Kia Seltos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried search and didn’t find anything (at least on my phone here). Had a rock chip in my windshield that, overnight, turned into a massive crack. Needs a full windshield replacement.

Kia says that they don’t have ANY replacement windshields for the SX model in the US. It’s a different piece of glass because of the forward camera and requires recalibration. So I called Safelite and they had the “compatible” windshield in stock. Took it in this morning and dropped the keys.

5 hours later, they called with some problems. Apparently the vehicles system is not taking the recalibration and therefore the car won’t have the active safety features which my insurance knows I have (I don’t wanna risk driving if I know they’re disabled). The guy here in Fort Collins was very apologetic and kind but said he might want to keep the car for a day or two because he needs to see if there’s a fix that anyone knows about within their company. If there isn’t, he’s gonna try to get a piece of glass from Kia - which as far as I know doesn’t exist.

Has anyone tried to get replacement glass from Kia or Safelite? This all seems very strange... why wouldn’t there be replacements? And how difficult could it be to make the correct glass?

·
119 Posts
So I tried search and didn’t find anything (at least on my phone here). Had a rock chip in my windshield that, overnight, turned into a massive crack. Needs a full windshield replacement.

Kia says that they don’t have ANY replacement windshields for the SX model in the US. It’s a different piece of glass because of the forward camera and requires recalibration. So I called Safelite and they had the “compatible” windshield in stock. Took it in this morning and dropped the keys.

5 hours later, they called with some problems. Apparently the vehicles system is not taking the recalibration and therefore the car won’t have the active safety features which my insurance knows I have (I don’t wanna risk driving if I know they’re disabled). The guy here in Fort Collins was very apologetic and kind but said he might want to keep the car for a day or two because he needs to see if there’s a fix that anyone knows about within their company. If there isn’t, he’s gonna try to get a piece of glass from Kia - which as far as I know doesn’t exist.

Has anyone tried to get replacement glass from Kia or Safelite? This all seems very strange... why wouldn’t there be replacements? And how difficult could it be to make the correct glass?
Thank you for the post! Sucks to hear about the windshield.

I have a small chip but it hasn't become an issue. This is good information however as I figured a recalibration would be needed!

Please keep us updated.

·
80 Posts
Hi Action123 - this is your old man friend down here in loveland. This is not good news. Especially since the Safelite ad on TV says they recalibrate and everything is just hunky dory when they're done. Does it sound like he just doesn't know how to do the recalibration? Have you tried Peak Kia as well over in windsor (assumed you talked to Tynans)? That's where I go, perhaps they would have different information or a dealer can do the actual recalibration?

·
1 Posts

I Just had mine replaced through SafeLite - they sub'd out the recalibration but it was done in one trip
The KIA dealer I called told me they do not replace the Seltos Windshield there is no OEM available
Safelite says this is an OEM windshield - I really don't know the difference but it is installed now and I can see through it

·
80 Posts
Great news! Guess we shouldn't feel bad as I imagine soon every car will require this advanced stuff just to replace the windshield....

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Action123 - this is your old man friend down here in loveland. This is not good news. Especially since the Safelite ad on TV says they recalibrate and everything is just hunky dory when they're done. Does it sound like he just doesn't know how to do the recalibration? Have you tried Peak Kia as well over in windsor (assumed you talked to Tynans)? That's where I go, perhaps they would have different information or a dealer can do the actual recalibration?
Hey! It sounds like he knows how to do it, but the car isn't taking the recalibration programming he's sending into it for some reason. I go through Fort Collins Kia for everything and they told me they have zero availability. I just talked to Ryan at Safelite again and he told me that he's giving me the car back today but with the aftermarket glass that isn't working for the camera. He found another Kia location somewhere with an OEM glass order and it's gonna be here on 4/9. I guess I'll just have to keep driving to a minimum until then..

The unfortunate part of this is that the cost is $1300+ and Kia won't help at all with recalibration unless it's OEM glass. So when the new glass is here he's gonna try again and if it doesn't work he'll hand it over to Fort Collins Kia to recalibrate. I found out the hard way that Geico has the same deductible for glass as my comprehensive coverage ($1000) even though they call it "glass coverage". I've only ever had $100 glass deductibles :rolleyes:

I Just had mine replaced through SafeLite - they sub'd out the recalibration but it was done in one trip
The KIA dealer I called told me they do not replace the Seltos Windshield there is no OEM available
Safelite says this is an OEM windshield - I really don't know the difference but it is installed now and I can see through it
Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly but are you saying they just skipped the recalibration? If so, is that causing any codes to light up your dashboard?

·
80 Posts
I checked in with my Allstate guy due to your experience. I have a $0 cost for windshield replacement and he said he would work with the Safelite district manager if there were problems in my case - Allstate uses Safelite also. But I think you're saying it's not really Safelite's issue....oi. Their ads certainly say the camera part is not a problem for them... Let us know who things go after the 9th!

·
2021 SX Turbo, Neptune Blue
72 Posts
Sorry you are going through all this.
Jeez, hope mine never breaks. What a PIA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts