dealer to get anything made right on my 2015 RAV4. I am hearing that Kia gives great service and that is nice, but I positively despise having to waste time at a dealer for anything.

Now in your case, I would find it hard to throw away $2000. I dunno, maybe you could get the Seltos now and if it is trouble free , enjoy all the nice things about it and keep it for years.
Come to think of it, isn't the Corolla Cross already in your country or is it just in Australia now?

·
2021 Kia Seltos SX Turbo Lunar Orange
37 Posts
Don’t worry about it. Get the one you really want. Any car can have issues.
I’ve had mine for 9 months and 12000 kms and no problems. I know that should be expected at this early stage but I am confident and, above all, enjoying the car without fretting about reliability.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am actually hoping the Corolla Cross makes it to the US. It is roughly the size of the Seltos.
I really like the design of the Seltos and the size and look is great. The thing is, I am a bit spoiled in that I never had to go back to the dealer to get anything made right on my 2015 RAV4. I am hearing that Kia gives great service and that is nice, but I positively despise having to waste time at a dealer for anything.

Now in your case, I would find it hard to throw away $2000. I dunno, maybe you could get the Seltos now and if it is trouble free , enjoy all the nice things about it and keep it for years.
Come to think of it, isn't the Corolla Cross already in your country or is it just in Australia now?
I feel the same way. I positively do not want to leave a new car with the dealer for days or weeks soon after I’ve bought it. And no, we don’t have the Corolla Cross available in NZ as yet.

The IVT failures being discussed here do not fill me with a lot of confidence either:

Transmission

1 - 4 of 4 Posts