Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I recently got my Seltos SX Turbo. I like the car a lot and everything is working fine. However since day 1 I noticed a weird noise coming from the engine. You can hear it from outside or inside, but inside is clearer. It sounds like some sort of buzzing/whirring noise. It is most audible when I mildly accelerate to low rpm. It seems to me it might be related to the turbo, like the turbo spooling up. But it feels way too loud to me. I had turbo cars and none of then made this noise. It never goes away, even at higher rpm, but then it gets covered by the engine noise. It goes away when from a certain speed, I take off my foot from the gas pedal, but it comes back for a couple of seconds when the car downshift because it is slowing down. The day I got the car, I also test drive another one from the dealer lot, and it made the same sound. So I feel it is not an actual problem, but some sort of design. It is a bit annoying as it makes me feel I am driving a toy. What is your experience?

·
160 Posts
Hi everyone, I recently got my Seltos SX Turbo. I like the car a lot and everything is working fine. However since day 1 I noticed a weird noise coming from the engine. You can hear it from outside or inside, but inside is clearer. It sounds like some sort of buzzing/whirring noise. It is most audible when I mildly accelerate to low rpm. It seems to me it might be related to the turbo, like the turbo spooling up. But it feels way too loud to me. I had turbo cars and none of then made this noise. It never goes away, even at higher rpm, but then it gets covered by the engine noise. It goes away when from a certain speed, I take off my foot from the gas pedal, but it comes back for a couple of seconds when the car downshit because it is slowing down. The day I got the car, I also test drive another one from the dealer lot, and it made the same sound. So I feel it is not an actual problem, but some sort of design. It is a bit annoying as it makes me feel I am driving a toy. What is your experience?
Interesting noise. Seltos just turned 18K miles and have heard a similar sound.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting noise. Seltos just turned 18K miles and have heard a similar sound.
Thanks for the reply. My car has 350 miles, so brand new. I am also thinking that the noise might be the fuel injectors, but I am no expert.
Do you hear the sound all the time?

·
165 Posts
Hey @FrankMN can you share a video with us that captures this sound? It should help us figure out what exactly it could be. YouTube would be the best place to upload it and embed here by placing the video URL in a comment.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey @FrankMN can you share a video with us that captures this sound? It should help us figure out what exactly it could be. YouTube would be the best place to upload it and embed here by placing the video URL in a comment.
I did try, but is not really clear on video as it is not that loud and the background noise will cover it. I can try again. The sound could be compared to an old computer fan that spin a little off axes, at a constant speed. For this reason I am kind of leaning toward the idea of the fuel injectors as if was the turbo the rotation should change speed, correct?

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you heard the sound recently or has it always been making it like @FrankMN?
I have been hearing it since day 1. Even a different new sx turbo from the dealer lot had the same noise. This makes me less nervous as I think it is not really a problem, just an annoying thing that I would love if it could fixed

·
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I recently got my Seltos SX Turbo. I like the car a lot and everything is working fine. However since day 1 I noticed a weird noise coming from the engine. You can hear it from outside or inside, but inside is clearer. It sounds like some sort of buzzing/whirring noise. It is most audible when I mildly accelerate to low rpm. It seems to me it might be related to the turbo, like the turbo spooling up. But it feels way too loud to me. I had turbo cars and none of then made this noise. It never goes away, even at higher rpm, but then it gets covered by the engine noise. It goes away when from a certain speed, I take off my foot from the gas pedal, but it comes back for a couple of seconds when the car downshift because it is slowing down. The day I got the car, I also test drive another one from the dealer lot, and it made the same sound. So I feel it is not an actual problem, but some sort of design. It is a bit annoying as it makes me feel I am driving a toy. What is your experience?

·
8 Posts
Hi, I have a 1.6 turbo Seltos with 7000 km. When the car is first started it sounds like a very noisy lifter or even like diesel knock and the car developed a whirring sound (like a toy for sure) from about 3000 km. The whirring changes with the revs and does not affect performance. I took it to the dealer a few days ago for a tech to look at and he deduced its likely the high pressure pump that makes the noise at cold start and is also responsible for the whirring noise. Tech advised a stethescope test will be done when it goes into the shop May 5. Works just like the old trick of taking a long screwdriver, putting the tip of the screwdriver on the point you suspect the noise is coming from, and put your ear against the end of the handle...you can hear heaps. Also have a rattle in the HUD that will be dealt to. Cheers.

·
3 Posts
Hi, I have a 1.6 turbo Seltos with 7000 km. When the car is first started it sounds like a very noisy lifter or even like diesel knock and the car developed a whirring sound (like a toy for sure) from about 3000 km. The whirring changes with the revs and does not affect performance. I took it to the dealer a few days ago for a tech to look at and he deduced its likely the high pressure pump that makes the noise at cold start and is also responsible for the whirring noise. Tech advised a stethescope test will be done when it goes into the shop May 5. Works just like the old trick of taking a long screwdriver, putting the tip of the screwdriver on the point you suspect the noise is coming from, and put your ear against the end of the handle...you can hear heaps. Also have a rattle in the HUD that will be dealt to. Cheers.
Hi there. Did your tech confirm if it's the pressure pump? That's exactly the sound my turbo is making too. Mine's about 3 months/1700km and about a month and a half ago, the whirring noise started. Like you said, it's not affecting performance at all, but the noise is definitely there. When I bought the car, I was very surprised by how quiet the engine was, and then one day the whirring noise became very noticeable at low revs. I'll try to record a video of it to see if it's actually the same sound and post here soon.

·
8 Posts
Took the car to dealer to check the rattle in HUD and the dreaded whirring toy noise. They advised they checked another 1.6 turbo and it had same noise.. their HUD rattle fix failed miserably. Gave me a line the car was still running in, at 7000 km I very much doubt that. Regrettably the other car they compared mine with was not there as I wanted to compare myself. Car goes back for 10000km service soon and this time I want "show me" evidence that the whirring us normal. Before then, I'm going to check another one or two 1.6 turbos as well. Basically the only thing the dropkicks did was inflate the tires. I will try to record the noise and post later. Cheers.

·
1 Posts
Hi mate, we just picked up our 2021 Seltos GT-line (same as SX turbo for American viewers) and have a very noticable buzzing noise from the engine that is very similar to what you describe. Most obvious when road noise is less, like when taking off from a standing start or under deceleration as you slow down. Tried it in neutral and the noise is there, so definitely seems engine related.

I don't remember hearing it in another GT-line we test drove but that was a couple of months ago. I'm going to mention it to the dealer when it goes in for the 1500km free inspection but can you please keep us updated on how you go with yours. I will also let you guys know if I have any news.

Edit: went back to the car dealer and salesman came for a drive with me. He said the noise did not sound normal. Also drove their demo Seltos GT and it did not make any noise. The salesman is getting service to contact me and we'll see how it goes.

·
18 Posts
Hi mate, we just picked up our 2021 Seltos GT-line (same as SX turbo for American viewers) and have a very noticable buzzing noise from the engine that is very similar to what you describe. Most obvious when road noise is less, like when taking off from a standing start or under deceleration as you slow down. Tried it in neutral and the noise is there, so definitely seems engine related.

I don't remember hearing it in another GT-line we test drove but that was a couple of months ago. I'm going to mention it to the dealer when it goes in for the 1500km free inspection but can you please keep us updated on how you go with yours. I will also let you guys know if I have any news.

Edit: went back to the car dealer and salesman came for a drive with me. He said the noise did not sound normal. Also drove their demo Seltos GT and it did not make any noise. The salesman is getting service to contact me and we'll see how it goes.
Keep me up to date on that. I Pick mine up Saturday

·
3 Posts
I finally managed to get a good video of the noise, which I didn't hear at all when I walked next to a Seltos SX starting up in a parking lot a couple days ago. I'll try to get a video of the sound inside the car today if I have time.
We've had 3 Kia/Hyundais over the last decade or so, and none of them have made that rattling/clicking noise from the video. Next weekend I'm bringing it in for that transmission/clutch recall, so I'll have them check this out too.

·
3 Posts
Got a recording of it inside the car too. You'll have to turn up the volume to hear, but there's definitely a puttering noise that gets much louder/faster as the revs increase. Oddly enough, it's not very loud in the video, but it's very noticeable when driving. Is this the noise others are hearing too?

·
160 Posts
I finally managed to get a good video of the noise, which I didn't hear at all when I walked next to a Seltos SX starting up in a parking lot a couple days ago. I'll try to get a video of the sound inside the car today if I have time.
We've had 3 Kia/Hyundais over the last decade or so, and none of them have made that rattling/clicking noise from the video. Next weekend I'm bringing it in for that transmission/clutch recall, so I'll have them check this out too.

Sounds about as loud as my MGB!

·
1 Posts
Hey @FrankMN can you share a video with us that captures this sound? It should help us figure out what exactly it could be. YouTube would be the best place to upload it and embed here by placing the video URL in
Interesting noise. Seltos just turned 18K miles and have heard a
I have the same problem brought it dealer they said they checked it out they said they could not duplicate the problem gave them video. They had my car for 4 days did nothing problem not solved

·
8 Posts

Hi there, My 1.6 turbo Seltos just had its first 10000 km service at which time the dealer had another go at fixing the HUD rattle and the dreaded whirring noise that can be heard from inside the car. Apparently the HUD rattle is from insude the unit in which case they need to replace the whole thing. They have determined the whirring noice is the high pressure fuel pump that sits on top left of the motor. Regrettably they could not fix either issue at the time as the parts need to be ordered and shipped from Korea. I expect a couple of months wait for these to turn up and then we find out if their diagnosis is correct. Will keep you updated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts