Kia Seltos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello it might be I am missing something, but I noticed that if I turn off the car (when I get home for example) before I set the gear to P, the car is not actually off, and when I get out I get a loud beep. It is a bit annoying as in the moment I park the car, the auto stop (ISG) turns the engine off it self. At that point I first have to switch to P (the engine goes back on) and then turn it off again manually. Is there any way to avoid the engine to go back on?

·
2021 S Turbo - Gravity Gray
26 Posts
I noticed this as well. There’s no way around this other than the disengage the stop and go system. Seems to be something they should have thought of. Why would the car start back up if put in park?

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wondering how other car manufacturers work? I don't have anything to compare it to
No idea, my old car (Stinger) had the drive by wire and goes to P automatically when turned off.
The other "problem" I am having with the Seltos is even if I turn off the ISG (Auto stop), I must switch to P before I turn the engine off, or the car remain in "accessory" mode, consuming the battery, even after locked. I do know this was also a problem in lower trims of the Stinger, with a "conventional" mechanical shift as in the Seltos.

·
2021 SX Turbo, Neptune Blue
59 Posts
Hmmm...never noticed this as I always have the ISG off. I absolutely refuse to use that BS..

·
2021 S Turbo - Gravity Gray
26 Posts
Hmmm...never noticed this as I always have the ISG off. I absolutely refuse to use that BS..
How do you remember to turn it off every time you get in the car? I just stopped bothering. They should make a way to turn that off by default in the settings.

·
2021 SX Turbo, Neptune Blue
59 Posts
How do you remember to turn it off every time you get in the car? I just stopped bothering. They should make a way to turn that off by default in the settings.
It quickly became a habit for me as I despise it- in any car. It’s not going to save the Earth or save anyone anything notable in terms of fuel economy. It’s just a hoax and everyone knows it. Of course this is not KIA’s fault, just government regulations.

It certainly would be nice to permanently disable it. I know some people have rewired other vehicles or permanently engaged the on/off button by wedging it with something like an old credit card.

·
75 Posts
Hello it might be I am missing something, but I noticed that if I turn off the car (when I get home for example) before I set the gear to P, the car is not actually off, and when I get out I get a loud beep. It is a bit annoying as in the moment I park the car, the auto stop (ISG) turns the engine off it self. At that point I first have to switch to P (the engine goes back on) and then turn it off again manually. Is there any way to avoid the engine to go back on?
You're not supposed to turn the car off before placing the car in park. People have been killed because that practice. I don't understand why one needs that.

As far as the start/stop system turning the car back on when put into park, only turn start/stop off prevents this from happening. This probably is to prevent people from leaving their car thinking that it is turned off.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're not supposed to turn the car off before placing the car in park. People have been killed because that practice. I don't understand why one needs that.

As far as the start/stop system turning the car back on when put into park, only turn start/stop off prevents this from happening. This probably is to prevent people from leaving their car thinking that it is turned off.
Thanks for the reply. I understand the danger in doing this practice, but what I was referring to is a bit different. My "problem" is that the car battery doesn't turn completely off, if I switch to P after I turned the engine off. It is not something I am doing on purpose, but sometimes it happened by mistake, or other reasons. I found myself to have pressed the button to turn the engine off, before put it in P. Doing so the car is "secured" with parking brakes applied, etc, and I get out. However, I then realize (by a loud beep) that the the car is still in "accessory" mode for some reason, and if I do nothing (turning the engine back on and then off), the morning after the battery will be dead. To me this sound a bit unnecessary and quite annoying.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply. I understand the danger in doing this practice, but what I was referring to is a bit different. My "problem" is that the car battery doesn't turn completely off, if I switch to P after I turned the engine off. It is not something I am doing on purpose, but sometimes it happened by mistake, or other reasons. I found myself to have pressed the button to turn the engine off, before put it in P. Doing so the car is "secured" with parking brakes applied, etc, and I get out. However, I then realize (by a loud beep) that the the car is still in "accessory" mode for some reason, and if I do nothing (turning the engine back on and then off), the morning after the battery will be dead. To me this sound a bit unnecessary and quite annoying.
I would like to add that if by mistake I turn the engine off before switch to P (by mistake), the dash instantaneously tells me to switch to P to avoid any problem. Awesome, then I do what suggested, but the car stays in "accessory" mode (as written on top of dash), and requires me to turn the engine on and off again. What's the point of that?

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What am I missing here? Why attempt to shut off the car before putting it in P?
What would be the difference in parking the car, turning the engine off and than putting it in to P. The car let you do that, but it then stays in accessory mode, draining the battery.

·
2 Posts
What would be the difference in parking the car, turning the engine off and than putting it in to P. The car let you do that, but it then stays in accessory mode, draining the battery.
I've been driving for years and it never occurred to me to start or stop the car in anything but P... so the question seems odd. It seems that the car should be at "rest" before stopping or starting and that is only achieved by having it in P.

Or as I originally said, maybe I am missing something here!

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the reply. I understand that this "issue" never occurred to you and you find it odd someone asks, but I was only pointing out an issue I am having that is, in my opinion, quite annoying. In the original post I was talking more specifically about the ISG turning off the car when arrived at home, but then it would restart when I shift to P. If the car is stopped and the engine is already off (due to ISG), why can't I simply shift to P at that point avoiding the engine to turn back on again? It seem quite not necessary to me. I can turn the ISG off (as many suggested), but I believe that, doing so, simply circumnavigates the problem. And frankly I do like and use the ISG. I believe that, once the car is parked and the engine is off, I should be "allowed" to turn "the rest of the car" (all electrical) off, without having to turn the engine back on.

·
75 Posts
For issues that annoy me, I just stop doing. Cars are not engineered for everyone's idiosyncrasies. It sounds like you are improperly shuting the car down and you're upset that it causes the car to function in a way you don't desire. Simple solution is to shut it down properly. Maybe that's what it's trying to make you do. Worry about the things you can change or control.

Here's something you can try. Most modern cars have staged shut offs and pre-activations of various ECUs. You likely worrying about a thing that isn't a thing. If you put the car in park, lock the doors, and walk away, most cars will shut down modules as it determines they are no longer needed, battery voltage is too low, or it feels you should not do. Shut the car down and walk away. Come back in 20 minutes and see if it's still active. I'm willing to bet, whatever you're complaining about has been dealt with automatically. Just like when you unlock a car, it triggers some modules in anticipation of being started.

Do the test, if it passes don't worry.

What are you actually expecting an owner community to give you? My advice is to operate the vehicle in accordance to the owner's manual. It is easier for you to program yourself to shut down properly than it is for you to program the interactions of the pcm, body electronics, and CAN bus gateway. What it is doing is not a defect. You're doing something outside of the recommendation of the manufacturer. What do you want to hear from us?

I have cars of different brands and I wish they all did things in an identical way most pleasing to me. They don't. Every time I sit down, I need to adjust to what I am in because they surely don't adjust to me. The VW manual can be shut down as I brake into my parking location. The Seltos likes to be shut down properly. The Audi will allow you to mishandle the shut down sequence as you do without leaving the ACC On. I still don't use your method, but do as they instruct me to do.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For issues that annoy me, I just stop doing. Cars are not engineered for everyone's idiosyncrasies. It sounds like you are improperly shuting the car down and you're upset that it causes the car to function in a way you don't desire. Simple solution is to shut it down properly. Maybe that's what it's trying to make you do. Worry about the things you can change or control.

Here's something you can try. Most modern cars have staged shut offs and pre-activations of various ECUs. You likely worrying about a thing that isn't a thing. If you put the car in park, lock the doors, and walk away, most cars will shut down modules as it determines they are no longer needed, battery voltage is too low, or it feels you should not do. Shut the car down and walk away. Come back in 20 minutes and see if it's still active. I'm willing to bet, whatever you're complaining about has been dealt with automatically. Just like when you unlock a car, it triggers some modules in anticipation of being started.

Do the test, if it passes don't worry.

What are you actually expecting an owner community to give you? My advice is to operate the vehicle in accordance to the owner's manual. It is easier for you to program yourself to shut down properly than it is for you to program the interactions of the pcm, body electronics, and CAN bus gateway. What it is doing is not a defect. You're doing something outside of the recommendation of the manufacturer. What do you want to hear from us?

I have cars of different brands and I wish they all did things in an identical way most pleasing to me. They don't. Every time I sit down, I need to adjust to what I am in because they surely don't adjust to me. The VW manual can be shut down as I brake into my parking location. The Seltos likes to be shut down properly. The Audi will allow you to mishandle the shut down sequence as you do without leaving the ACC On. I still don't use your method, but do as they instruct me to do.
Thanks. I would like to point out that I am turning the car off in the correct way. I am just saying that it makes no sense for the engine to go back on once it is already off (ISG), simply because I am moving the stick. I am feeling I am not explaining my self correctly. The original post was mostly related to this issue, but it got carried away. It doesn't matter. People seems to get upset if someone is asking questions that are outside their routine. I read every single page of the owner's manual. I have done that for every single vehicle I had owned. I was just reporting a story. I don't expect anything from this community in terms of "fixing" my issue. If there's a problem I can go back to Kia to have it fixed. But it would be nice to see someone trying to understand the situation instead imparting instructions. This is a forum, people exchange comments. I am not looking for a solution, I can live with the way the Seltos acts. Again, it was just a story. But someone is taking it personally.
So let's close this thread please, as apparently quite useless to most.
Thanks

·
75 Posts
I don't think people get upset about asking but it begs the question: "what do you want us to tell you or give you?"

We heard what you said. I don't think anyone here can make the situation different for you or address it to your satisfaction. What do you want us to do?

If this is a problem for you, explain it to your dealership's service department. We can't advise you beyond that. I don't have the right tools to code Hyundai/Kia controllers (I do have them for VW/Audi cars). Frankly, I don't think what you want can be coded in. I can't help you beyond sending you to your dealer. I can tell you that the dealer can't fix what isn't broken in thier eyes. This isn't a car problem. This sounds like an expectation issue.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think people get upset about asking but it begs the question: "what do you want us to tell you or give you?"

We heard what you said. I don't think anyone here can make the situation different for you or address it to your satisfaction. What do you want us to do?

If this is a problem for you, explain it to your dealership's service department. We can't advise you beyond that. I don't have the right tools to code Hyundai/Kia controllers (I do have them for VW/Audi cars). Frankly, I don't think what you want can be coded in. I can't help you beyond sending you to your dealer. I can tell you that the dealer can't fix what isn't broken in thier eyes. This isn't a car problem. This sounds like an expectation issue.
I don't want anything, I am asking for nothing. I am satisfied with the car. I am simply talking, chatting, commenting. I never asked for a solution and I am not expecting it from anyone here, as the car is what it is. I don't want to recode my car. I don't care to hear a set of "big words" instructions that I won't be able to do (or care to do). As you said it's a owner's forum. Not a technical conference on how to do fancy things. I simply reported a fact. Right or wrong it is a fact, maybe to me only. Some people got it straight away and joined in with "normal" and well-appreciated comments, that maybe got nowhere (but that's the point of a forum). Others only point fingers, schooling everyone else (in this and also in many other threads) on what must be done, in what is right and wrong, simply because they believe that their decennial routine is a dogma, that everyone else should follow. But I guess every forum is full of these "experts".
As said, please let's close this thread (no idea if I can do that or who actually can), as it is turning into something that was not intended to.
I want to thank every "humble" commenter for their participation and to apologize to those "Sunday afternoon chief mechanical engineers of the Kia racing department" if some comments were not up to standard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts