Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From Key fob: disappointingly short range and no full duplex communication. There is no indicator on the fob that the Seltos started or not!

From KIA Access App: unreliable, high latency. It was very warm today and while my wife was checking out at Walmart, I opened my KIA Access app and pressed the Remote Start. When we got to the car, the engine was not running and of course it was baking inside. When we got home, I opened my email app and there was an email from KIA America with the subject “Climate Control Start Unsuccessful” and my car could not be started! I had full 5G signal on my phone. KIA probably uses a low bandwidth service (UDP protocol.?) on the cellular modem of the Seltos.

One last thing, when you remote start your Seltos, there is no indication that the engine is running except that you hear the engine is running when you are near it. Some manufacturers turn the parking lights on and when you enter (open the driver’s door or any door), the engine turns off - in the case of a Subaru I’ve owned 5 years ago. Am I missing any configuration setting to have the parking light turn on when a remote start is engaged?

·
136 Posts
From Key fob: disappointingly short range and no full duplex communication. There is no indicator on the fob that the Seltos started or not!

From KIA Access App: unreliable, high latency. It was very warm today and while my wife was checking out at Walmart, I opened my KIA Access app and pressed the Remote Start. When we got to the car, the engine was not running and of course it was baking inside. When we got home, I opened my email app and there was an email from KIA America with the subject “Climate Control Start Unsuccessful” and my car could not be started! I had full 5G signal on my phone. KIA probably uses a low bandwidth service (UDP protocol.?) on the cellular modem of the Seltos.

One last thing, when you remote start you Seltos, there is no indication that the engine is running except that you hear the engine is running when you are near it. Some manufacturers turn the parking lights on and when you enter (open the driver’s door or any door), the engine turns off - in the case of a Subaru I’ve owned 5 years ago. Am I missing any configuration setting to have the parking light turn on when a remote start is engaged?
My best guess is that the modem is operating via 3GPP LTE-M. Would be difficult to find the exact Cat spec but whatever it is, it’s cheap enough that Kia doesn’t even notion towards in-car wifi with the setup as-is.

And for visual confirmation, you’re definitely left in the dark for remote start. Kinda sucks..

·
196 Posts
Factory remote starts are the very basic money can buy.I have used Idatalink from Germany (with the two way communication meaning the light on the remote and the siganl lights on the car flashed every 3 seconds) on several cars and they are top notch and about the same price as factory ones.I am thinking of dumping the factory one for sure.A friend of mine had one go bad on a Hyundai in about three years and he had to pay for a new one as it only had a 3 yr. warranty and not five like we have in Canada.I will confirm that on the Seltos on my next oil change.I think it is still holds true today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts