Kia Seltos Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I am just about to head to the dealership to pull the trigger on a brand new Seltos SX Turbo (white).

I am curious if anyone has driven in snow yet on the stock tires and what their impression was.

Thanks!!!

·
2 Posts
Hi Matt, congrats on your future SX! I got my black SX a few days ago.

I personally wouldn't recommend going through winter with the stock Kumho Solus T91 tires, specially if you have considerable snow and ice like in Québec/Ontario.

I switched the 235/45R18 for winter 225/55R17 winter tires today. It's definitely noisier, although no snow here yet.

Here's a few vids review in the stock tire if ever..

- I believe it's in Korean, but fast forward to 2:30, there's a few interesting test results.

- À quick TireRack summary.

Cheers!

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Matt, congrats on your future SX! I got my black SX a few days ago.

I personally wouldn't recommend going through winter with the stock Kumho Solus T91 tires, specially if you have considerable snow and ice like in Québec/Ontario.

I switched the 235/45R18 for winter 225/55R17 winter tires today. It's definitely noisier, although no snow here yet.

Here's a few vids review in the stock tire if ever..

- I believe it's in Korean, but fast forward to 2:30, there's a few interesting test results.

- À quick TireRack summary.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply! Delivery is set for Friday, im excited! I decided to go with Blizzak's on the stock 18" rims. I'll just swap the rubber on the stock rim seasonally.

·
2021 Seltos SX Turbo Gravity Grey
17 Posts
Next Monday, Nov 16th, I am putting a set of Pirelli WIN IceZero FR on my SX Turbo on the stock 18" rims. I am in Vancouver BC and snow ski so I need good snow tires.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE
I took delivery of my Seltos Turbo yesterday and boy am I glad I went with the Blizzak WS90's! It had snowed over the last couple days making the residential roads hard packed and icy. These tires are amazing and meaty!

Also, the 4WD Lock function is really impressive and makes the vehicle stick to the road like glue.

·
9 Posts
The 17" stock rims off of my 'S" are gonna rot in my garage due to going w/ Platinum Flux chromes next week and the fact that I am A. retired as of 5-29-20 and, B. live in the greater Seattle area=snow/ice not big deal here. Wish there was a way to ship' em cheaper because I'd sell my stock rims(120 miles on' em) in a heartbeat and save some of you guys a small fortune over the years from staving off annual tire swaps due to weather. Gotta do two wheel swaps next week (Plat.Flux off of G70 onto Seltos, Drag-77 virtual chromes onto the G70) and should cost about $215 US..If they charge you for TPMS rebuild(12), M&B(84) and recommend new hubcentic rings(20), your out 116+tax=ouch...

·
2021 Kia Seltos SX Turbo Lunar Orange
54 Posts
Stock tires are fine for me. I’m in Edmonton, Alberta. Never had winter tires in 50 years of driving. Also no accidents. I just drive to the elements. It may not be for everyone but it works for me. Unfortunately when this topic comes up on some forums the discussion gets nasty.

I will say, though, that, like most of my vehicles, I will upgrade these before they are worn out to something like the Conti DWS or LS. I put the LS on my wife’s new Beetle before taking delivery because the stock tires were so bad.
I can live with these for a couple of winters.

·
9 Posts
Stock tires are fine for me. I’m in Edmonton, Alberta. Never had winter tires in 50 years of driving. Also no accidents. I just drive to the elements. It may not be for everyone but it works for me. Unfortunately when this topic comes up on some forums the discussion gets nasty.

I will say, though, that, like most of my vehicles, I will upgrade these before they are worn out to something like the Conti DWS or LS. I put the LS on my wife’s new Beetle before taking delivery because the stock tires were so bad.
Crusader, I love Conti's and that was my go-to brand, especially the dry/wet/snow issue, but I think due to primarily pricing I morphed into a Cooper CS5 Ultra fan, and that is what resides on my G70. That said, I am way OK w/the stock rubber on my Seltos and-given the traditionally mellow winters in the Greater Seattle area, I-like you-just drive to the elements..I am pretty sure I have joined a Forum where the overwhelming # of members are from the Great White North so I will have to censure some of my thought process re: winter-related issues-it has been some 55 years since my folks left Rochester, Mn but I do remember building snow forts as a 7 yr. old in 4 ft of the white stuff.

·
56 Posts
Crusader, I love Conti's and that was my go-to brand, especially the dry/wet/snow issue, but I think due to primarily pricing I morphed into a Cooper CS5 Ultra fan, and that is what resides on my G70. That said, I am way OK w/the stock rubber on my Seltos and-given the traditionally mellow winters in the Greater Seattle area, I-like you-just drive to the elements..I am pretty sure I have joined a Forum where the overwhelming # of members are from the Great White North so I will have to censure some of my thought process re: winter-related issues-it has been some 55 years since my folks left Rochester, Mn but I do remember building snow forts as a 7 yr. old in 4 ft of the white stuff.
I have the stock tires here in Connecticut and after some snow storms, they have preformed just fine. I deliberately tried some tricky spots and it walked out of them like a champ. No complaints here but when they wear out I'm getting the New Michelin 3 season Cross Climates 2 rated best all around tires. !!!

·
5 Posts

I'm in Eastern Ontario and will stay with the stock tires, too. My 2000 Sportage was equipped with slightly more aggressive tires for the off road driving I did way back then. Since then, my Kia Rondos were both riding on All Season tires with no issues and I'm a firm believer in 'drive to the condition of the road.'

·
9 Posts

How did you find it's performance on the black ice the truckers pound into the highways? Ive always had fwd cars and these ice tracks have always, even with winter tires, been precarious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts