Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went for my first oil change on my 2022 SX Turbo. Nearby dealership where I did not buy the car. Nice location, nearby new showroom and service facility.

So only at 2000 miles/6 months - I ask what oil they put in. Service guy says we put 0w-20 full synthetic in all newer model Kias. This is what Kia has ask us to do. OK, but I say "I think the oil cap says 5W-30" (it does). But he insists he is going from a KIa to dealership service bulletin/campaign to do this. I'll give you a copy of it to read if you want. They use bulk oil for all cars. If you want 5W-30, we can do that, but we have to go out and get it and it will take extra time. That's very odd to me. I am sure other Kias with turbo take the 5W-30. The manual also says 5W-30 for the 1.6T engine. About $100 for this service, fine, everything was good, but I was bothered by the oil weight conflict.

He gives me the letter with my bill, it's from Kia and all it says is that Kia recommends full synthetic for all cars, dated March 2021. This makes sense to me, no mention of oil weight though. He essentially lied/misled me. Why would they buck the specific Kia specification?

I don't abuse the car, I change the oil very regularly, low miles. Question - do I, or should I care? The dealer called me the next day to ask how my service was. Great, but I think you guy put the wrong weight oil in my car, it conflicted with the owners manual. She said she'd pass it on, but I am sure that was that.

They obviously do this to maximize profit. If it wasn't a hassle, I would do it myself. They also did a service campaign for a kinked exhaust line, I was not having any issues. Got the Kia letter in the mail when I got home from the dealer that day.

I live in PA where the temps are not unusually hot or cold.

·
Super Moderator
2022 SX Turbo - Gravity Grey / Burgundy Interior
325 Posts
turbos spin at 100's of thousands of RPM's and require the heavier oil to ensure good lubrication.
I always try to use a turbo certified full synth oil in a turbo engine and always use what is recommended by the manufacturer. I'd be making them re-do that oil change for free...
I've often been known to go out and buy my own Amsoil and bring it in for a dealer oil change on previous cars I've owned...

·
🌟2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
19 Posts
Kia Corporate told me 5w30 for the 1.6 turbo. I came across the same problem with the dealership putting the wrong oil in. They put 5w20 in my car.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kia Corporate told me 5w30 for the 1.6 turbo. I came across the same problem with the dealership putting the wrong oil in. They put 5w20 in my car.
I got a call from the dealership next day and told them everything was great, but they put the wrong oil in my car. Never heard back. Got a survey from Kia and told them the exact specifics, gave the dealer 10 on everything else, just that I was worried they didn't follow the spec. I am sure 99.99% of customers pay no attention to this, but we obviously do. I don't want problems down the road. The guy lied to me that the Kia document told them to do it - doesn't mention oil weight at all, I have a copy of it. Just full synthetic shift.

Called my purchasing dealership which was recently sold and did not have Sat. hours. They do now and will honor the first free oil change (they are 20 miles away, but I'll go). Confirmed they stock 5W-30 and have it in stock and they do. So stupid I have to do this twice, but it'll give me peace of mind.

·
93 Posts
Yes it's a little disturbing on the lack of knowledge from some KIA dealers, had somewhat the same experience on my first n/c service on my 2021 Seltos. I asked advisor what oil they use, she informed me it was normal 20 w, I told her that KIA recommends 5w 30 synthetic, she informed me that it would be an additional charge for synthetic. I request that her service manager give me a call which he did and we had pleasant discussion, he informed me that he looked into it and I was correct and said there would be no additional charge oh wow. I do my own service now and have no fear of warranty implication due to the fact that some dealerships seem to be very incompetent even on simple maintenance :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts