Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
177 Posts
Well, I'm not fond of the Navigation in my current version. It can only take two waypoints. I travel from Arizona to Indiana and I want to preload my route with the gas and hotel stops along my route but this damn thing can only take two waypoints at a time. I'm hoping that this is change on the new version. Has anyone downloaded/installed the new software yet? Please tell us your experience. Thanks.

·
177 Posts
I don't like KIA's "Navigation Updater". It updates NOT only the Navigation System but also the entire Infotainment system! Navigation should be a separate entity which projects only the Navigation System into the display device of the vehicle - like Mazda, etc. The KIA systems analyst really drop the ball on this. They think that "integration" is cool but not to me. That's why I'm still using my trusted Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
184 Posts
I don't like KIA's "Navigation Updater". It updates NOT only the Navigation System but also the entire Infotainment system! Navigation should be a separate entity which projects only the Navigation System into the display device of the vehicle - like Mazda, etc. The KIA systems analyst really drop the ball on this. They think that "integration" is cool but not to me. That's why I'm still using my trusted Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT.
This is so True! When I purchased the 20201 KIA Seltos S & SX turbo the Entertainment/Navigation was about perfect. THEN I UPDATED IT. See my comments on it. Awful! The entire system was changed for the worse, but this was back in Summer of 2021. Would anyone know if it got better? It states I needed an update again for 2022. Has anyone noticed any change?

·
177 Posts
This is so True! When I purchased the 20201 KIA Seltos S & SX turbo the Entertainment/Navigation was about perfect. THEN I UPDATED IT. See my comments on it. Awful! The entire system was changed for the worse, but this was back in Summer of 2021. Would anyone know if it got better? It states I needed an update again for 2022. Has anyone noticed any change?
I have downloaded and prepared the update USB flash drive but I’m not going to install the update yet on my 2021 SX Turbo. I’ll wait for comments from early updaters. I want to make sure that the feature I want (badly) is in.

·
324 Posts
I just checked the car - with the latest update you lose the radio tubes that not many people liked, and can now edit/order the list of Sirius and other stations. The purple stuff is still there and you can still only add up to 2 'waypoints' to your route - the final destination + up to 2 waypoints. Attached is a PDF of all the changes that Kia mentions for this May 2022 update. With the update file being so much larger now you would assume that more Points of Interest etc. are included. Some local new roads around here are finally showing in this release.

See Kia Infotainment Update (April 28 2022) post # 36 for instructions I use to do the update.... Not hard, and I'd rather do it than ask the service dept...if you can even get an appt.

Attachments

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
184 Posts
I just checked the car - with the latest update you lose the radio tubes that not many people liked, and can now edit/order the list of Sirius and other stations. The purple stuff is still there and you can still only add up to 2 'waypoints' to your route - the final destination + up to 2 waypoints. Attached is a PDF of all the changes that Kia mentions for this May 2022 update. With the update file being so much larger now you would assume that more Points of Interest etc. are included. Some local new roads around here are finally showing in this release.

See Kia Infotainment Update (April 28 2022) post # 36 for instructions I use to do the update.... Not hard, and I'd rather do it than ask the service dept...if you can even get an appt.
Most "additional" Annoying change is that every time you turn your car on, your screen defaults to the Purple UGLY & NOT HELPFUL, home screen, no matter where you were when you turned the car off previously. I always had the split screen for Nav & Radio. So every time I turn it on, I have to hit the RADIO button.

·
Seltos GT-line, (=SX), 2020 model, Mars Orange, 1.6L turbo, AWD
117 Posts
Most "additional" Annoying change is that every time you turn your car on, your screen defaults to the Purple UGLY & NOT HELPFUL, home screen, no matter where you were when you turned the car off previously. I always had the split screen for Nav & Radio. So every time I turn it on, I have to hit the RADIO button.
Sorry, coming in on this a bit late - only recently found this site. I'm in Queensland, Australia. I obtained my GT-Line (= to your SX) in Dec 2019. I found the screen icons nice, and the navigation had a great feature, now lost in the later updates. I found the earlier version of the infotainment more intuitive, but I've now adapted to the puple stuff often complained about. However, the feature in the nav I really miss was the 'suspend route' button, which was replaced in the updates by just 'cancel route'.

How is that an improvement..? So often you don't need the turn by turn directions until getting close, so setting the route on, then suspending it was great. (Google and Apple maps don't have this feature, and I loved it). When you wanted to resume the route, that button had changed to 'resume route' (or similar), and when you touched that, there it was, starting from where you had got up to. Now, if you cancel it, when you want it again it is 3 extra steps to open the menu. 1. select the last used, which defaults to the top at least, then 2. hit that, then 3. hit start navigation. Surely all that extra time attention taken off the road is bad enough, but bl**dy annoying as well..? Did this happen in the US/Canadian cars..?

·
117 Posts
It appears to me these software geeks don't follow the basic and sound rule - if it ain't broke - don't fix it..! They just can't resist fiddling and doing stuff they think is more eye-catching.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
184 Posts
I totally agree! On my last update I regretted it. Being in the states, there's been recently another software update, But this time I'm waiting at least for a couple of months for them to iron out the bug/issues.

·
324 Posts
the feature in the nav I really miss was the 'suspend route' button, which was replaced in the updates by just 'cancel route'.
This changed an update or two back to the unintuitive but functional: press/hold the "Cancel Route" button during a trip. A "Guidance Paused" pop up shows...and the button on the map now shows "Resume Route". Just ran out to garage to test it. The other day I noticed in the navigation setup screens there's an option to stop voice guidance, I believe, when you get 'near' your destination....

