Kia Seltos Forum banner

transmission cooler

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Daiginn 
#1 ·
On my 2021 Seltos SX, can I put in a tranny cooler?

#7 ·
Quick lesson on transmissions! All clutches in any vehicle are used to connect the transmission speed to the engine by the use of clutch plates, thus they are all dry! The transmission contains the speed gears) however, requires a special fluid produced for the series transmission it goes in, thus called transmission fluid allowing the speed gears to shift from different speeds ie, 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears etc. In automatics however, the torque converter (it having fluid as well) is the connection between the transmission and engine. Your comment absolutely makes no sense once you understand the purpose of clutches and torque converters.

#9 ·
Clutches CONNECT the actual transmission gears to the engine. Thus clutches are dry, but the transmission has fluid! Clutches are only used to to do this function. This is why you dont want to hold your car on a hill with the clutch engaged, it gets hot and not the transmission as it, and not the transmission first gear gets the excess torque. And my request pertains to the speed side (with fluid) and NOT the dry clutch side.

#10 · (Edited)
You seem to be really confused. The Seltos has a dry clutch DCT. Manual transmissions are generally dry clutch. In both cases, oils will detrimentally affect how the clutch operates. My Audi has a wet clutch DCT. The K5 has a wet clutch DCT. Wet clutches are a real thing and are used in various devices such automatic transmission torque converter lock ups, motorcycles, dirt bikes, and industrial equipment. They are oil bathed clutches, hince the term wet clutch. Dry clutches are a real thing and are used for manual car transmissions among other things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.