Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

180 Posts
If your S has the 215/55-17 tires, the SZ137 will be the correct fit instead:

192 Posts
So first trip in the snow is set for this weekend. Prior trips to WA have been in summer and fall but this time its winter.

Current conditions on Hwy 5 outside Ashland OR are - Chains Required. Picked up cable chains today that should be sufficient for driving on a maintained interstate during snow. Easy to install and remove.

Brand - SCC Performance Super Z6

When I return after the New Year, I'll post more pictures in the event I had to use the chains.

Be safe y'all.

192 Posts
Thanks. You're just required to carry them in Oregon in certain places. I've only ever used them on my other car once in 10 years.
Thank you for this post as well! I saw your mention that chains are required in OR. Checked the ODOT website for exact information. For 4X4 and AWD, although under specific conditions chains may not be required, they must be in the vehicle just in case. If $200 for once in ten years keeps the tires gripped to the interstate, that seems like a good investment to me.

I appreciate your posting about the Oregon requirement.

10 Posts
So first trip in the snow is set for this weekend. Prior trips to WA have been in summer and fall but this time its winter.

Current conditions on Hwy 5 outside Ashland OR are - Chains Required. Picked up cable chains today that should be sufficient for driving on a maintained interstate during snow. Easy to install and remove.

Brand - SCC Performance Super Z6

When I return after the New Year, I'll post more pictures in the event I had to use the chains.

Be safe y'all.

View attachment 1153
So how did these chains work out? Any damage to the wheel well? Did the chains themselves hold up?

39 Posts
So how did these chains work out? Any damage to the wheel well? Did the chains themselves hold up?
I used a set of cable chains (Quality Canadian Chain brand) on my seltos 2 weeks ago durring a crazy snow storm that we got. I got stuck at the bottom of a hill with 12" of fresh snow while picking up my co-worker. Got stuck at the bottom, threw on the chains and worked great. Didnt spin the tires, just a little bit of throttle and got me out. I used them twice, same place same scenario 4 days apart. Ran the chains for probably 20km total, still like new. Make sure to dry them and wd-40 them as soon as they are dry, dont let the chains sit in any water while not in use.

Seltos GT-line, (=SX), 2020 model, Mars Orange, 1.6L turbo, AWD
231 Posts
I used a set of cable chains (Quality Canadian Chain brand) on my seltos 2 weeks ago durring a crazy snow storm that we got. I got stuck at the bottom of a hill with 12" of fresh snow while picking up my co-worker. Got stuck at the bottom, threw on the chains and worked great. Didnt spin the tires, just a little bit of throttle and got me out. I used them twice, same place same scenario 4 days apart. Ran the chains for probably 20km total, still like new. Make sure to dry them and wd-40 them as soon as they are dry, dont let the chains sit in any water while not in use. View attachment 1686
Just to confirm the probable..? I assume you selected the diff lock setting for the time you were using the chains. Or, do you have that permanently selected when conditions like that are predominating - chains or no chains..? Just curious, as it is recommended the diff not be locked during normal use, so the on-demand AWD can do its thing only when needed, but I have gained an impression, possibly quite wrongly, that some drivers just leave it selected all the time, and are surprised to hear one should not do this.

39 Posts
Just to confirm the probable..? I assume you selected the diff lock setting for the time you were using the chains. Or, do you have that permanently selected when conditions like that are predominating - chains or no chains..? Just curious, as it is recommended the diff not be locked during normal use, so the on-demand AWD can do its thing only when needed, but I have gained an impression, possibly quite wrongly, that some drivers just leave it selected all the time, and are surprised to hear one should not do this.
I did not use the Diff Lock function either while attempting to get out after getting stuck, before chaining up, nor after putting the chains on. Iv'e only used the Diff Lock function once while In Moab, Utah on the Shafer Trail. At the time It didnt seem to make a difference since my Seltos did great with and without the use of it.

Seltos GT-line, (=SX), 2020 model, Mars Orange, 1.6L turbo, AWD
231 Posts
I did not use the Diff Lock function either while attempting to get out after getting stuck, before chaining up, nor after putting the chains on. Iv'e only used the Diff Lock function once while In Moab, Utah on the Shafer Trail. At the time It didnt seem to make a difference since my Seltos did great with and without the use of it.
Interesting. Well, ideally you should have had it on, if the conditions merited chain use, but actually, as it happens, and why you got away with not selecting it is because at take-off and slow speeds the whole thing tends to work effectively as AWD anyway, but as you speed up, the rear drive assistance would tend to fade away, especially if in Normal or Eco mode - not so much when in Sport mode, unless the wheels were actually slipping, which the chains would largely prevent. However, I doubt you would be in Sport mode when conditions are slippery. Again, ideally when in slippery conditions, laying down the power as gently as possible is the goal, and one of the virtues of automatic trannies. So the Eco mode, or selecting manual over-ride and using only 1st & 2nd gear would be the pick in these conditions, hence ideally also having the diff lock on. In Eco mode I have noticed the thrust to the rear wheels is reduced as soon as the vehicle is moving much at all - unless slipping, which as already mentioned, is largely prevented by the chains, so automatic AWD would not be getting much drive to the rear wheels without the diff lock on I suspect..

39 Posts
Interesting. Well, ideally you should have had it on, if the conditions merited chain use, but actually, as it happens, and why you got away with not selecting it is because at take-off and slow speeds the whole thing tends to work effectively as AWD anyway, but as you speed up, the rear drive assistance would tend to fade away, especially if in Normal or Eco mode - not so much when in Sport mode, unless the wheels were actually slipping, which the chains would largely prevent. However, I doubt you would be in Sport mode when conditions are slippery. Again, ideally when in slippery conditions, laying down the power as gently as possible is the goal, and one of the virtues of automatic trannies. So the Eco mode, or selecting manual over-ride and using only 1st & 2nd gear would be the pick in these conditions, hence ideally also having the diff lock on. In Eco mode I have noticed the thrust to the rear wheels is reduced as soon as the vehicle is moving much at all - unless slipping, which as already mentioned, is largely prevented by the chains, so automatic AWD would not be getting much drive to the rear wheels without the diff lock on I suspect..
If i get the chance again this year I'll try the diff lock in snow. I plan on putting Eibach lift springs and 3 mountain peak rated a/t tires on in the fall which could change the outcome from stock tires. We usualy dont get dumps of snow like this where I live, and only get snow in general maybe a few times a season.

10 Posts
I used a set of cable chains (Quality Canadian Chain brand) on my seltos 2 weeks ago durring a crazy snow storm that we got. I got stuck at the bottom of a hill with 12" of fresh snow while picking up my co-worker. Got stuck at the bottom, threw on the chains and worked great. Didnt spin the tires, just a little bit of throttle and got me out. I used them twice, same place same scenario 4 days apart. Ran the chains for probably 20km total, still like new. Make sure to dry them and wd-40 them as soon as they are dry, dont let the chains sit in any water while not in use. View attachment 1686
Thanks for this. A couple questions. How many miles or km did you drive in them? Are they holding up well? And no damage to wheel well or anything? Any scarcthes to the rims? Lastly, do you have a link to these chains?

39 Posts
Thanks for this. A couple questions. How many miles or km did you drive in them? Are they holding up well? And no damage to wheel well or anything? Any scarcthes to the rims? Lastly, do you have a link to these chains?
Drove about 20km on them so far, 2 uses, through 12" of powder, 1" of packed snow after a plow came by, and on straight pavement. They are like new, bo issues with them. No damage to the wheel well or the rims, there shouldnt be any if they are installed properly. I bought the chains off someone on facebook marketplace new in box for like 1/3 of the new cost from a store which included the spider bungies, so im not sure where to buy them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts