Kia Seltos Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
14 Posts
I'm so Glad that I've read these posts! Called my dealer and asked, and they confirmed the transmission problems. They told me that I NEED to come in and the Transmission needs to be Reprogrammed. I haven't experienced any problems yet, but I'm sure glad I called.
So glad you called your dealer and are getting yours reprogrammed. I hope it will prevent you from having to deal with this!

·
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
219 Posts
I just picked up my Seltos EX in Ontario. Is this an issues across all models or just the EX premium? I've got less than 200Kms on it right now with no issues. But it's not very comforting knowing that I could have a transmission issue while driving around.
it's related to any model that has the IVT (also used in the Soul, Forte & now in the Rio)

·
14 Posts
I just picked up my seltos EX in Ontario. Is this an issues across all models or just the EX premium? I've got less than 200Kms on it right now with no issues. But it's not very comforting knowing that I could have a transmission issue while driving around.
I’m in the US and have the EX model. An EX premium trim is not sold here. If I were you, I would call your dealer and ask if there is a transmission update for your vehicle. I had absolutely no warning signs until my transmission suddenly died on me.

·
14 Posts
I've only had the car about 7 weeks. It had 2980 km on it. I had it towed Friday past. They are saying they might have it 3 to 4 weeks. Waiting for a shipment of transmissions. Looks like they are going to need them.
I’m so sorry you are going through this, too. I hope your replacement comes in faster than mine.

·
2021 Seltos Ex
12 Posts
I’m in the US and have the EX model. An EX premium trim is not sold here. If I were you, I would call your dealer and ask if there is a transmission update for your vehicle. I had absolutely no warning signs until my transmission suddenly died on me.
I just called them and all they did was check if there is a recall on the vehicle(which there isn’t). However I see a TSB on dec 3 that mentioned a transmission update as part of a “voluntary emission update”. (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185020-0002.pdf). Not sure what voluntary means in this case? Only if I have issue will they update it?

·
14 Posts
I just called them and all they did was check if there is a recall on the vehicle(which there isn’t). However I see a TSB on dec 3 that mentioned a transmission update as part of a “voluntary emission update”. (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185020-0002.pdf). Not sure what voluntary means in this case? Only if I have issue will they update it?
Yes, that is it - I’m not sure why it is only a voluntary campaign and not a recall. Maybe someone else can explain. The letter I received mentioned it was being offered for anyone who would like the update/has the specified model. I would check on that and get the update if you can. My dealership is going to update mine when the new transmission arrives.

·
2021 Kia Seltos Ex Premium
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just picked up my seltos EX in Ontario. Is this an issues across all models or just the EX premium? I've got less than 200Kms on it right now with no issues. But it's not very comforting knowing that I could have a transmission issue while driving around.
Good question. I don't know if this issue relates only to the EX P. Enjoy your car because you should. I know that I did. I'm not sure going forward, after the new transmission is installed, if I will feel the same. Maybe in time, if no further issues appear that will pass. I will remain optimistic.
Yes, that is it - I’m not sure why it is only a voluntary campaign and not a recall. Maybe someone else can explain. The letter I received mentioned it was being offered for anyone who would like the update/has the specified model. I would check on that and get the update if you can. My dealership is going to update mine when the new transmission arrives.
I think it's crazy that it is voluntary! I'm in Canada and I have not heard of or received that notification. It certainly was not mentioned to me when I was told they would be replacing my transmission. I was told that mine is the first at their dealership.

·
14 Posts
Good question. I don't know if this issue relates only to the EX P. Enjoy your car because you should. I know that I did. I'm not sure going forward, after the new transmission is installed, if I will feel the same. Maybe in time, if no further issues appear that will pass. I will remain optimistic.

I think it's crazy that it is voluntary! I'm in Canada and I have not heard of or received that notification. It certainly was not mentioned to me when I was told they would be replacing my transmission. I was told that mine is the first at their dealership.
This isn’t a great picture, but here is the letter I received from Kia.

·
2021 Kia Seltos Ex Premium
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you. I'm going to print it and show it to the service department.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
86 Posts
Same here! I have an appointment with my dealership tomorrow. Here's what I don't understand. I see a lot of Transmissions failing on new Seltos's. But which Transmission, IVT or DCT? Can't be happening to both. When I asked the Service dept about it, they confirmed the problems, but didn't say it was happening to both. I neglected to ask. But the service manager looked my car, Seltos SX Turbo and told me I needed to bring it in for "Reprogramming". I'm sure as hell going to ask,
Does anyone have a failed SX Turbo Dual Clutch Transmission, the only ones I've been seeing is the IVT's.
UPDATE: Just came back from the dealership for Reprogramming my Transmission. I ask the following:
1. Transmission Malfunction IVT or DCT? He said BOTH.
2. The Reprogramming fixes the Trans Malfunctions? He does Not Know. He feels it doesn't have to do with the Failures, but not confirmed.
If anyone else finds out if the Reprogramming is connected with the Failures, I would certainly like to know. Good news is that it's all covered under warranty.

·
2021 Kia Seltos SX - Gravity Grey
19 Posts
From what I have read the IVT have some instances of full failure and needing to be replaced entirely. There are even a few on here that have said they have experienced full failure and needed replacement. The DCT problems seem to stem from some shudders/hard shifting and overheating at low speeds. There were also a few instances of the DCT only shifting into even gears and skipping odd ones. I personally haven't seen anyone saying their DCT needed full replacement like the IVT but it's certainly possible. There seem to be updates to both transmissions to help with each of their specific issues.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
86 Posts
From what I have read the IVT have some instances of full failure and needing to be replaced entirely. There are even a few on here that have said they have experienced full failure and needed replacement. The DCT problems seem to stem from some shudders/hard shifting and overheating at low speeds. There were also a few instances of the DCT only shifting into even gears and skipping odd ones. I personally haven't seen anyone saying their DCT needed full replacement like the IVT but it's certainly possible. There seem to be updates to both transmissions to help with each of their specific issues.
Thanks for pointing out the Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT), not CVT. The folks who have the Dual Clutch, may want to see an excellent YouTube review done by SavageGeese. He points quite accurately the jumps and jitters when the car is cold and moving from 1st to 2nd etc. has shudders. I've had mine now for 8 months and I'm quite Used to it, and very happy with it.

·
2021 Kia Seltos SX - Gravity Grey
19 Posts
IVT, CVT, basically the same thing anyways. I just wrote it because I was reading up on what was going on with them so I just had the IVT term in my head. I've been getting used to the DCT as well. Coming from a CVT before I absolutely love the acceleration and response this thing provides. Certainly a little awkward at low speeds but so was my last car but it was also bad at higher speeds to big plus here. The overheating thing is the only one that I'm not super thrilled with. Shouldn't be too much of a problem the way I drive but I have this one gravel driveway that I prefer to back into and I can always smell the transmission afterwards and the temp indicator certainly goes up several notches but never gets into the danger zone. Still a little bit of a bummer to see this thing has zero off-road capacity to truly speak of, except for maybe flat fields and sand dunes where you want to keep your speed up anyways. Not that I was going to take it over the rocks anyways. Probably try to take it in within the next week or two and get the logic updated, hopefully stave off any issues that could come down the road from not doing it.

·
4 Posts
I had the same problem at the end of December. My Seltos EX stopped accelerating on the freeway at 3300 miles (in the US). It's been in the shop for 30+ days and they keep pushing back the date of the transmission. This sounds like it's quite a bit of a problem. I liked the car but if this is expected multiple times, should I lemon the car? I'm hoping the replacement works but this is very inconvenient and very irritating.

Any advice here would be much appreciated about how people are approaching it.

·
1 Posts
I had the same problem at the end of December. My Seltos EX stopped accelerating on the freeway at 3300 miles (in the US). It's been in the shop for 30+ days and they keep pushing back the date of the transmission. This sounds like it's quite a bit of a problem. I liked the car but if this is expected multiple times, should I lemon the car? I'm hoping the replacement works but this is very inconvenient and very irritating.

My Seltos EX had just over 2k miles when the transmission failed completely. Going to be over a month before it is repaired.

·
14 Posts

It sounds like you are going through the exact same thing as me. My EX has been in the shop with a transmission failure for 52 days as of today. It is beyond frustrating. I’ll keep you posted on what happens with mine.

·
2021 KIA Seltos SX Turbo
86 Posts
For those of you who have the DCT Dual Clutch Transmission on the SX here's some info about the transmission being Reprogrammed. What I'm shocked about they knew this as far back as a year ago, but it did have an Update.
From "The Quint", I believe it's Indian based.

(Updated after clarifications from Kia)

A few days ago,”The Quint” had reported that some owners of the Kia Seltos SX with the 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine and seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission had been facing issues with their cars, which were being fixed with a software update.

Kia has clarified about the software update.

Two senior company officials we spoke to said that a few DCT automatic Kia Seltos owners had faced issues of the transmission overheating in bumper-to-bumper traffic and a couple of others had issue with skipping gears – where the transmission skipped odd gears and only selected even gears which has been reported on this Team-BHP thread.

These owners who had complained about the issue to their respective dealers were called in for a software update specifically for the transmission, that Kia claims takes care of these issues.

Here's the link:

·
4 Posts
It sounds like you are going through the exact same thing as me. My EX has been in the shop with a transmission failure for 52 days as of today. It is beyond frustrating. I’ll keep you posted on what happens with mine.
After 36 days, the new transmission arrived. The dealership is saying they are "hoping" to be done by mid march. I was okay with the fact that I had to wait more than a month for the part to arrive but the fact that they have my car and the part and are just staring at it and not making any effort to get me back in my own car is extremely frustrating.

·
14 Posts
After 36 days, the new transmission arrived. The dealership is saying they are "hoping" to be done by mid march. I was okay with the fact that I had to wait more than a month for the part to arrive but the fact that they have my car and the part and are just staring at it and not making any effort to get me back in my own car is extremely frustrating.
My Seltos was finally returned to me yesterday, 61 days after the transmission failed. The transmission was replaced and the software updated. It’s only been a day, but it is driving as normal again. Hopefully, it remains that way! For anyone following the issue, my Seltos EX was manufactured in 2/20. I purchased the vehicle in 5/20. It had 5,800 miles on it when the transmission failed without warning.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts