Kia Seltos Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
2021 Seltos EX in Deep Ocean Blue
10 Posts
Hey folks, just to add to this, my local Kia dealer recommended NOT going with a 16" for anything but the LX FWD. He says that he ordered a couple of pallets of steel 16" rims assuming the Seltos would take them, but when he tried to fit them on AWD models he found them to be too tight to the calipers and worried that ice accumulation could cause damage to the brake assembly. He too was disappointed because lots of former Soul owners expect this same downsizing option, apparently.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I know little about these things, but would love to save the $$$ now and in the future on smaller tires...

Thanks!

·
2021 Seltos EX Premium
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Hey folks, just to add to this, my local Kia dealer recommended NOT going with a 16" for anything but the LX FWD. He says that he ordered a couple of pallets of steel 16" rims assuming the Seltos would take them, but when he tried to fit them on AWD models he found them to be too tight to the calipers and worried that ice accumulation could cause damage to the brake assembly. He too was disappointed because lots of former Soul owners expect this same downsizing option, apparently.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I know little about these things, but would love to save the $$$ now and in the future on smaller tires...

Thanks!
I have 16-inch alloy rims (not steel) installed on my EX premium and they are fine, so not sure why steel would be any different. I even got the 16-inch recommendation in writing from my dealer. Maybe your dealer ordered the wrong offset size?
Specs are: Rims 5 bolt, 114.3 aka 17x7 with 67.1 mm center bore, 43 offset.

And lucky me, there is snow on the ground this morning, so I get to try them out :(

·
55 Posts
I’m in Colorado and spend a lot of time getting around the mountains during the winter between snowmobile spots and my house up in the hills with roads that are barely plowed (if they even get to plowing them).

We had 10-12” about a week ago and I put on a set of General Altimax Arctic 12 tires - they did extraordinarily well. It was $670 for the set of 4 with TPMS and mounting/balancing on my OEM 18” SX wheels. The only non-studded tire I would recommend above it for deep snow and snowpack would be the Nokian Hakkapeliita, but I haven’t seen a good deal on those in awhile. I got them for $165/tire on my 2013 Ford Escape. I’ll never forget what a tank that thing was in the snow. I think they run about $240/tire these days.

I really only lease cars so it’s not worth the $$ to me to buy more expensive tires, but my cousin runs Blizzaks on his Porsche Macan and likes those. Their speed rating isn’t ideal but they perform well. I haven’t driven on X-Ice but I’ve heard good things - although the general commentary is that the Nokians still have the edge in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4 Posts
Is anybody using snow tires without installing the TPMS installed and is so is it just a little warning light that shows?
My daughter does not want to spend the extra $200 plus for tires she is just going to have on the car for a few months.

·
2021 Seltos EX Premium
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is anybody using snow tires without installing the TPMS installed and is so is it just a little warning light that shows?
My daughter does not want to spend the extra $200 plus for tires she is just going to have on the car for a few months.
I don't have TPMS on my winter rims. For the first few car starts, it provided a warning screen, but that went away on its own (or you can cancel it manually), and that bigger message has now been replaced by a small yellow pressure warning light that I really don't notice. I think the first bigger warning message needed some mileage and a few confirmations from me before it went away. Now all I get is the small warning light on the dash.

·
4 Posts
I don't have TPMS on my winter rims. For the first few car starts, it provided a warning screen, but that went away on its own (or you can cancel it manually), and that bigger message has now been replaced by a small yellow pressure warning light that I really don't notice. I think the first bigger warning message needed some mileage and a few confirmations from me before it went away. Now all I get is the small warning light on the dash.
Great...thanks for the quick reply...you never know how these new vehicles are going to react.

·
2 Posts

Thanks!
Hi, I have the SX Turbo that came with 235/45R18. My dealership also suggested not to go under 17" because of the brake assembly. The size they recommended was 215/55R17 for my trim's winter tires.

I plan to put my previous car's 225/55R17 tires on as they are still capable for another winter. After a few validations, the dealership confirmed the 225 width would do just fine (offset ratio and AWD calculation wise). Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

·
4 Posts
My daughter had a previous Kia and so we have left over worn out snow tires on 16 rims.
I will be installing them soon to see if there is any rim/brake clearance problems before we go a head buying 16 tires for it.
I will report back.

·
5 Posts
I have the Seltos SX. Bought some Michelin X-Ice Snow 205/60R16. Live in Edmonton. Crazy Winters. So far these tires have been amazing! Also, the AWD system also seems to be pretty great too. Handles amazing.

·
12 Posts
I put a set of Pirelli WIN IceZero FR (235/45/18) on my SX Turbo on the stock rims due to the tire pressure gauge cost if I used separate rims. I am in Vancouver BC and snow ski so I need good snow tires.

·
4 Posts
Canadian Tire does have a 16 rim option with the 205 - 60 - 16 Winter Trek studable tire. They fit...price with new rims and studs but no TPMS was $951 in BC.
If you don’t want studs subtract $119

21 - 31 of 31 Posts