·
117 Posts
Dougt said...
This changed an update or two back to the unintuitive but functional: press/hold the "Cancel Route" button during a trip. A "Guidance Paused" pop up shows...and the button on the map now shows "Resume Route"
Thanks Doug. I was not aware of that possibility - who knew..? There is nothing to advise of this. Not sure if we even have that option. I'll try it next time out.

·
324 Posts
Here are some notes from the last 4 updates for your reading pleasure down in Austraaaaaya....... Some interesting things including "Soundhound"...if you remember them!

- Maps does have a "Cancel Route" button now - long press it to "Pause Route" (not real intuitive) and the button now shows "Resume" route. If you don't see the Cancel Route button, tap on the map and it appears.

- You can long press on the map and get options now to set that point on the map as your destination, report an accident etc (??) and save that location to your list of places.... I guess if you could really press on the exact location that would help but this has escaped usefulness to me....?

- Press 'Button' to see where to switch the 'zoom map' function from the tuning knob to the vol knob. It was a good reminder that using the tuning knob is much faster and safer to temporarily zoom in/out than using the + and - buttons on the map.... Picture below.

- I noticed the Link Bluetooth Device field had been removed in Driver Profiles, I think for both my wife and my profiles. Click on the right arrow and choose from the list of phones....??

- Previously I had a problem sending a text from voice prompt ("Send text to Julie I am on my way home") - everytime the first text would fail, and you would have to go to Phone and tap the icon of messages, tap the message and resend it - it would always work the second time. I tested a few times and now it seems to work even the first time...hurray. That is a nice safety feature...

- The thing I was most interested in was "Soundhound" now being available to us peons. I googled it etc. Here is the text I wrote to Kia asking more info about it. It has, I think, increased the questions you can ask of the car. Certainly not like Google Assistant though....

The update mentions "Soundhound" being available, but gives few details. From what I researched and tested, I can press the Push to Talk button on the steering wheel and ask it a limited set of questions - about Sports, Weather, Day/Time, Stocks and Navigation. I could NOT ask it like with Google, "What is the president's middle name?"
Questions I could ask:

"When is the Denver Nuggets next game?" "Did the Avalanche win last night?"

"Will it snow tomorrow?" "What's the high temp for tomorrow?"

"How did IBM stock do today?" "How did the stock market do today?"

"Navigate to 1380 Tulip St. Longmont Colorado." "Navigate to Boyd Lake Veterinary" "Navigate to Daddy O's Green Onion"

When is Valentine's Day?

Attachments

·
117 Posts
Thanks Doug. Now I have to go out and 'olay' with mine, and see if it is recent enough update, or whether I will have to wait until the latest Aussie update. I noticed when I clicked on the iNet option for makes/models eligible in the links you put up, Seltos does not appear. Why is that..? Presumably it works as you have done it. Is Seltos called something else in that list in the US..?

·
117 Posts
Hey Doug, you're an absolute goldmine of info re the nav system anyway. I found I do get the resume route if I do a one second touch on the cancel route button - and yes - the tuning knob for the radio, in nav, acts as a zoom in and out control. Brilliant. But how was a guy (or gal) meant to find these tricks out..? Certainly not in the manual. I guess that's the value of these forums. ✅👍

·
324 Posts
I thought olay they might have some special meaning down under, something Cadogan would know about! So I see what you mean, on the three Links that I have above only the November 2021 link has the Seltos in the list of cars. I am really stumped about that! I also checked the mapnsoft.com website and that links back to the same list that we see from the update.kia.com list. So I do not have an explanation, I thought I have always seen those lists contain Seltos! At the end of the day I think the type of head unit is the really important thing anyway, ours is "standard gen 5w". But, yes the updates have always gone fine since I got the car 12/20. Anyway, the mapnsoft.com website is a good resource and I believe they have a phone number (below) where you can talk to an actual live person if you need to double check that you're looking at the right place for updates for australia. Everybody here thinks the world revolves around the United States and I forget that there might be a whole different place for you guys to go for updates, I'm sure there is. Here are my contacts for the updates:
  • Navigations Solutions Center (old "Mapnsoft") 888 757-0010 ===> If there are problems with actual update! Check first for new update availability at mapnsoft.com Chat at www.mapnsoft.com also…. M - F: 6 am - 5 pm PST Sat: 6 am - 1 pm PST
  • Kia Updates: 800 333-4542
  • Kia UVO Support: 844-886-9411 - ?'s on Kia Connect/UVO Account (also roadside or other questions).

By the way, I thought of you tonight as my wife and I watched the first episode of an Australian crime drama called Mystery Road. It was quite good and prior to that we saw the prequel I guess you would say, Mystery Road Origin. That was all on Acorn. Quite the Australian landscape, I must say. Quite dusty. The star of the show asked the owner of a cattle station, as it was called, how large it was. The guy said "a quarter million acres..." We googled how many square miles the United States is compared to australia, and we are larger but by not all that much. It's a smaller world than ever.

·
117 Posts
Yes, she's a big country, and a lot of the interior is desert now, that used eons ago to be a huge inland sea. Lake Eyre forms the low point, and when we have heavy prolonged rain in its catchment, which is quite rare normally, although with climate change is happening more often now, sometime the water takes months, literally, to reach the lake, which then hangs around for several years then finally dries up again. The land is so harsh, it takes a huge area to support a decent number of stock. Instead of number of animals per acre, it's number of acres per animal. True. Very different from NZ, my country of birth. Sorry, thread hijack over...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts